New to forum and hobby!

joshknoxville

Hi, I am Josh. I live in Knoxville, TN. I had a White's Coinmaster ( I think that is what it was called) growing up that I found in my grandparent's attic. I loved playing with it even though I don't think I ever found anything other than a rusty nail or screw.

A few years back, I found a stash of old brass buttons in the attic of the house I had purchased. The house dated back to the 1800's, and I assumed they were probably Civil War buttons. It didn't mean much to me then, and I sold them to a collector for a fraction of what they were worth I am sure. I have always been a history buff, but didn't think to research.

I have been interested in collecting since then, but collecting by buying doesn't really bring any gratification. I decided I'd get another metal detector.

I haven't used it yet, don't really know where to go with it. I purchased a Garrett Ace 250, so I hope it is sufficient.

If any of you have any tips for someone who hasn't done this before that would be great, or a list of specific places I could go in my area would be awesome too. Just from reading I see the general "go to a park" stuff, but not being familiar with East Tennessee where I live now, some specific leads would be awesome. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Hit the parks! its a great place to learn. lots of coins and lots of junk..... and some goodies. Welcome to the addicting world of MDing. HH

Check Out all of the Sub Forums

Josh, Look around on the sub forums on this site, and you will get plenty of ideas of where you can go to find some neat stuff! In your neck of the woods, I would think that there are many older houses and/or former home sites that would be worth a try! Good luck and welcome aboard........... Dave..........

Welcome to the forums from Silverdale, WA State.
We have a lot of members from Tennessee. Go to Search, and type in "Tennessee" and hit return. I think I counted about 5 pages of post that had something to do with Tennessee.

Welcome to the forum from Vancouver, Wa............Might want to dig just about everything at first to learn your detector. Other than that, you'll learn from experience. If you have any questions this good group of people will be more than happy to help. Happy Hunting!!

Hey there joshknoxville. Welcome from Brisbane in Australia. Took me many years to get my detector and I am making the best of it too :D

Tony

Welcome to the forums from the land of ice and snow, Iceland

Led Zepplin made a song aobut it in the 70´s when they stayed here after a concert.

Back
Top Bottom