Any Vintage Baseball Fans?

rocketmoon2

Just getting around to posting this, no it was not a metal detector find.
Story goes last fall i was visiting my parents and stayed over night at their house. I woke up to my dad letting me know an estate sale down the street had several tools which i should check out. I grabbed $20 and headed on over. Really didnt see much in the way in tools but buried in the garage i saw what at first looked like the sides of an old one room school house style desk. I almost didnt look further, but i do appreciate rusty metal. Looking closer i noticed the lage "C" on the side and thought "could this be a Cincinati Reds stadium seat in Minnesota?". The set was marked for $25 but it being the last day of the sale, everything was half off, so a grand total of $12.50. When i payed the estate sale lady, she told me the family was originally from ohio which really had me excited. I got home and sure enough, its the stantions from a seat from the former Crosley Field. The same field to hold baseball's first night game, and many of he greats. The fact i has the "C" means its a figural aisle end seat, and they appear to be pretty sought after. Deffinitly my favorite estate sale find. Im sure the odds are slim, but did any one have the opportunity to watch a game in Crosley Field before it was torn down?

Attachments

• Crosley field seat.jpg
    Crosley field seat.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 1,219
AWESOME! I have been collecting vintage baseball items for over 40 years and you hit the jackpot. Congratulations!

Vintage baseball?
I was a huge fan of the Tigers growing up as was my whole family, went to many a game in the old, beautiful Tiger stadium.
Wish I had a seat from that great place.

One of the greatest things I have ever seen in my life or probably will ever see is Ken Burns 9 inning masterpiece , "Baseball".
If you are a fan and have never seen it shame on you...this is a bucket list item for any true baseball fanatic.

hey do you wont to sell them for $25.00 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
i got cash money.

ha no thanks lol, I have been talking with an expert about getting some original woods slats, think it will go in my cave when i get to finishing it, or make a great gift for my father.

nice find !! gotta love that sort of stuff .

my baseball "find" is a story . married an ohio gal a while back, and we had visited her grandmother while up in ohio for a short time. we go into grandma's house..i get introduced to her etc...

a few minutes later the wife and grandma are in the kitchen talking, and i walk over to the fireplace mantle to look at some old family photos. In one picture i see the deceased grandfather with another guy that looked familiar. i look closer...and its Jimmy Leland!!! a friend of the family lol.

tuns out jim leland was my wife's grandpa's batboy wayyyyyyyyyy back in the day. seems grandpa was a semi pro ball player in his prime. Jim leland has continued to keep in touch with grandma, calling her several times a year, and visiting when he's close enough to town there.

my wife was impressed that i recognized jimmy. she didnt know i was a baseball fanatic for years, and remember leland managing the pirates a long time ago.

Thats a great story hook, one of the best managers in history imho

nice find !! gotta love that sort of stuff .

my baseball "find" is a story . married an ohio gal a while back, and we had visited her grandmother while up in ohio for a short time. we go into grandma's house..i get introduced to her etc...

a few minutes later the wife and grandma are in the kitchen talking, and i walk over to the fireplace mantle to look at some old family photos. In one picture i see the deceased grandfather with another guy that looked familiar. i look closer...and its Jimmy Leland!!! a friend of the family lol.

tuns out jim leland was my wife's grandpa's batboy wayyyyyyyyyy back in the day. seems grandpa was a semi pro ball player in his prime. Jim leland has continued to keep in touch with grandma, calling her several times a year, and visiting when he's close enough to town there.

my wife was impressed that i recognized jimmy. she didnt know i was a baseball fanatic for years, and remember leland managing the pirates a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom