Recommended small coil for AT Pro?

SoKyHunter

I’m wanting to get a smaller coil for my AT Pro and have been eyeing the Garret 5x8 DD. How does something like the Sharpshooter compare for cutting through trashy sites?

I’m wanting to get a smaller coil for my AT Pro and have been eyeing the Garret 5x8 DD. How does something like the Sharpshooter compare for cutting through trashy sites?

The 5x8 coil is probably my favorite coil, for any machine ever! It hits plenty deep for its size and it's like swinging a feather! I get into some really tight brush and thorns frequently with it, and have some some really nice stuff this way. I would go with the 5x8 IMO. Good luck!

I would go with the Garrett 5x8. It’s hard to get comparisons between it and the Nel Sharpshooter but the couple of people I talked with that had tried both preferred the 5x8 so that’s what I went with also.

ATP is not my primary machine now, but I did use the 5x8 coil and preferred it over stock for the wooded home sites I hunt. Makes the machine light and easy. Pinpointing is a breeze. Loss of depth? probably, but unmasking is tons better than stock.

What do you figure is the best price you're going to find on a 5 by 8 coil? 125?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Harder to find deals on coils. That's where the money is made.

I went with the NEL Snake from Phil at MYERS one of the sponsors here. Man, started pulling deep dimes and more nickels "55" on places I know had been pounded many times before.

Another vote for the Garrett 8X5. Like others have said, it almost never leaves my ATP, it is a great coin hunting coil. You can find them used on ebay for under a hundred bucks. I have always preferred an 8" coil, it was standard for coin hunting in the old days and is still optimal for that task. Most manufacturers just went to 11" coils as standard so they could claim more depth. Since most coins will be found 8" or less if the soil has not been covered by landscaping or silting an 8" coil works fine and has better separation.

The 5x8 coil is by far the best addition I've added to my arsenal. It's extremely light and I haven't notice any difference in the depth of detection from the stock coil on my AT-Pro or AT-Max. I like it so well I bought one for both my AT's.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom