I'm the old guy but at least I'm new guy here

Dave Pass

Hi all, Hafa adai all the way from Guam! I actually was tasked to find out more about MDs and got interested in the hobby. I have to take care of my task first though. I'm totally clueless and ask for your big brains for help!

This is my problem. I work in a cemetery and we have "plot markers" that indicate where the plots are. Thru time, they have been covered by grass and dirt. The markers have a round 3" disk on the top and about a 4" spike going down. I think it's made of Aluminum. The soil is clay and coral rocks

I went to rent a metal detector at a local rental place and it did not pick up the marker at all. I think it was just for Ferrous metals(?)

A few questions

Do most MDs detect aluminum?

If I had to purchase a MD what would you recommend for this task? Specifically for this task.

Will a entry to mid level do okay for this job?

Thank you so much in advance! Happy New Year everyone, and happy hunting in 2018!

I can't think of a decent detector that couldn't pick up a 3" aluminum disk at even 6" down. There will be some people come along here in a few minutes who will tell you of some of the lower cost entry-level (but GOOD) metal detectors out there. Do you remember what the type of detector the rental place rented you?

And I doubt you are 'the old guy' among the folks on this board! :)

I can't think of a decent detector that couldn't pick up a 3" aluminum disk at even 6" down. There will be some people come along here in a few minutes who will tell you of some of the lower cost entry-level (but GOOD) metal detectors out there. Do you remember what the type of detector the rental place rented you?

And I doubt you are 'the old guy' among the folks on this board! :)

Thanks for the quick reply! The description says LOCATOR MAGNETIC & CABLE.
I can't make out the brand or anything. Here is the link to a pic

https://www.eastwestrental.com/equipment.asp?action=category&category=83&key=LOCATOR

Yeah I think you may have the wrong equipment for whay you ate trying to do. That's more of a utility locating tool. And I think Texaspast is right just about any detector would do for what your looking for.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

I've used the Xterra 705 for exactly that purpose. Works great, once you find one marker you just notch out everything else.

Good luck.

Hello from Western Australia! Just about any detector would do, you probably don't need a high end machine for that job. If you think you'll want to continue the hobby, then perhaps invest in a more advanced one with more capabilities and features, but if not, then a simple $50-$100 machine will get the job done.

Btw, you're lucky being able to detect in a cemetery! :wow: I've always wanted to hunt one (not over the graves of course!!), but around the outskirts but it seems many people are very sensitive when it comes to cemeteries.

I’ve located frisbee golf flag pole holders in the grass at the frisbee golf course using the Teknetics Eurotek Pro with perfect results. Good luck!

Any detector would work, one with discrimination would work better. With discrimination you can set the machine to ignore everything but markers.
A Garret 150 would probably work fine. Any name brand detectors with discrimination would work. I think they all have discrimination once you get over the $100 point, after that it's Ford verses Chevy.

Welcome from Dodge City

Sounds like you just didn't have it set right. Many detectors by default will ignore aluminum unless its pretty good sized. I'll bet had you put that detector in All Metal Mode (AM) it would have found the markers.

Just like searching for treasure, sometimes it's right under your nose!

Thank you everyone for the great advice. Ironically, when I posted on Facebook if any of my friends had a MD I could borrow, my own son posted that my Dad had not one but two Kellyco MP3 Pros!

I dug it out (buried under a bunch of stuff in Dad's garage) and bought 2 9v and I was good to go.

Like you all stated I was able to detect the markers fairly easy. I had it set too high at first and I was getting all kinds of signals and tones. Apparently coral rocks (calcium and minerals?) are detected when set high. . I pretty much set it at a lower setting and was able to find the markers.

On the hobby side....I wonder how it will do at the beaches here since it's mostly dead coral sand. I remember years ago a friend was treasure hunting here on Guam but gave up the hobby. I asked why and he said there was way to much junk from the war (WWII) and didn't seem to find anything of value. We are a tourist destination for Asia so I was thinking of hitting the popular beaches here. Won't know till I try!

Again thank you everyone! Good luck on your searching and be safe!

Last edited:
Update on MD good for Cemetery plot markers

Hey, I realize I kind of closed this thread but I wanted to relay this updat info for anyone that may need it.

The Kellyco MP3 worked perfectly. I had problems with sensitivity and quickly discovered I just had to set it at the lowest sensitivity. The plot markers are large and near the surface anyway.

I went and bought the Garrett 150 for the cemetery which was recommended. The price was right and worked perfectly.

Again thank you all for the help and happy prospecting!

Back
Top Bottom