Comparison Fisher F75 SE vs AKA Signum

walt12524

My experience with the AKA Signum and the Fisher F75 SE

First off let me start by saying I have 3 years experience on the Fisher F 75 and probably 30 or so hours on the AKA Signum

I purchased the AKA Signum with the 9.5x12.5, 3 frequency coil 3kh, 7 kh, and 14kh. !Also a sniper 6 in 14khz coil. The Fisher F75 comes with the stock coil and sniper coil.

My testing ground is a littered park that has had people on it and around it since before the American revolution. Just a 1/2 mile a way George Washington stayed at home as did some of his Generals. !4 or 5 miles away was one ! largest military supply depot during the revolutionary war. Since its next to the creek its been popular forever. There is a tremendous amount of flip tops and beaver tails and really old !rusty bottle caps that sound so good.

My experience with the Fisher F75 is that it will hit the bottle caps with a high tone and a fairly stable vdi. Which of course I have to dig since it sounds like silver, and that is in all !settings, De, bC, and Boost, and running stable with the sensitivity in the low 40s.to the high 80s, with 0 disc to 65. !And for whatever reason emi is terrible at the higher disc. The !Fisher F75 is very light weight and quick and I can hunt all day with it and not get tired.

The AKA Signum due to the 3 frequency coil is !a little heavier and after several hours I start switching hands for relief, however in hindsight I should have gotten just the 14khz coil since that is the one I use most. As for the bottle caps the only time I dig them up with the AKA Signum is to confirm that is what the signal is, due to the "S algorithm ". Activate that button and the hodograph will swing to the negative side of the screen before going to the right side, looks kind of like a check mark. A coin stays on the positive side of the hodograph.

Between the two I prefer the AKA Signum because it's deep and I no longer dig those rusty bottle caps that sound so good. The AKA Signum hit a silver dime at 14 inches and on all pre programmed settings. Not many detectors can do that.

lol

Your not kidding, Its hard to beat the F75se for relic hunting, it is a killer single frequency machine, the other, I would avoid, happy hunting Earl

One thing about those bottle caps.
When using the F75, try rimming the target with the edge of the coil.
I determine the position in the ground and then make a few quick passes with the front rim of the coil.
If your disc is below 10, I usually hunt at about 0-4, 95% of them will drop down from those high numbers and high tone usually into iron.
I also hear that iron grunt.
I see the 11 number a lot when I do this.
If this happens I know it is a bottle cap.
Doesn't work 100% of the time but it does on most of them.

Target seperation

Walt , how do the two compare at target separation in dense target areas?
I never had an f75. Yes, the Signum is deep!. Im not getting quite the depth you are, in my nasty soil.

Walt , how do the two compare at target separation in dense target areas?
I never had an f75. Yes, the Signum is deep!. Im not getting quite the depth you are, in my nasty soil.

Ol Possum I think they are pretty close in ability, though I havent tested them head to head. And I like using the wobble technique and not the sweep through. Doing the wobble technique locks onto the weak signal so it repeats.

What frequency do you use? and do you have any issues with GB? I have a challenging time performing a good GB. What I do is go to PP and find a metal free spot, which at times is very difficult to do. Then Lower the gain to 3 and then do the automatic GB, then manual GB if needed, and then bring the gain back up to the original setting.

Signum

I use the 7khz freq. My 10" and 6" are both 7. My 13 coil is 3,7, and 14.
Ground balancing properly is a must. In a park, I usually go to a wide open area where there tends to be less targets, and gb there. I had a t2 last year, but sold it before the Sig purchase. The Sig is way deeper than the t2. I like the Signum alot so far.

Your not kidding, Its hard to beat the F75se for relic hunting, it is a killer single frequency machine, the other, I would avoid, happy hunting Earl

Why avoid something that at least appears to keep up with the F75 :shock:

What it looks like to me is that companies outside of the USA appear to be setting the standards when it comes to depth - Sure depth isnt everything but I would have thought its important in the field of relic hunting

Had a local guy snub a Turkish unit we got in for testing - After they had seen for themselves this unit out performing a Safari, Musketeer & Sovereign on depth in a coin garden, he left with a totally different view on the whats what of metal detecting .......

Still ............ it has to be said, as soon as my wife turns her back I'm gunna get me a F75:lol:

I use the 7khz freq. My 10" and 6" are both 7. My 13 coil is 3,7, and 14.
Ground balancing properly is a must. In a park, I usually go to a wide open area where there tends to be less targets, and gb there. I had a t2 last year, but sold it before the Sig purchase. The Sig is way deeper than the t2. I like the Signum alot so far.

Do you find a difference between the 7khz and 14? so far I find the 14khz suits me but Im curious about when to use the other frequencies, Im assuming it depends on mineralization of the soil? I guess I should do a test of the frequency using a silver dime at 14 inches.

If you find the GB on the Sorex is giving fits especially when it is trying to do an Auto GB then just do it manual GB.

I did all the videos on the Sorex and Signum so I know these machines inside and out....I am doing the video and manual on the Berkut at the moment.

I usually just did a manual GB on the Sorex....it was quicker.....either bobbing the coil up and down and listen for NO audio change when raising and lowering the coil. Or.....if the ground is clean around the coil then sweep the coil back and forth and adjust the GB until the ground scan line is level.

Note that if you san the coil left and right and the line is HIGHer on the right side of the screen your GB is TOO negative and so add a little + to bring it level. However if the ground line is lower on the right side your GB is TOO positive so add a little - to get it level.

As for coils and frequency. If your ground is or has a lot of minerals then the 14 KHZ coil may have a bit more noise from the ground then the 3 KHZ or 7 KHZ.

I use the 9x12 and 10" round coils in 7KHZ as they are the best "average coils' for most uses....although nothing wrong with getting either one in a 14KHZ either......but my ground has fluky minerals so I don't run the large coils at higher frequencies.

I do run my 6x10 coil at 14 KHZ especially for the small thin buttons and coins in trash.

If you want to see what the Berkut 5 looks like here are my vids on it. I have been able to get a few times with it so far. However I have used the predecessor to it, the Condor, for a year and half so I know it very well.

A good detector in that $650.00 - $700.00 range with as much depth as the Sorex. Has different audio setup and different discrimination editing abilities than the other two....not saying better just different as shown in the videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-nNHEr3cLc

As for comparing the Sorex and Signum to the F75. I have a few videos on this as well. I used the F75 and T2 since the day they came out...actually had one of the first T2's years back when Mr. Bill got the first batch. Loved them albeit the EMI was maddening. But I used them exclusively until the Sorex and Signum. Now with the Sorex and Signum I get the depth of the F75 and more sometimes but without the annoying EMI. Some places I could just not use the F75 or T2 enjoyably due to the noise.

Now...in mild ground I would expect to see better depth on the Signum then the F75 has coil for coil...should get an inch at least on small coin sized targets and 2" on larger ones.
However if your ground has moderate minerals like mine then you may not see much of an increase in depth over the F75...I would say no more than an inch on the Signum in most cases...and most time probably 1/2".

Sycotoad

Ya the UK sponsor has some interesting machines, Turkish unit what make ? nothing I have seen keeps up with the F75se, you mention Safari -Mid Grade, musketeer -Archive, and Sovereign :roll: hard to believe Bro, happy hunting, Earl

Ya the UK sponsor has some interesting machines, Turkish unit what make ? nothing I have seen keeps up with the F75se, you mention Safari -Mid Grade, musketeer -Archive, and Sovereign :roll: hard to believe Bro, happy hunting, Earl

Hi Surf Master - The MAKRO CF77Pro I believe is from Turkey
http://www.makrodetector.com/

As I said sir I have conducted brief tests only as I witnessed the unboxing & had a few hours to test - I have only been detecting for about 2 & a half years, so have much still to learn, however I have had the pleasure of owning and testing over 25 machines in that time and of course I am NOT an expert in any particular one - Which currently is my loss as I would love to have just one machine that I had put that time into, but I just loved the metal detectors themselves & wanted to gain as much knowledge as I could first hand regarding these pieces of equipment - Something not easy to do based in NZ where metal detecting stores are harder to find than a two headed silver dollar

The reason for my little blurb there was to say this regarding the MAKRO CF77.
It is by far the best quality built machine I have had the pleasure of using

In response -

Safari "(mid grade)" I was under the impression the Safari goes as deep as the Etrac - Is the Etrac mid grade as well?

Musketeer "(Archieve)" !!!? lol Now your gunna tell me Im too old for ???? lol
Come on man, what does age have to do with depth? asides from that we are all gunna end up around the same depth at the end of the day anyway :lol:

Sovereign "(hard to believe)" ok ok you got me .... I am a complete Sov Newb, so I know I was'nt ringing its neck during the coin garden test, however lets not detract from what it is that I am saying regarding these CF77's

They are only pocket change for one of you guys to buy and see for yourself

I shite you not Surf Master, they certainly are worth the look and I am not here trying to put anyone wrong when I post - I would hate more than anything for someone to purchase something from my advice & it not being what I said it was ..... if you catch my drift - almost lost myself there ....

Anyways, thanks for your post & please take a look at them at the website I posted or there are quite a few youtube vids of them - They certainly are a wonderful piece of equipment - Stay Safe & Happy Hunting ;)

I will have one before the years end.Watching the videos of the makro,looks like a top notch unit.

Back
Top Bottom