tesoro users opinions

woodbutcher

Forum Supporter
I recently sold my at pro.I thought it was a good machine but I never had the fun I had with my b.h.tracker 5..I had more fun with the beep and dig for some reason.I'm not a everyday user so I'm looking at the cheaper tesoro like a silver umax.and advice?also there's a golden umax for 89 bucks on craigslist that is from the 80s but sez it works.

I recently sold my at pro.I thought it was a good machine but I never had the fun I had with my b.h.tracker 5..I had more fun with the beep and dig for some reason.I'm not a everyday user so I'm looking at the cheaper tesoro like a silver umax.and advice?also there's a golden umax for 89 bucks on craigslist that is from the 80s but sez it works.

Not sure how good that golden would be at that price and that age.
Buy new and the lifetime warranty and free service comes with it.
A new Compadre would set you back about $160, there is way more fun packed into that thing than the price lets on and a great entry detector that can teach you the Tesoro way of hunting very easily...and productively, too.

A Silver adds a knob and a little more adjustment, although that Compadre has a couple superpowers the the rest of the Tesoro line does not.

A Cibola costs more because it has more knobs, (starting to see a trend here?), and the depth is starting to get crazy deep at this point, but the 8" Compadre and the Silver are no slouches in the depth department, either.

The Golden is discontinued, but it is a multiple tone unit that is excellent for park hunting among other things.

The Vaq is my baby, a Cibola with manual GB.

From there you get more features and even more depth and some changes in frequency and all kinds of other great do dads, but start out in the low end to see if you like this audio only style of hunting and whatever you get will eventually finance an upgrade for you.

By the way, these are all not actually beep and dig units like many think.
They have a rich and informative language that can tell you volumes once you learn it, even the ones with just one tone, and hunting with one of these with no screens is never considered a handicap in the hands of an understanding owner.

Digger27's info is like Gospel on this. He has some awesome detailed posts here on using the Compadre, with Picts of the gold and where they disc'd out etc. very helpful information (thanks Digger!)

I started out on a BH prospector (same as a Tracker 5), and moved onto a Compadre. Had almost a year on the BH, and have been using the Compadre 8 since early February (bought from Jeff @ Quality Metal Detectors on here).

It was more of an adjustment than I cared to admit, so keep in mind switching to a different detector takes some getting used to. That said, 1/2 a year into the Compadre I love it. I don't consider myself to know all the nuances of the tones at all, but it is slowly coming about.

I had a hard time pinpointing at first but I don't anymore. I used to miss the two tones offered by the BH ("silver" vs "gold"), but I don't anymore.

I used to worry I was missing deeper stuff or jewelry (gold/silver) with the BH, I don't have that fear with the Compadre.

I like the simplicity of the unit. 1 9volt, 1 knob that is mostly kept nearly between the I and R in "Iron". I do move it around sometimes to see where the target discs out, but honestly, if it's beeping reliably at that setting I dig it.

3 gold rings, and 2 silver rings, 1 silver cross so far this year with the Compadre :)

Happy hunting!

For $89 better grab it if its the bigger plastic box or the new small umax box.
You can probably double your money reselling it.

thanks

Thanks for. All the info. I'm gonna grab the golden cause the price is cheap and still get a compare.the golden is a long square box I think from the 80s,looks like a pic I saw online of the 1st ones made

Thanks for. All the info. I'm gonna grab the golden cause the price is cheap and still get a compare.the golden is a long square box I think from the 80s,looks like a pic I saw online of the 1st ones made

Yeah, I would snag that for $89!

Let us know how it goes!

Back
Top Bottom