Struggles with Tesoro Silver uMax

Chaznsc

Hello,
Been a long time since my last post. I've meant to follow up but too much life in the way. I am not very satisfied with my Tesoro. It doesn't seem to be very good at the beach (forget damp sand) and in other places it just seems weak and difficult to pin down a dig spot. It could be a problem with the human holding it.

Is it possible the coil is bad? Should I look into a nicer unit? Any thoughts appreciated.

Hello,
Been a long time since my last post. I've meant to follow up but too much life in the way. I am not very satisfied with my Tesoro. It doesn't seem to be very good at the beach (forget damp sand) and in other places it just seems weak and difficult to pin down a dig spot. It could be a problem with the human holding it.

Is it possible the coil is bad? Should I look into a nicer unit? Any thoughts appreciated.

Correct. That machine is not suited for wet mineralized salt. It excels in other arenas (iron ridden ghost-townsy land sites), just not wet salt beach.

What state and what beaches are you working ? As for the best, it depends on your budget, and how hardcore you want to be. Ie.: the learning curve you'll tolerate, etc.... I personally love the Explorers for the beach. The excalibur is similar in ability and depth, but has a different long "booonggg" to the signals that some don't like (yet others love). The explorer has a long learning curve (IMHO). And so too does the Excal (depending on the machine you're graduating up from).

An easy machine that's great on wet salt, is the Cz6. Very easy to learn, and scores of them available on the used market. Very deep, etc... But might be prone to give false positives on deep bent nails. Yet far and away better at rejecting nails when compared to pulse.

So it all just depends on your budget, patience, etc.... Where are you located ?

Hi Tom
THANK you for responding. My concerns regarding the beach are rolled into my overall concerns. Im not normally on the coast. I am near augusta ga. I never have felt the tesoro can look deep enough and when i do get a hit its as if im chasing a moving target.

My guess is that your sensitivity setting is too high. It controls the gain as well from the sensitivity setting.

If your coil was cracked, it will act up when it gets wet. You can seal them back up with epoxy if it has cracked on you.

Back
Top Bottom