Does a Police officer's approval count as permission?

Just go by your local by laws and ordinances. If it's public space and there's nothing stating you can't detect there hit it up!

If , as you say, all sorts of city employee people, and passing cop have no problem or issue with your detecting , then ....... what more can you ask for ? Red carpets to be rolled out ? :wow:

To ask "does this constitute permission?" is just a semantics game/issue. No matter if you call it tacit approval, permission, or just "no one cares", then no matter how you slice it, I'd continue.

In fact, why does metal detecting "need permission" anyhow ? No more so than you'd think you "need permission" to whistle dixie, or whatever. In-the-absence of a prohibition, then no permission is needed.

Of course, in some places, you'd be charged with a "hate crime"....:laughing:

If , as you say, all sorts of city employee people, and passing cop have no problem or issue with your detecting , then ....... what more can you ask for ? Red carpets to be rolled out ? :wow:

To ask "does this constitute permission?" is just a semantics game/issue. No matter if you call it tacit approval, permission, or just "no one cares", then no matter how you slice it, I'd continue.

In fact, why does metal detecting "need permission" anyhow ? No more so than you'd think you "need permission" to whistle dixie, or whatever. In-the-absence of a prohibition, then no permission is needed.

+1

Sounds like approval to me, but it doesn't count as permission. But like others have said permission isn't needed to hunt most public places.

When I first started I called the guy who is in charge of maintaining the parks to ask. His response was that there was no law prohibiting it and he had no problem with me going out there and swinging my metal detector around. He told me that keeping that in mind, there was a law against vandalizing park property. He said that it wasn't up to him or me, or anyone else to determine what constituted vandalizing, that it was determined by the courts. So I should perhaps keep that in mind while pursuing my hobby. I have been careful not to push my luck. I make very small holes. I have made friends with one guy who is out there working all the time. I talked about that in another thread. I'm thinking he actually has all the power, as he is probably the one that is going to report someone vandalizing park property if he thinks that is the case. I've made sure that he is aware that I fill those small holes back up, and leave it as I found it. Just in case I need a character witness.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom