cen-tech mods????

phatnomad

I am getting a cen-tech pin pointer from harbor freight. If I remove the speaker/beeper and wire in a #273-0107 3VDC Micro Vibrating Motor from radio shack using the speaker wires, will I need a resistor in the red wire? If so what size? Also which switch are most using to replace the junky stock switch? Thanks for the help.
Gary

You don't need one but I'd definitely put one inline. It'll slow down the motor considerably. Depending on what you have running on the line already(speakers, lights, buzzers) will affect what resistor you may want to throw in. I don't remember what I used but it was relatively low I believe, maybe 200 ohm or something. It slowed it down enough that it still vibed and gave a good 'buzz' sound.

I just grabbed the first pager motor I found laying around, wired it up directly. It's going to be pretty close in voltage and current to the beeper anyway. Worked out fine, without a resistor.

Thanks for the help. Which replacement switch did you use? I will be getting the pin-pointer this week-end.

i've done this mode on 3 or 4 of the centec's and i used a 33 ohm resistor for all my mods.
i forget which model number switch i used but i do know they didn't have a nice square botton which fit at my local radio shack so i used a round sealed power button which worked out great. i also tweeked my sensitivity pod, added a drop of loc tight to the probe nut and also put a piece of shrink wrap up the first inch of the probe for protection of the plastic tip.

oh and one more thing.........when removing the screws from the back cover only remove the 4 corners and not the center screw (the center screw holds the probe, thats the one i put the loc tight on the nut to keep from gettin loosened up)

I used one that I scavenged from an old tracfone I had... I didn't need a resistor in series. I also used a switch to make it selectable from the speaker to the vibrating motor

Thanks for the help everyone. I have found a good forum with a lot of helpful people. I will get the pin-pointer this week-end and start the mods soon.
Gary

Back
Top Bottom