New here, looking for some advice

justinham01

Hi everyone! I'm from Farmington Hills, MI area and would like to get into metal detecting. Both my 9 year old son and I have expressed interest in the idea, and after investigating through this forums and others, I am very interested. My son and I are outdoors types, so it seems like a great way to spend some time together. I'm looking to purchase my first detector (budget around 800 - 1K) and one for my son (budget 100-300; he's a tall 9 year old who's mature/careful with items). I'm sure this hobby will be fun for the both of us, and we've already started making a list of locations to investigate!

Your recommendations for two machines would be very helpful in my decision. I wanted to introduce myself, ask for recommendations, and keep reading the great wealth of info on these forums!

Thank you, Justin.

Welcome from South Carolina !!!!!

Well, the one question the more experienced detectorists on this forum might ask to help you decide which models might be best for your situation is where you mostly plan to hunt, on dry ground or wet beaches ?

That will give them needed info to help you.

Re: Where will I mainly be searching?

I suspect mostly in dry grounds around Michigan vs. beaches, though I'd like to have the option of wet beach if that is possible. Suspect most of our searching would be for relics and coins.

Thanks,
Justin

Welcome from Northeast Ohio
Detector for you would be Fisher F75. They are offering an anniversary edition standard model for under $600 (which I own and like), or Garrett AT Pro, about the same price. Both are good detectors although I personally don't care for the balance and feel of the AT Pro. For your son, Garrett Ace 250, Ace 300, or Fisher F2. Also consider a couple of pinpointers, you won't go wrong with Garrett ProPointer AT, and a digging tool like the Lesche digging tool. Buy the genuine Lesche tool, not the Chinese knock offs offered by some online dealers, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks for the recommendations, appreciate it! Funny thing is, I was just researching and came across the Fisher F75 and was reading the specs! Seems like a great starter unit. I was also searching F2/F22 and Ace 250/350 for my son. Thank you for also recommending the pinpointed and digging tool.

Welcome from New Jersey! I am also new and found this forum filled with friendly people, useful information and great tips!

So I know he is only nine here, but if he is tall and mature and is an outdoorsy kid, I'd suggest to keep the machines closer to equal.

Imagine taking your kid deer hunting and giving him a 22 revolver while your sporting a weatherby 300 win mag, and wonder while he might be frustrated with his success.

Just a thought but maybe 2 ATPro' or 2 T2's or perhaps one of each. A F75 & a T2 maybe if he wants to be different than dad.

Set him to be successful and keep a hunting partner!

Ken C. - Thanks for welcome... agree, wealth of info on these forums from very nice people!

Big Treble - You've provided some wise information about keeping the units similar! I continue to research an look into the many great models that are available. Will check out the ones you recommended.

Thx,
Justin

Up until 12-29 you can get a screaming deal on an F75.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?p=2693471#post2693471
Right under that in line a new F70 is always available for about the $600 or so range...I use that one and do very well.

If you want to stay in that lower price for your son the F22, an F44 is a bit more.
The F5 is a big boy's detector for about $500.
As you can notice I am a big Fisher fan but there are plenty others.
Michigan soil should be good in your area and these all will work well.

Call dealers for the best prices, advertised prices are one thing, real prices are another.

So I know he is only nine here, but if he is tall and mature and is an outdoorsy kid, I'd suggest to keep the machines closer to equal.

Imagine taking your kid deer hunting and giving him a 22 revolver while your sporting a weatherby 300 win mag, and wonder while he might be frustrated with his success.

Just a thought but maybe 2 ATPro' or 2 T2's or perhaps one of each. A F75 & a T2 maybe if he wants to be different than dad.

Set him to be successful and keep a hunting partner!

Yeah...then you can share batteries, coils, headphones, etc......You guys could be a heck of a team with one rocking a large coil and the other a sniper...switching rigs back and forth even...then its not about your gear as much as it is about you two hunting a site together...you could 'wishbone' your phones and listen to the same target off of one rig even, then dig it up...
Mud

Welcome to the forum! I started with a Fisher F4 and used it for several years until I bought a Garrett AT Pro. My almost 14 year old son has been using the F4 ever since and does very well with it, quite often beating me in the interesting finds category! The AT Pro is waterproof and will let you be more flexible when you find yourself near water. You'll also want a couple of pin pointers....I use a Garrett Pro Pointer and my son uses the Garrett Pro Pointer AT which is waterproof. As for digging tools, you can go cheap to start but in the end you'll find Lesche is the way to go when you're ready to get serious! You guys will want something to put your finds in when you're out in the field as well and a nail apron will do in the beginning. This is the equipment that's working for me and my son right now and I hope this info helps you!

Thank you everyone!

Thank you for the recommendations. I do like keeping the units the same... probably easier to learn together and we can help each other out! Also can save similar units.

My head is exploding with all the options! :?:

I'm pondering the following:

Garrett AT Pro Fall Bonus Pack vs. L75 Gold Anniversary (both about same price)
vs. Wait for the upgrade AT Pro... sounds like more info coming in Jan./Feb.

Splurge for one L75LTD2 and one L75 (most costly... don't know if I need the features of L75LTD2. Being new the sport, I likely wouldn't go this route unless the features of L75LTD2 are really that advantageous for relic and coin. Relic would like be in hold homesteads, fields and woods.

-Justin

I found an Ozark trail fanny pack at walmart in the camping section for about seven bucks that I like. It is built pretty well, has a plastic clasp that has held up well and has a large pocket I use for junk with a small pocket in front of it for coins. Both have zippers. No problem hanging my pinpointer and digger from the nylon strap belt. I spin it to the left so the pouch is on my left hip which makes all that kneeling and standing easier. For seven bucks you can't beat it. The nail pouch I used for years got tiresome as the bow I would tie would slip and it would hang lower as time went on. HH

Welcome aboard from central Massachusetts.

If you can share coils on that Fisher group of machines, that may be the way to go. You can't do that with the AT Pro and other Garrett machines.

Keep us posted!

My suggestion, dad should get the AT gold and your son should get an at pro. Take the extra cash and buy a couple Pinpointers and other needed accessories. Welcome from central MA!

Back
Top Bottom