Needs tips on surf hunting

woody

Ive been gold prospecting since 1980 and am very active in the hobby.
I have also been a bit of a coin shooter as well over the years but I am busting to do some serious beach work. I have a Minelab Sovereign and have had some very good finds lately in the dry sand.

I know a lot about building detectors, coils and such but I have no idea about detecting in the water. Where I live is on a massive bay and every summer a couple of Million people crowd onto the beaches.

My thinking is that there must be a ton of lost trinkets sitting on the bottom.

Now how do I go about this? Do I work where the waves break or do I have to go out deeper like say at the 4ft deep water? Yes I am flying blind.

If anyone has some info or can point me to a good website I would be most grateful.

Was thinking between the Minelab Excalibur or Whites Surf detector?
Any tips would be good.

Woody.

Either will find the goodies. The Excal is basically the Soveriegn with less controls etc. The only advantage is the Excal is waterproof. The Surf PI will do the job also and is better in the wet sand on slat water beaches. If you need any more help please let me know. :yes:

There probably is a lot of trinkets sitting on the bottom... but also alot of sand.

Since the beach is ever changing it's hard to predict what you will find.

Many people jump into water hunting, without a clue as to go about it, and that is dangerous.

Once you get your detector, (either one will do) then practice in the wet sand, till you are comfortable getting into shallow water. And when I say shallow I mean shallow.

You have to practice in the shallows, because once you get in deeper, it's like having a blindfold on. You have to know what you are doing.

Back
Top Bottom