Are there 1965 silvers (similar to steel 1944 pennies)?

HipsterKitty

I was just thinking about how there are some copper 1943 pennies and also a few steel 1944s, because there were leftover blanks both times they switched over. Did the same thing happen for dimes and quarters between '64 and '65? I find it hard to believe there's not at least ONE silver coin out there marked 1965.

Nope, the only silver in 1965 was the 40% silver half dollar. Also, there are no 1944 steel pennies, but there are a few 1943 Bronze pennies. One was sold recently and brought a 7 figure price.

Nope, the only silver in 1965 was the 40% silver half dollar. Also, there are no 1944 steel pennies, but there are a few 1943 Bronze pennies. One was sold recently and brought a 7 figure price.

No, steel 1944s do exist. They're more common than bronze 1943s, though still worth thousands of dollars.
1944_d_steel_cent-389x388.jpg

And do you have any proof that there were absolutely zero silver blanks that got stamped 1965? Unless every single mint made a point to run through every single silver blank they had before changing the dates and adding new blanks, it has to have happened at least once.

I'd think so too.... We are all human. Oops... I put the wrong metal into the machine. Eh. It'll be fine!

Sent from Tapatalk while mobile.

I read there are 1966 silvers that were proofs. There are 1944 steel pennies that were accidentally minted and are worth $100,000.

No, steel 1944s do exist. They're more common than bronze 1943s, though still worth thousands of dollars.

And do you have any proof that there were absolutely zero silver blanks that got stamped 1965? Unless every single mint made a point to run through every single silver blank they had before changing the dates and adding new blanks, it has to have happened at least once.

I understand there actually were some, but they were all stamped 1964.

I did check into this and see that there have been two authenticated 1944 steel pennies, but many counterfeits.

there is infact a few 1965 silver quarters out there but not many im trying to find the artical on it but there was a bunch made by mistake and a few made it out to cerculation there is also proofs for many diffrent years in silver that people have broken out of the holders an spent by kids just rare to find mding

Anytime that you work with parts, in an assemble section, a few parts will be left in areas, and find there way back into production. So, with this in mind, anything can happen. Where I worked, we had old parts that we would purged from the lines, and send the parts back, then later our plant would get them back, and if we did not know the difference, the part was installed on the units. So, the old planchets can pop back up form any spots that are in the machinery, and back into production. So, yes there are odd balls from every year when a big change is made.

Yes, mistakes do happen but still I have never heard of a deliberately or accidentally struck silver US coin dated 1965. As I mentioned earlier though, I do recall hearing there were silver coins dated 1964 struck in 1965 and 1966. Even this is something I’ve just heard and do not know to be a fact.

Back
Top Bottom