Merc, toy cars, and chiggers

longbow62

Forum Supporter
I have been eyeballing an area that once had at least 10 houses on it. All have been torn down over the last 10-15 years. It was mowed last week so I decided to try the area. The area is mowed with a bush hog so not like the grass is mowed real close to the ground like a lawn. Back in the spring I pulled a Rosie from one of the last tear downs there, but the main section was to grown up to bad to look at that time.
So far I have been concentrating on this one lot. I have hunted it twice, but the photo is just the stuff from yesterday evening.Both hunts were only a couple of hours each. The first hunt produced a bunch of Memorials, a few Wheats, and a couple of clad dimes. I did find a top to a purfume bottle with the name California Purfume Company which it turns out was started in the late 1800's and ended in 1939. I was determined to find a silver coin so despite the heat I went back after work yesterday. I have been finding toy cars lately and yesterday I found the damaged one first ringing up like a dime, then later the flat bed to haul it on. The Merc was only about three inches deep in what would have been the small front yard of the house. Looking around these house tear downs is tough. So much junk I don't dig many iffy beeps. If I dug iffy beeps I would be digging way to much. The humidity was horrible. My pants legs and light t-shirt were soaked. I did not think about chiggers being the area is in town. That was a mistake cause I got a pretty good dose of them mainly on my ankles.

Attachments

• toy cars.jpg
    toy cars.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 326
Nice hunt - congrats for the perseverance and grabbing that Merc! The cars are cool too - I’m pretty sure I had a flatbed just like that one in my collection as a kid!

Congratulations on sticking with it. Good thing there weren't ticks.:yes: At least you got a few oldies and the Merc. looks real nice. There has to be more for you to find. Good luck !!!

Thanks guys I will probably go back there this evening or maybe to some curb strips I have been looking to hit. If I go back to that spot definitely srpaying down boots and pants with bug spray. Heat advisory today. Real feel 104-108!

Sweet merc - always a good day when you bag one of those! They're one of my favorite coins, and it's been WAY too long since I found one.

Every Spring I spray the clothes I wear for detecting (including my hat and boots) with Permethrin to repel ticks and mosquitoes. I think it helps a lot.

Congrats on a nice hunt.

good hunt, I love finding mercs,I am sure I had that same truck back when I was a kid.

found vw

I dug up this vw police car in my own yard. The red dome is missing and it has been squished a little but the suspension still works on it. The wheels are spring loaded. It says "Husky" on the bottom and also made in Great Britain.

Attachments

• 0702181121-1.jpg
    0702181121-1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 62
Back
Top Bottom