Modern key dates?

Is there such a thing as a "modern" key date coin?

I guess you could look at mintage dates in something like Yeomans coin guide.

For instance the Lincoln bicentennial 2009 coins the 2009, Birth and early Childhood, copper satin finish are now worth $10.00

just a thought. Actually I didn't know that info until you posed the question and I looked up some modern coins. I will keep an eye out. the 2009's if in MS-65 condition (they should be) are either .30 each or $10.00 depending on the finish being satin or not.

according to Yeomans the satin finish is like the 1909 penny composition of 95% copper, 5% tin and zinc.

Maxx, the 2009 95% copper pennies you're referring to were not issued for general circulation. They were in the proof, mint and other special sets the mint markets to collectors.

Never say never, but since they didn't enter the circulating money supply, the odds of finding one with a metal detector are exceedingly slim.

There are a few Australian ones like the 2011 10c (1 million minted) but I've got no clue of any US ones.

I've found one 2011 10c coin. It was on the road and all scratched up :(

Well I've subscribed to Coinage magazine off and on over the decades. Usually there are some advertisers selling US modern error coins, along with the Coinage writers doing articles about them from time to time. Coin World (the weekly, not monthly editions), might have more in-depth articles, but the subscriptions are not cheap.
My experience has been, in the modern era, the state quarters and Lincoln pennies have the most errors, IMHO.
Your best bet might be to visit your local coin shop, or visit a coin show, but they both are a dying breed, usually filled with old cronies, as in this era, new collectors of a younger age are few and far between. But accurate knowledge is knowledge, and I'll take it from wherever I can find it from.

Maxx, the 2009 95% copper pennies you're referring to were not issued for general circulation. They were in the proof, mint and other special sets the mint markets to collectors.

Never say never, but since they didn't enter the circulating money supply, the odds of finding one with a metal detector are exceedingly slim.
The regular composition coins WERE made for circulation. The special satin finish coins were only available in sets. I've found a few of the regular ones with my detector.

Is there such a thing as a "modern" key date coin?
That depends on your idea of what a key date is and how far back you consider modern. Most of the obsolete sets such as Mercury dimes, Walking Liberty Halves, Standing Liberty Quarters etc. etc. have what are referred to as "KEY" dates but IMHO no modern sets have coins that could be considered a key date.

There are plenty of modern error coins. Do the research. Just a few:

Pennies:
1972 double die
1992, 1992D Close "AM"
1982D small date
1989D struck on copper
1983D ""
1990D""

1969S double die obverse

Back
Top Bottom