Floating Sifter...Yay or Nay? UPDATE Made Sifter

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
For a few years I have been intrigued at the thought of making a floating sifter. I have seen various designs and know, (I think), how I will make mine. I have read the comments; "an extra thing to carry", "gets in the way", in addition to some positive ones as well. When I detect, my style is to work as quickly and efficiently as I can. Does a floating sifter add to recovery time savings? Or is it offset by the time to possibly untangle the towing rope, getting it in position, etc.? If there is even the slightest wave action, is it still useful? If I haven't noticed a SouthFla hunter with one so is it just for lakes and rocky/muddy bottoms? Who's a regular user out there? Help convert me... ;)

UPDATE (4-2-14): After my last 2 water hunts have had either rocks or crappy, mucky bottom with rocks to contend with I finally decided to make it. I made it symmetrically double-sided so that I can just flip it over and continue rocking. I used things I had lying around so cost was $0.00. Tomorrow it goes for test spin! :yes:

Attachments

• Floating Sifter.jpg
    Floating Sifter.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 2,148
Last edited:
Frank and Cupajo use them all the time when hunting in the water... I have one but am too lazy to bring it to the beach with me so I have to carry a scoop full of mud to shore to search through it :lol: Just make sure its all plastic as well.. another reason I don't bring mine is the detector picks up the metal screening.. and yes it can save time and energy...

Frank and Cupajo use them all the time when hunting in the water... I have one but am too lazy to bring it to the beach with me so I have to carry a scoop full of mud to shore to search through it :lol: Just make sure its all plastic as well.. another reason I don't bring mine is the detector picks up the metal screening.. and yes it can save time and energy...

Maybe try some non metallic gutter guard mesh?

They are great for lake beaches where the waves are tame. They can work at the ocean as long as things are smooth but if there are any "real" waves you have a real chance of dumping it over. You have to keep it tethered to you or it will float away.

I use metal screen in mine, because I don't try to detect it. once the target is out of the hole, I'm done digging.

I have thought about it too but I have come to the conclusion another step in the process isn't going to save me any time. My scoop already has holes and mesh in it.

Also I circle targets when hunting big open areas so I would only be tying myself up.

Then there is the fact that if my wife saw me towing something around that floats she would decide that I should tow her around too, probably on a massive floating lounge chair.

Idea scrapped faster than a pouch full of canslaw.

The secret is go as lite as possible so it does not become a burden, bread tray, pool noodles, tie wraps and some plastic mesh. Mine is no problem because I loop the extender rope around my shoulder and it hangs on my side for some of my long walks to the beach's.

If you can dig a scoop, shake it and see the bottom with one layer of shells or rocks you don't need a sifter.

If you have to hunt for stuff in the scoop and waste time looking, you need a sifter.

Ocean ..no
bay, lakes, calmer waters ..yes
ruff bay..yes

get the plastic mesh at McMaster Carr.. .26 x .26

They are great for lake beaches where the waves are tame. They can work at the ocean as long as things are smooth but if there are any "real" waves you have a real chance of dumping it over. You have to keep it tethered to you or it will float away.

I use metal screen in mine, because I don't try to detect it. once the target is out of the hole, I'm done digging.

Frank (fsa46) and Cupajo have them set up the proper way... they both have them tethered to their belts but also use weights to keep them from them so they are always behind them and not an issue when digging...

When one uses a pulse machine the metal mesh is picked up even if the floating sifter is 3 feet away... its a pita using a metal meshed sifter...

I have thought about it too but I have come to the conclusion another step in the process isn't going to save me any time. My scoop already has holes and mesh in it.

Also I circle targets when hunting big open areas so I would only be tying myself up.

Then there is the fact that if my wife saw me towing something around that floats she would decide that I should tow her around too, probably on a massive floating lounge chair.

Idea scrapped faster than a pouch full of canslaw.

Oh the visual that brings to mind is fantastic! Please do it just once and video it for your forum friends.:yes: You can then have the sifter float right next to her and she can do the recovery work. I anxiously await the video.:lol:

Here is one that I made...

Nice sifter, I've plan on doing some water hunting this summer so I may need to build one myself. Thanks for sharing

Are you doing this for fossiling? If so, make sure you put a lot of flotation on your sieve because the gravel and mud weighs it down pretty quickly.

I gave up using my floating sifter last Fall and switched to a Bank's Board and a Garrett gold sifter. The black netting comes off of the board and the top has a scupper plug in the middle. I dump the scoop there and go through it with the sifter if necessary. The float is actually made for spear fishing, but I use it to store my scoop, cell phone, water, sunscreen, large finds and anything else I may come across. It also works great for temporarily holding my detector if I happen upon a really stubborn target. It has built it straps so you can carry it like a backpack with all your gear across the beach.

Im going to be making one to use myself but more because at this point i cant afford to spend money on a decent scoop atleast until i get some finds to help pay for it. Thinking of going the non metalic route , anyone know of a good non metalic mesh material ?

I dont yet know how realistic its gonna be , but without a good scoop for a while im thinking i may be able to get by with a shovel and sifter as long as im not in " surf" or fast moving water. I wouldnt try it at a beach but shallow ponds or creeks might be doable.

Im going to be making one to use myself but more because at this point i cant afford to spend money on a decent scoop atleast until i get some finds to help pay for it. Thinking of going the non metalic route , anyone know of a good non metalic mesh material ?

I dont yet know how realistic its gonna be , but without a good scoop for a while im thinking i may be able to get by with a shovel and sifter as long as im not in " surf" or fast moving water. I wouldnt try it at a beach but shallow ponds or creeks might be doable.

Shovels weren't made to be used under water. You will lose 90% of every scoop before you can get it above the surface unless you are shoveling clay. Underwater, dirt and sand flow like water.

Shovels weren't made to be used under water. You will lose 90% of every scoop before you can get it above the surface unless you are shoveling clay. Underwater, dirt and sand flow like water.

+1 shovels are terrible in the water.

Been thinking about this for awhile. Can't wrap my head around it yet, as someone said, one more thing to lug around. It sure would speed things up for me in high target areas though. I think it was Chicago Ron who had a good video on building one. May try one this summer on the big lake here to see how it goes.....:grin:

Yeah i kinda figured that , thats one of the reasons a scoop is needed but necessity is the mother of invention. I just spent 500 on a detector , half of it on credit so still paying for it , so a scoop is not an option yet unless i pay for it with finds and dont take it out of the family budget ( the boss lady has spoken. :lol: ). Soooooo......looks like im doin this the hard way at first. I do have plenty of experience with a shovel in water though from all the gold prospecting i have done so even though its the hard way its doable in a crunch.

Back
Top Bottom