1770 Church Hunt

diggin4clad

Elite Member
This past winter we were given permission to detect an old church that dates back to the 1700's. The weather was nice today so we decided to give it a try.
Results were not good to say the least. All we dug were junk items....nails, rusty bottle caps, some aluminum scrap and other junk items. Just up the road is an old abandoned house so we hunted it for a while and the results were the same.....junk targets.

Attachments

• IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_0292.jpg
    IMG_0292.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0293.jpg
    IMG_0293.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0294.JPG
    IMG_0294.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 396
I am utterly shocked. An east coast Connecticut post (accompanied by cool pix of super old churches, established 1770, no less) is NOT accompanied by LC pix ??

What's the matter ? Did you not get on the mailing list for the LC pix ? You merely plant it in the lawn, feign a surprise, do an in-situ pix, and photo the LC (or bust or colonial copper) that you "just found". Sheeesk. C'mon. Get with the show ! :sissyfight:

I am utterly shocked. An east coast Connecticut post (accompanied by cool pix of super old churches, established 1770, no less) is NOT accompanied by LC pix ??

What's the matter ? Did you not get on the mailing list for the LC pix ? You merely plant it in the lawn, feign a surprise, do an in-situ pix, and photo the LC (or bust or colonial copper) that you "just found". Sheeesk. C'mon. Get with the show ! :sissyfight:

Tom....don't you know we here on the East Coast don't find our Large Cents in old sites? We only find them in modern schoolyards.:laughing:

Last edited:
Looks like awesome places to hunt. Probably hunted already but you should be able to get

something that was missed. What about the perimeter of the property like meadows or flat

areas that people may have congregated at away from the buildings.

Somebody with a CTX beat ya to it. Picked the cherries and left the pits...

place has been 'cooked" that's why! man busts a gut to get permission, and strikes out! getting to be a giant pain in da ass! .hell's a fire, if he did find any coins, it probably would be because the place was "salted"..golf?..anyone?

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Tom....don't you know we here on the East Coast don't find our Large Cents in old sites? We only find them in modern schoolyards.:laughing:

ain't no lie! popped many of 'em in school yards! brought in with the fill!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Looks like awesome places to hunt. Probably hunted already but you should be able to get

something that was missed. What about the perimeter of the property like meadows or flat

or possibly a "picnic" area away from the church!..possibly in a small stand of trees!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

I am going to blame the USPS for losing the last shipment!!! Sometimes it just happens and we don't get them out in time!:sissyfight:

Your results from these two hunts are very similar to most of my old site hunts also. This is why I coin stab for clads most of the time. Just have to keep trying those older sites. Just finished four weeks of rehab for my Achilles tendon problem. Hope to finally get in some hunts if it ever stops raining !!

Had the same trouble with old sites. Sometimes soil was brought in and it is filled with junk.

Think about how many times that roof may have been stripped too.

Diggin, did you work the outside edges?
Had my best luck off the beaten path.

The pastor told me that others have hunted here before but I wanted to try my luck. I tried all locations on the grounds...same results iron infested and junk targets.

Somebody with a CTX beat ya to it. Picked the cherries and left the pits...
Really? Let me guess...YOU use a CTX ?

place has been 'cooked" that's why! man busts a gut to get permission, and strikes out! getting to be a giant pain in da ass! .hell's a fire, if he did find any coins, it probably would be because the place was "salted"..golf?..anyone?

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Maybe there just wasn't anything there EVER ?

ain't no lie! popped many of 'em in school yards! brought in with the fill!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I've found a good number of Large Cents in schoolyards. many of the schools were built on top of what once was farms.

or possibly a "picnic" area away from the church!..possibly in a small stand of trees!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
Did that !

Your results from these two hunts are very similar to most of my old site hunts also. This is why I coin stab for clads most of the time. Just have to keep trying those older sites. Just finished four weeks of rehab for my Achilles tendon problem. Hope to finally get in some hunts if it ever stops raining !!
I'm basically a clad stabber too but this was worth a try.

Bummer, looks like it would be a great spot.....
Looks can be deceiving I guess:D

Had the same trouble with old sites. Sometimes soil was brought in and it is filled with junk.

Think about how many times that roof may have been stripped too.

Diggin, did you work the outside edges?
Had my best luck off the beaten path.
I worked all around the place.....same junk everywhere.

The pastor told me that others have hunted here before but I wanted to try my luck. I tried all locations on the grounds...same results iron infested and junk targets.

Really? A CTX? Should I run out and get one?

That was a joke...[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? A CTX? Should I run out and get one?

That was a joke...[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then I guess I took it the wrong way...….sorry

Then I guess I took it the wrong way...….sorry

it's possible the church was devoid of 'good" hits.one has to keep in mind, the old yankees were very mindful of losing anything!..anything at all! most of 'em were
"dirt balls" poor..period,as it was all farming back then, and if they lost a coin or two, it was usually in the farm fields, while ripping their guts out behind an "ass"
i have hunted churches, and it's been MY experience that "most" are really, really, "cooked" because guys wacked 'em many years ago, and "never" asked permission, just drove by and hunted them!

(h.h.!)
j.t.

it's possible the church was devoid of 'good" hits.one has to keep in mind, the old yankees were very mindful of losing anything!..anything at all! most of 'em were
"dirt balls" poor..period,as it was all farming back then, and if they lost a coin or two, it was usually in the farm fields, while ripping their guts out behind an "ass"
i have hunted churches, and it's been MY experience that "most" are really, really, "cooked" because guys wacked 'em many years ago, and "never" asked permission, just drove by and hunted them!

(h.h.!)
j.t.
I agree with your assessment.

Time to hit it with the Equinox!:yes:
If that place is "hit" with an Equinox, it won't be me doing the "hitting":laughing:

Time to hit it with the Equinox!:yes:

i'm beginning to become a believer!.they ain't exactly giving them away,
BUT maybe it opens up sites again! been following the "nox" on forums and video! apparently the "real deal! we are all looking' for an edge! i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Back
Top Bottom