Construction Sites?

Cylon_Detector

Alright, here's one for the permission experts,

I pass a construction site every day on my way to work. The county is tearing out some land and putting in a paved bike path. But they've cleared a lot of the land on both sides of the path and left a lot of fresh exposed dirt on either side. It's right on a main road and exposed but it might be neat to swing the coil over the fresh dirt before they grass seed it or sod it. The thing is the bike path winds through private properties (not sure how they got permission to install it, maybe those parts are county land?) I'm sure they're going to lay sidewalks down on the exposed dirt any day now. So I'd want to get out there soonish.

So is it possible for me to swing it without getting permission from the foreman/county (99% sure they'd deny me)? If it's considered "curb" or sidewalk is it public property? Should I wait until they quit for the day and head over this evening and do a little digging? Assuming I fill my holes no one would know I'd been there except all the drivers passing by.

Thanks.

I pass a construction site every day on my way to work. The county is tearing out some land and putting in a paved bike path. But they've cleared a lot of the land on both sides of the path and left a lot of fresh exposed dirt on either side. It's right on a main road and exposed but it might be neat to swing the coil over the fresh dirt before they grass seed it or sod it. The thing is the bike path winds through private properties (not sure how they got permission to install it, maybe those parts are county land?) I'm sure they're going to lay sidewalks down on the exposed dirt any day now. So I'd want to get out there soonish.

So is it possible for me to swing it without getting permission from the foreman/county (99% sure they'd deny me)? If it's considered "curb" or sidewalk is it public property? Should I wait until they quit for the day and head over this evening and do a little digging? Assuming I fill my holes no one would know I'd been there except all the drivers passing by.

Thanks.

I've pondered this a few times with constuction around my area. Is it fenced off (bright orange construction fence) in any way? It sounds like it's going to be used for public use, so why not go out there a bit early? Don't mess up the compacted dirt where they are going to lay the concrete, and go after work and get one of those bright orange construction vests and a white hard hat. Gotta look all "official" and stuff...

they are putting in a lot of Bike / walking paths here .. they used to be old railroad lines . could be what they are doing there as well

No fences or signage or anything like that. It's right across the road from my alma mater. And yeah I've always thought about dressing as a construction worker at places like that! So people actually go in disguise. Good to know!

No fences or signage or anything like that. It's right across the road from my alma mater. And yeah I've always thought about dressing as a construction worker at places like that! So people actually go in disguise. Good to know!

Well, a "disquise" could be a double edge sword. You don't want to say you are imitating a construction worker if asked or approached, it's more for appearance to people looking to "think" you are without having to ask. There's nothing against the law about wearing a "protective" construction vest or hard hat in public though, even if it could "oops" possibly appear to others that you are official and supposed to be there. See what I mean?

Just tell anyone who asks it's for safety so cars and pedestrians can clearly see you while you're doing your "work".

PS...I've never went and done anything like this in disquise. I just go normally and if anyone says anything, I just tell them to "kiss off" unless they have some authority, then it's "Yes, sir! or Yes, ma'am!" :laughing:

cylon detector, some oldtown demolition/scrape sites can be very lucrative. Eg.: sidewalk tearouts, old-town bldg teardowns, park turf scrape, etc..... To start with: There is a "right of way" for roads, paths, etc..... The edge of pavement most likely isn't "where private property starts". So I would remove "private property" from the list of concerns here, as I highly doubt that that's a factor here. And I see you got 2 gamuts of answer so far: Those that say "help yourself", to possibly Nectar's answer, who's link says:

"Get to Know the Builders. Don’t be that guy sneaking on a site because you think they don’t care....."

So to expand on the 2 gamuts/views:

A) Ask the county or the builders. Otherwise it's "sneaking around". Especially (gasp) if there orange cones around it, or ribbon. Or .... worse yet.... a temp. fencing. But heck, even with no fence or signs at all: We *still* shouldn't "assume". Thus it's our duty to go ask the powers-that-be, lest we "give a bad name to our hobby". Otherwise you could "be arrested" , machine confiscated, etc.... Eh ?

Then the county planning/building dept. will maybe need to put this decision in front of the council members at next month's council meeting for a vote. Then they'd maybe need to run the decision past the county legal counsel, have you sign "hold harmless agreements", and so forth, and so on.

Or....

B) Help yourself after 5pm. And odds are, no one cares less. Esp, as you say, there's no fence and it's county (public) property.

Guess which persuasion I'm of ? :laughing:

Let me ask you a question:

Once there is concrete there, and you are walking on it, is that trespassing?

If your answer is NO (hint-hint) then as far as I am concerned, you can walk on it (with a detector) when it is gravel and it is not trespassing.

Let me ask you a question:

Once there is concrete there, and you are walking on it, is that trespassing?

If your answer is NO (hint-hint) then as far as I am concerned, you can walk on it (with a detector) when it is gravel and it is not trespassing.

OK then, playing the devil's advocate here :

What do you say when someone reads your point of view here. And responds that we cannot compare merely "walking", to the act of metal detecting? Since walking doesn't "dig up " the place.

Given the situation, so long as you were not climbing fences or going on to private property, it shouldn't be a big deal. Worse they can do is ask you to leave. You are an insurance risk after all.

Thanks.

Over the summer, I encountered a similar issue in Denver. They were tearing up a home from the 1920s. I went and detected all day on a weekend with no issues. As far as I'm concerned, if law enforcement or the owners come by, just move to the right of way or the sidewalk and say that's where you were detecting.

Over the summer, I encountered a similar issue in Denver. They were tearing up a home from the 1920s. I went and detected all day on a weekend with no issues. As far as I'm concerned, if law enforcement or the owners come by, just move to the right of way or the sidewalk and say that's where you were detecting.

That's assuming that they didn't actually SEE you detecting elsewhere? Then if they did, you wanna lie to law enforcement? Quick way to make 'em mad! :lol:

That's assuming that they didn't actually SEE you detecting elsewhere? Then if they did, you wanna lie to law enforcement? Quick way to make 'em mad! :lol:

Awe c'mon nectar ! You're being the devil's advocate . Tsk Tsk. This all assumes anyone cares to begin with. I bet LEO's have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a detector. :roll:

If we worry long enough and hard enough (of enough "what if's?) that you might as well stay at home hiding under your blankets ! haha

Awe c'mon nectar ! You're being the devil's advocate . Tsk Tsk. This all assumes anyone cares to begin with. I bet LEO's have bigger fish to fry than a geek with a detector. :roll:

If we worry long enough and hard enough (of enough "what if's?) that you might as well stay at home hiding under your blankets ! haha

Just sayin, just because you "say" you weren't detecting "over there" and they saw you detecting "over there" then the act of lying ESCALATES a seemingly non issue... challenge their intelligence by telling them what they did or didn't see, and now you have a bigger problem.... is the point I was trying to make! :lol:

Sure. Then I'll be the first to say: "Yup, I was detecting right here on this path construction. Got a problem with that ?" :laughing:

Don't express any excitement. Just tell the
Your wife lost a ring years back and before its paved you would like to search for it. I wouldn't even mention detecting per say. Go later in the day or early morning. Gl

Yup. My dad lost a LOT of Boy Scout rings when he was a kid. And yes, my wife is fumble fingers with her wedding ring all the time as well.

You can always run a Craigslist "lost" ad, print that out, and have it in your pocket if any nosy Parkers approach.

Back
Top Bottom