Revenge of the Maples

vtpaws

I was looking for an old farm cellar hole - and instead came across a sugarbush of long ago tapped maples. Normally, you would take the buckets off the trees after the spring sap run is over. This is what happens after @ 40years if you don’t. It was eerie. There were 30-40 of these. Happy spring from Vermont.
c42fcad230f1f764d059f31d483d5096.jpg
4f402ac6f9bf2b0ebc709c88b8ac4a58.jpg
474422ebeb16e68edc55144687f22b70.jpg

I agree! My husband and I tap 100 plus trees the old school way each year. This year, we didn’t as we had over five feet of snow on the ground and the idea of collecting sap from all those trees and carrying it to the sugar shack was more than we could bare. We have done this before- and needed to carry a ladder to pull buckets off the trees when season was over. What a discovery to find this sugarbush in this state. I wonder why they didn’t collect the buckets?

This is history and is there a way to find out who they belong to?

I love hiking deep miles into the woods thinking I am the only human ever seeing the area then I find what humans left behind.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

maple syrup was and still is a extremely valuable commodity. The fact that these got left in the trees indicates something major happened in that persons life that put a sudden stop to their syrup season(possibly even died or something along those lines). Would love to try and figure out what happened to who ever owned them, as you wouldn't just ignore your syrup equipment like that. Very cool thanks for sharing

That is frickin cool! I do a lot of fencing so I come across trees that have grown around wire from time to time but nothing that cool.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Thanks! A few trees like this would be interesting, but there is a whole grove of maples with the buckets like that! It’s crazy. Best, Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the picture. That was very interesting to see what happens after that long period of time. Must have been amazing to see a whole sugar bush like that.

Wow! That was likely someone's whole operation...abandoned during the sugaring season...never to return. Or maybe it was all just a cover for a moonshine operation? Cool post! You should get some photos showing multiple trees with buckets in one shot if you can. Why? This has internet sensation potential, and millions of people will want to see the bigger "eerie landscape" pictures too!

It’s quite a walk into this spot. I can see why it’s gone unnoticed. I plan on heading back to it when the rain stops and before the spring vegetation fills in. I will post more after that time. Best, Lisa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if you have a local historical society that may have old aerial photos of the place?

maple syrup was and still is a extremely valuable commodity. The fact that these got left in the trees indicates something major happened in that persons life that put a sudden stop to their syrup season(possibly even died or something along those lines). Would love to try and figure out what happened to who ever owned them, as you wouldn't just ignore your syrup equipment like that. Very cool thanks for sharing

I am thinking along that line. Something happened to the person that set out the buckets.

I wonder if you have a local historical society that may have old aerial photos of the place?

Worth doing the research to try and find an answer.

Man that’s is way cool. If any of those maples die, would make a cool furniture piece or something! Unique. That’s pretty cool, thanks for sharing :)

Back
Top Bottom