Hello from a Newbie...

StubbedToe

I have been lurking around for a couple months trying to read as much as possible and soak it all in. I have been interested for years and have never pulled the trigger on a detector. But, this year my 7 and 8 year old boys decided that they wanted to be treasure hunters. So, Santa brought them a Bounty Hunter Sharp Shooter II combo for Christmas. Neat little starter set from Academy that was on sale for $199 down from $299. This also meant a cheaper way to get started for me as I can use theirs before potentially investing more on a machine for myself.

Their set came with most of the needed equipment to get started. One of the items that was included was a Bounty Hunter pin pointer. Which leads to my first question. The pin pointer does not make a sound until it is physically in contact with the item. It literally has to touching and fairly clear of dirt. Is that normal? Or just a cheap pin pointer? In my mind, I thought that it would announce as it was close and get louder.

They found a dime and a zinc penny so far. (Shhh... I buried them out there last week).

Thanks in advance,
And hello from SE-ish Louisiana.

Welcome and Merry Christmas from South Carolina !!!!! :present: :snowman3:

I would think the pinpointer should make a sound without having to touch the item, maybe the more experienced detectorists on the forum can offer advice as to whether that model has an adjustment or if it is simply defective and the company needs to offer a replacement. (make sure the pinpointer has a fresh battery)

That was neat your kids found a dime and penny so far, and it doesn't matter that you put them there, they still found them nonetheless !

Welcome, and Merry Christmas, from Forney, Texas. That's great that you're getting your boys, and yourself, involved in the hobby. At their age it may be tough to keep them focused, but by making sure they find something good will definitely help. Great dad...

Welcome! Don't know anything about the bounty hunter pinpointer, but I've been using a Harbor Freight centech pinpointer since I started MD'ing which has been since the end of Sept. this year. From what I've read it's about the lamest pinpointer you can buy, but it will signal a penny at about 1/2-3/4" from the tip. Just got a White's TRX pinpointer for Christmas and at power level 3 out of 4 it will pick up a penny at 2-1/2".

Thanks for the responses. It is a scavenged battery because Santa forgot to bring new batteries for all the new toys. I will replace, retry, and then just use it as an excuse to buy a Garrett AT Pro Pointer.

Thanks for the responses. It is a scavenged battery because Santa forgot to bring new batteries for all the new toys. I will replace, retry, and then just use it as an excuse to buy a Garrett AT Pro Pointer.

:laughing: good idea !!!!

.....still make sure if that pinpointer is defective or not by trying a new battery so it can be replaced by the company if it is, that way both you and your kids will have one to use after getting a Garrett Pro Pointer :yes:

Back
Top Bottom