Best Saltwater Machine used for under 600 AND best land machine used under 300

Swinglow

Elite Member
Forum Supporter
Damn you saltwater pirates dragging me over to the dark side!

So here's my deal. I'm a dirt guy who swings an XP Deus. While it works reasonably well in wet/dry sand, after hunting the beach last weekend with Bruce, Craig, Angel and another guy whose name escapes me, I'm thinking it's time for a dedicated water machine. Being the only one not able to get in the water that day made me feel like the school nerd, left to play by myself :(

I was trying to find something that would be suitable for land and water so my fiancé could use it in the dirt when I'm not using it in the water. That would limit me to an AT pro but that's not gonna cut it in the saltwater so I'm thinking the best route would be for me to buy a used water machine and another used, lower end dirt machine.

So here's the deal. Up to $900 to spend and I need TWO used machines.

-1 for the dirt that has different coil options available for 300 or less

-1 for salt water that can be submerged completely for 600 or less

BONUS: If anyone has used machines and would like to trade them for gold or silver coins, let me know!

Last edited:
Sell your Deus and add the 750 and get a CTX that will do both. Salt water detectors are not cheap. There is no way around that. Salt water submerging? Excal, CZ, CTX, or a PI unit.

Sell your Deus and add the 750 and get a CTX that will do both. Salt water detectors are not cheap. There is no way around that. Salt water submerging? Excal, CZ, CTX, or a PI unit.

That's not an option. I can't do it. I love my Deus too much. :D

I was considering the CZ-20, but I've been reading about people having trouble with Fisher doing repairs on them. Seems they send you an insanely high repair quote because they'd rather you buy the CZ-21. I did see someone selling a CZ-20 on here.

Sand Shark or used Beach Hunter for the saltwater and I still go to the AT Pro or a used Xterra for the dirt.

CZs are built like a tank and IMO no more expensive to repair the a comparable Minelab. At least Fisher is in the US.

The Sea Hunter is real work horse and for the money you can get one new with call the goodies for your budget. It has a leg up on the tesoro machine because the coik and headphones are not hardwired. You can interchange them for your hunting conditions. FWIW, had my sea hunter for five years and was very pleased, never needed service, but like any PI machine it lacked disc. However, hunting in the water usually means less trash and disc is not as important as hunting inland

There is a CZ20 in the classifieds for $575 and a number of used machines available for your leftover funds. :yes:

aryca case & antenna = waterproof deus for $30 bucks...

see if you like hunting the water before hemorraging cash...my 2 cents.

Not sure how much you can get one for used? But I'm really liking my CZ21. That grill I posted was found with it in rough surf buried deep. And a CZ21 can go 250 ft under water

I would go for a CZ21, and would have no problem using it on land. It is a very simple machine to use, and could easily be used for land hunting by just digging high tones. I like the 10.5" coil on the CZ, I have a CZ6a with 8" coil and it just feels tiny. Pretty sure I got my CZ21 for $900 shipped from a sponsor.

If you hunt where we hunt... do not get a pulse unless you ask us first... although... I wouldn't mind following you with my Excal after you have cleaned out the hundreds of ferrous targets :lol:

A used Excal, CZ20 are your best options... until ML gets all the chinks out of the CTX I would suggest staying away from that thing.

If you hunt where we hunt... do not get a pulse unless you ask us first... although... I wouldn't mind following you with my Excal after you have cleaned out the hundreds of ferrous targets :lol:

A used Excal, CZ20 are your best options... until ML gets all the chinks out of the CTX I would suggest staying away from that thing.

:lol: I'm testing CZ21's hoping to get out of the excal ll owners group. Excal ll is like a motorcycle rider. Those that have been down. And those that are going down. Think my battery just cracked after a temperature change. Recommend not storing it with the ikelite connector screwed on.

My neighbor is selling an excal 2 for 750, so a nice water machine can be had for cheap(er)

I'd buy it if I didn't hear all these horror stories with having to maintain them like a ferrari

not trying to derail... but I just bought an RTG #733 so I could submerge my ATpro in saltwater. besides being a VLF and having the gaskets in good, isn't it submergable in salt water to 10 feet? going to get waist deep when the scoop arrives. I can run it 6/8 bars stock coil no falsing. GB is 14. thanks.

Deus has come out with a kit to make the XP waterproof, for about $75....

Here is the link info:

A detailed description of the kit and its components can be found on this link to XP's main site -

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/news/aerial-antenna-the-xp-waterproof-armband

Damn you saltwater pirates dragging me over to the dark side!

So here's my deal. I'm a dirt guy who swings an XP Deus. While it works reasonably well in wet/dry sand, after hunting the beach last weekend with Bruce, Craig, Angel and another guy whose name escapes me, I'm thinking it's time for a dedicated water machine. Being the only one not able to get in the water that day made me feel like the school nerd, left to play by myself :(

I was trying to find something that would be suitable for land and water so my fiancé could use it in the dirt when I'm not using it in the water. That would limit me to an AT pro but that's not gonna cut it in the saltwater so I'm thinking the best route would be for me to buy a used water machine and another used, lower end dirt machine.

So here's the deal. Up to $900 to spend and I need TWO used machines.

-1 for the dirt that has different coil options available for 300 or less

-1 for salt water that can be submerged completely for 600 or less

BONUS: If anyone has used machines and would like to trade them for gold or silver coins, let me know!

:lol: I'm testing CZ21's hoping to get out of the excal ll owners group. Excal ll is like a motorcycle rider. Those that have been down. And those that are going down. Think my battery just cracked after a temperature change. Recommend not storing it with the ikelite connector screwed on.
How is the CZ-21 testing going so far? I have one on the way that I'm excited to try. From what I've seen/read, they go deep and love the salt water.

Dewcon has a great CZ20 well within your price range. Great water machine.

Little over $300 but a Whites Coinmaster GT has a beach setting that tweaks the Ground tracking for wet sand.. So you honey can stay with you in the wet sand. I think they street for about $370 (I paid list). PM flphil of Myers Metal Detectors for a price quote. He is in Tampa and sells about 10 of the GTs a month as they work well in the dirt as well as the beach. Personally I have not used it on the beach yet but the beach mode has been utilized in high EMI areas as it helps with that as well.

Back
Top Bottom