Couple cool research pics

shedncoin

Just wanted to share one of my best research finds. First picture is from 1951. Its a ball diamond at our local park. Surprisingly my dad born in '45 and growing up two miles away cant remember it.
The second picture is how it looks today. You'd never know it was there. I've hit it four times pretty hard and only managed a '54 quarter, two buffalos from the forties, and a couple wheaties. One problem is the park quit cutting the field years ago so its so thick you can barely swing. Still I'm glad I learned about it.

Attachments

• 20161029_220202.jpg
    20161029_220202.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 20161029_220249-800x591.jpg
    20161029_220249-800x591.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 288
Good research, that looks like a great place, maybe as the grass goes dormant it will be easier to swing in.

Good research, that looks like a great place, maybe as the grass goes dormant it will be easier to swing in.

I actually hunted it last winter and early spring. Grass and weeds were better, and with a 6" coil was able to cover it fairly well. Surprisingly not many targets of any kind. One other issue late in the year is its all kinda low ground. As soon as you cut a plug, its full of water. Might be why it never lasted as a ball feild...poor drainage.

Ball field

Where were most of the coins found? I do lots of ball fields ner home. Seems like most of the finds are just right of center field about 30 feet from the fence.

I actually hunted it last winter and early spring. Grass and weeds were better, and with a 6" coil was able to cover it fairly well. Surprisingly not many targets of any kind. One other issue late in the year is its all kinda low ground. As soon as you cut a plug, its full of water. Might be why it never lasted as a ball feild...poor drainage.

If it's saturated much of the time, the targets could be beyond the depth of your coil/detector combo. How far down before you get to something harder, such as clay or limestone?

By the older pic, looks like at one time it was use more for than just backyard ball.

If it's saturated much of the time, the targets could be beyond the depth of your coil/detector combo. How far down before you get to something harder, such as clay or limestone?

By the older pic, looks like at one time it was use more for than just backyard ball.
BigTreb-
Theres about 6-8" of topsoil and then you hit the standard northern ohio clay. The buffs came out at only 2 or 3", the quarter was about 6.
Mikevet-
About 30 or 40 feet right of home plate.

Ed G-
About 18 miles south southwest of Cleveland.

Back
Top Bottom