• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

1883 I.H. Grade and Value?

frankiefry

Forum Supporter
I did a little mid-morning hunt and low and behold, I found an 1883 I.H. about 6-7 inches down about 6 feet from an old tree. I had to burrow a little under a root to get to the signal. The ground I was digging IS pretty old ground, but I was still suprised when I realized what I had. I've only cleaned it with a little soft soap and a soft bristled toothbrush. Upon looking it up, I see that it's maybe between F and XF for grade. I could use another opinion or 20. LOL I've seen so many toasted I.H.'s on here that this one is such nice shape, I think it's amazing. : ) Thanks for looking and for your grading opinions also.

Attachments

• 100_2165.JPG
    100_2165.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 444
  • 100_2162.JPG
    100_2162.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 439
Wow...great looking cent!

That is one good looking IH cent! Sorry, I'm no expert on grading, but I would be proud to dig one looking as nice as that!

Cheers!

I'd say as far as wear, it's a solid XF. The green petina kills the value on the IH's unfortunately. Considered environment damage. A collector wouldn't touch it. Beautiful coin though! Great condition. One of my favorites to dig. I think they look pretty nice in green ;-)
About $17 in XF without the greenies.

Congrats... The redbook puts it at $11 in a VF-20 condition but like stated above the color will affect that too.

Here's a picture of the 1870 I.H. that I found 4 years ago when I was first starting out MDing with my B.H. Tracker IV. This is a semi-key date and green also from being dug up, but I sold her on ebay for $77. Somebody was happy to add her to their collection. : )

Attachments

• 100_0990.JPG
    100_0990.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 386
It looks good but really hard to establish a grade with a photo. Congrats though, it's a nice find.

Here's a picture of the 1870 I.H. that I found 4 years ago when I was first starting out MDing with my B.H. Tracker IV. This is a semi-key date and green also from being dug up, but I sold her on ebay for $77. Somebody was happy to add her to their collection. : )

wow shocked you only got $70 out of that 1870....I bet if you had picked away the remaing dirt with a toothpick it would have went $120 or more

I'd send you $10 right now for that green sucker!!!:D:yes::D

Nice find....I had to tumble my only IH this year just to get the date (1896).

I agree with G4E, that 1870 was a nice semi key for sure! I think collectors actually like seeing the green on some of these coins. Gives it more of a story and authentic flavor to the coin. You can also tell that it has never been touched by artificial cleaning agents or is a fake. You just know it's been in the ground for over a 100 years with that color on it!

I'd call that 83 XF all day and place it around $25-$30 to the right buyer. It really is in great shape considering it's dug. The LIBERTY on it just shouts collect me! Boy oh boy is that green "pateeny" nice looking on it! Great find for the SWMSS!! :cool:

Thanks for admiring my I.H. This coin is now owned by achaois, here on the forum. He won the auction for it and it goes in the mail tomorrow. : )

Back
Top Bottom