A "hunted out" city lot gives up some silver coins and a mini-bucketlister!

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
In my hometown there's a small city lot next to an old park that I had been eye-balling for a while now. I talked to a local detectorist about it and he said that it was hunted out. Decided to try my luck anyway and found quite a few keepers that had been missed by others! Also got a neat Civil War relic that had actually been on my bucket list for a while. A Washington Arsenal star base miniball! Turned out to be a really fun hunt!

Here's a few pics along with a video for those who care to watch:

Attachments

• 1898-BARBER-DIME.jpg
    1898-BARBER-DIME.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 422
  • 1942QUARTER.jpg
    1942QUARTER.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 410
  • 1948QUARTER.jpg
    1948QUARTER.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 390
  • 1934MERC.jpg
    1934MERC.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 387
  • miniball.jpg
    miniball.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 390
  • allfnds.jpg
    allfnds.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 430
Very nice! I find that when I'm told something is "hunted out" it means the others have given up on the site--not necessarily that the site is done giving up goodies! I've also noticed I tend to dig "shallow" silver that others don't. I'd hunt that lot :)

Congratulations on the nice silver and other digs. Like the high tones of your machine. Not like my recently purchased mx sport which doesn't sound nearly as good as my humble mx5.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

I got a pretty good feeling your going back to that sight again Dewayne. Congrats on one very fine outing, Silver's, Sterling, Wheat's and Artifacts of history. It does not get any better. Enjoyed the video and am looking forward to your return trip. Trapper

Very nice! I find that when I'm told something is "hunted out" it means the others have given up on the site--not necessarily that the site is done giving up goodies! I've also noticed I tend to dig "shallow" silver that others don't. I'd hunt that lot :)
Thanks! Yep I agree. I was expecting to find more clad there and I could definitely tell it had been hunted before, but I guess they just dug the shallow clad signals. No complaints from me! :)

Congratulations on the nice silver and other digs. Like the high tones of your machine. Not like my recently purchased mx sport which doesn't sound nearly as good as my humble mx5.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk
Thanks~! I love the sounds of the CTX and Etrac.

Methinks he was discouraging you from hitting a spot he hadn't thought to try.
Now that I think about it you're probably right! He did have a funny look on his face when I asked about it. lol

I got a pretty good feeling your going back to that sight again Dewayne. Congrats on one very fine outing, Silver's, Sterling, Wheat's and Artifacts of history. It does not get any better. Enjoyed the video and am looking forward to your return trip. Trapper
Thanks Trapper! Yessir, definitely going to go back and hit that place again. I'm sure there's still plenty more goodies there. :cheers:

You covered your bases on that hunt! Nice scores

Thank you! :cheers:

When someone makes a statement like: It's hunted out....you never know...maybe he thought it was after he cleaned it out 25 years ago! But machines have come a LOOONNGGG way since then.:laughing::laughing:

Don't you dare show him what you got! Otherwise he might buy a new machine and be in competition with you...at least do not, until you feel YOU have cleaned it out!

Then when you show him the goodies you can say, NOW it is cleaned out! :lol::lol::lol::laughing::laughing:

Very nice! I find myself going over grounds that I have hunted before lately with different techniques and eyes toward different areas to poke around in... It has worked for me. Nothing is ever "hunted out" pending on what are targeting. Congrats

When someone makes a statement like: It's hunted out....you never know...maybe he thought it was after he cleaned it out 25 years ago! But machines have come a LOOONNGGG way since then.:laughing::laughing:

Don't you dare show him what you got! Otherwise he might buy a new machine and be in competition with you...at least do not, until you feel YOU have cleaned it out!

Then when you show him the goodies you can say, NOW it is cleaned out! :lol::lol::lol::laughing::laughing:
You know, thats definitely a possibility! I don't know exactly what kind of detector he uses but I've seen him out hunting before. Best I could tell from a quick glance as I was driving by, its an older White's machine. Looked kind of like an XLT. Though good reliable machines, they're not known for their depth. Maybe that would explain the lack of shallow clad there?

Very nice! I find myself going over grounds that I have hunted before lately with different techniques and eyes toward different areas to poke around in... It has worked for me. Nothing is ever "hunted out" pending on what are targeting. Congrats
Thank you! Agree 100% on the never hunted out. Too many variables involved: Angle of approach, ground moisture, EMI on a given day, etc. All effect whether or not a target is heard. Heck I'm still hunting a spot that I've been hunting for 7 years now and still finding stuff.

Congrats on all the great finds! The video was a nice personal touch to add to the hunt. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks JAK! Appreciate it bud! :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom