A good day ALMOST turned into a bad day!

Kapi

Forum Supporter
I finally found an area of heavy targets but only managed to find a small 14K belly button ring and a cool old GolfTracer's - Royal Blackheath Clothing Button.

When I got home I decided to take some photos but when I went to unload my pouch I realized my orange Garret Pinpointer (Mr.Carrot the second) was missing. Ut oh! Where I hunted was not close to my home. I called Karen who was still in the area and she went to look for it but could not find it. I jumped in the Jeep and headed back there.

The parking lot was almost empty because of the light rain but I noticed someone had parked in the spot I had parked and went down to the beach to see if they were there. A few guys were fishing so I asked them if they arrived in the black pickup truck in the parking lot. They said yes. So I asked them if they found anything that looked like an orange carrot back up where they parked and they said YES! YAY!!!

I gave them 10 bucks for their honesty and headed back home. Whew, didn't want another lost Mr. Carrot.

PS the stones fake

Attachments

• March 8 17 Targets.jpg
    March 8 17 Targets.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 741
  • March 8 17 gold and button.jpg
    March 8 17 gold and button.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 746
  • March 8 17 Button 4.jpg
    March 8 17 Button 4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 755
  • Lost Carrot.jpg
    Lost Carrot.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 754
Love sure does crazy things to your brain...Poor Mr Carrot needs more of that too!

If you leave your PPer at home you won't lose it :D a little gold is better than none or silver :yes:

:dingding: Congrats on getting the gold. If you abandon Mr. Carrot again as an obligated official for the State of Florida I will have no choice but to report you to DCF - Department of Carrots and Families.

What LUCK!

I saw a bag of carrots run over by a car at the FoodMart, it was not a pretty sight.
Nice of you to clean the beach before my arrival next month.
No call from CCODER last night, guess he did as well as I did, 53 cents.
Was the stone in the BBRing good? Hoping so.

I too have suffered from this malady,,, loosing stuff while detectorizing.
It is a basic situational awareness issue.
We become so engrossed in our quest that our focus narrows and we become less aware of our actions and consequently we end of doing things such as forgetting to holster our equipment.
My training and education as a USCG Licensed Master included courses in situational awareness and wheelhouse management, to simultaneously maintain overview of the big picture while managing small details.
While it is taught in the context of a team environment, one of the "conditions" is fixation or preoccupation. When our brain enters this mode, we loose control or sight of our condition. Fatigue and overload are other contributing factors.
Muscle memory and routine can assist you in avoiding these pitfalls.
I have developed a strict routine after closing up a hole,, before standing back up I employ a little check list in which I use my hands to check that all my equipment is in it's assigned holster/placement.
This includes a final re-scan of the hole before moving on.

---Or you can just purchase a lanyard for your pinpointer!

Happy you found gold and #2 as well. But remember how you found all the treasure where you lost Carrot #1. Now just think of what you could have dug up if you hadn't recovered #2. :?: Anyway go to Wal Mart to the fishing dept and but a plastic bunjy clip. hook one end to #2 and the other end to a belt loop or belt buckle. By the way Kap. itsa has you beat as of yesterday's show and tell. Go Larry!:lol:

Happy you found gold and #2 as well. But remember how you found all the treasure where you lost Carrot #1. Now just think of what you could have dug up if you hadn't recovered #2. :?: Anyway go to Wal Mart to the fishing dept and but a plastic bunjy clip. hook one end to #2 and the other end to a belt loop or belt buckle. By the way Kap. itsa has you beat as of yesterday's show and tell. Go Larry!:lol:
\

I considered that! But I was pretty sure the parking lot was where I lost him and I'm not sure if the parking lot would give up enough gold to make up for the loss of my little orange friend. I'll have to look into a lanyard or clip thingy.

As for Larry's post the only part that matters is the gold! His gold was .9 grams, mines 1.2 so I win! Seriously though I was so happy he found gold as he was getting into a slump and we were considering changing his title to MrGoldSlumpy or something.

I too have suffered from this malady,,, loosing stuff while detectorizing.
It is a basic situational awareness issue.
We become so engrossed in our quest that our focus narrows and we become less aware of our actions and consequently we end of doing things such as forgetting to holster our equipment.
My training and education as a USCG Licensed Master included courses in situational awareness and wheelhouse management, to simultaneously maintain overview of the big picture while managing small details.
While it is taught in the context of a team environment, one of the "conditions" is fixation or preoccupation. When our brain enters this mode, we loose control or sight of our condition. Fatigue and overload are other contributing factors.
Muscle memory and routine can assist you in avoiding these pitfalls.
I have developed a strict routine after closing up a hole,, before standing back up I employ a little check list in which I use my hands to check that all my equipment is in it's assigned holster/placement.
This includes a final re-scan of the hole before moving on.

---Or you can just purchase a lanyard for your pinpointer!

That was a great reply! Thanks! You're right about the out of routine part. Normally I can easily take my pouch off after a hunt but yesterday it was so heavy and tilting over that I had to remove it a bit different than normal. That caused it to flip over even more, enough to let the pinpointer fall out. How is it I don't see that on the ground I mean come on it's big and orange! Even when I backed out I should have noticed it there but situational awareness kicks in like you say and I was focused on other things.

You got lucky with #2... Do you use a scoop?

Yeah I use a t-rex with a carbon fiber shaft but I love finding the small gold so I end up digging the tiniest of things so the pin pointer helps me find it quick and move along. On the larger targets I just kick the sand aside until I see it.

Too funny..... Nice BB Ring!

Thanks! My first gold belly button thingy. The rest have all been junk.

I got the same one!!!! Love it!

I'll have to get one of those!

10 bucks, Meyers has them, here is the pick, Earl

Thanks Earl!

I saw a bag of carrots run over by a car at the FoodMart, it was not a pretty sight.
Nice of you to clean the beach before my arrival next month.
No call from CCODER last night, guess he did as well as I did, 53 cents.
Was the stone in the BBRing good? Hoping so.

Great Mr. Carrot it going to have nightmares now as he was sitting here reading posts with me and I didn't expect such a horrific reply. I had to use chocolate to lure him out of the closet for today's hunt. I think he's doing better now as I explained they were probably fake carrots for a child's school project. His vibrating is more noticeable now, fear still I suppose. Conditions here have been horrible but the last few days some spots seem to be setting up nicely. I'll try to save you some gold for your visit :)

:dingding: Congrats on getting the gold. If you abandon Mr. Carrot again as an obligated official for the State of Florida I will have no choice but to report you to DCF - Department of Carrots and Families.

Oh no! :laughing::laughing::laughing: You crack me up :)

If you leave your PPer at home you won't lose it :D a little gold is better than none or silver :yes:

I wish I could break my habit of using him for the tiny stuff and leave him home. This time of year I do a lot of wet sand hunting as the ocean is too rough to get into.

Love sure does crazy things to your brain...Poor Mr Carrot needs more of that too!

See now there's a good reply and explanation! :grin: Mr. Carrot has been eyeing Larry's TRX...

nice little gold. geez your pouch must have weighed 20lbs with all those weights. nice you.got the carrot back.

It sure did! I dumped 20 or so of them into a hole near where I get off the beach and went back for them at the end of the hunt. Heavy stuff!

Congrats on the gold and not losing a 2nd Propointer...been there done that:lol:

Thanks! Hope I never lose another! Perhaps it's lanyard time...

get a lanyard for this carrot. although it does make for a good story:laughing:

I think I just may do that! :) Thanks!

Next thing you know we'll be reading about Mr Carrot being left in a hot car without a window being open.

\

As for Larry's post the only part that matters is the gold! His gold was .9 grams, mines 1.2 so I win! Seriously though I was so happy he found gold as he was getting into a slump and we were considering changing his title to MrGoldSlumpy or something.

The only part that matters is Larry's gold. Watch out Larry. She is worried about you pulling ahead of her on the finds dept.:lol:

Back
Top Bottom