coil choices for excal change

zeemang

Forum Supporter
Well, it's time to change my coil on my excal ii, it finally is making the classic bad coil noises after almost ten years of use.
What do you guys think is good for hunting IN the salt water, try to get another original 10 inch coil, or a Nel coil or a cors coil? I have a 13 ultimate, but I do not want to put it on my excal, gets too funky when submerged.
I know a few of you run replaced coils on your excals, just trying to make the right decision...
I will be doing the operation myself...
Thanks!

Z

I would see what OBN recomends, as he has run so many different coils on his Excals over the years, good luck with the coil you choose, Earl

I run ctx connectors on my excal for easy change coils. Waterproof and simply lovely. 15" for the dry to wet sand and swap to the 10" for the deeper stuff.

Gotta tell you Z, I'm running the 10x12" SEF on mine and I see no reason to ever swap to the original 10".

Felix, IN the salt water or up in the wet sand?

The SEF's worked fine but there was a wiring chart put out long ago, 2010 and it was wrong..it could not be used in the saltwater if wired wrong.

Did you ask ML about warranty,,,,,,,:laughing:Z, I think you win the prize for running your machine the longest,,,,,dunno,,,,,,I know how all the problems have been discussed over the years you dodged most of them,,,,,,Joe is the guide on this,,,,,but I say, have the connector and find yourself a good BBS coil and one of the new ones,,,,they both have their advantages,,,,,have to say the BBS will pick up the small stuff including diamond rings turned upside down and the new ones will pull them bands real deep,,,,,GL HH

Yeah, warranty work :lol::lol::lol: I got away with doing light maintenance on my machine for longer than i would expect it to last, changed headphones and hardwired in to the pod, cracked open the pod and changed battery, fixed corroded battery connections various times inside the ikelite connector itself.
Salt water, and a ridiculous uv index which some days hit 11, took it's toll on the coil wires, i had repaired numerous spots where the outer cover had cracked, but it's finally time to do the swap.
I will try the coil swap, thinking an 8 inch tornado coil, and hopefully that will get the old girl singing a smooth threshold again.

Felix, IN the salt water or up in the wet sand?

Both. I don't do much wet sand.

The SEF's worked fine but there was a wiring chart put out long ago, 2010 and it was wrong..it could not be used in the saltwater if wired wrong.

I had read that and I gave the info to my buddy who did the work on the connectors. He had his own chart from when he had done his own Sovereign coils so I was good. He's really handy with electronics.

Hi Zee.
I would advise using for sea the original Minelab 10 inch (bbs/tornado) coil
or Platypus Coiltek 8.5x11.5 inch (imho) :yes:

you can install sealed ip68 connectors and compare or change the coils www.ebay.com/itm/252054708317

ps:8 inch tornado coil is better for fresh water & small ponds, and small gold (imho)

Z..... remember the 8" is really 7 1/4. To small IMO except for trash work. Take a good look at those NELs...... buddy didnt care for the Coiteck. He had 2 or 3 befor he got one that worked. Ralph at Sun Ray makes a good 12" too. I used the SEF on the exploer .....great coil but near the water..... things started getting equal with thw 10".

Z..... remember the 8" is really 7 1/4. To small IMO except for trash work. Take a good look at those NELs...... buddy didnt care for the Coiteck. He had 2 or 3 befor he got one that worked. Ralph at Sun Ray makes a good 12" too. I used the SEF on the exploer .....great coil but near the water..... things started getting equal with thw 10".
I have said earlier that the most valuable thing in a nonresonant (broadband / multi-frequency) reel for the beach is work with short responses (fast-down signals such as gold and nickel, tin bronze), work with long responses (copper, silver) is not a problem for any coils :D
the coil must be made with a specific wire and calculations,
and have a certain quality factor of the electrical coil.
Coiltec and the old Minelab have done it better :yes:

Thanks all for your input, I ended up buying a tornado 8 inch coil, one of the last ones available on amazon, should be here for me to do the swap in about two weeks...
I remember people who preferred the 8 over the 10, and my spots are VERY trashy so hopefully it will help with that too!
Anyone have a wiring diagram for which wire goes where on the board for that coil?
Thanks all and HH!

Z, Please keep us posted on how that new coil works out. I may want to change my 10" coil to an 8" as well. I have a trashy lake with murky water that makes pinpointing a challenge. I'd also be curious to see how that smaller coil works on small gold including chains. GL&HH!

Thanks all for your input, I ended up buying a tornado 8 inch coil, one of the last ones available on amazon, should be here for me to do the swap in about two weeks...
I remember people who preferred the 8 over the 10, and my spots are VERY trashy so hopefully it will help with that too!
Anyone have a wiring diagram for which wire goes where on the board for that coil?
Thanks all and HH!
look

Attachments

• pin4.jpg
    pin4.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,249
Z, Please keep us posted on how that new coil works out. I may want to change my 10" coil to an 8" as well. I have a trashy lake with murky water that makes pinpointing a challenge. I'd also be curious to see how that smaller coil works on small gold including chains. GL&HH!
Fresh water with fine gold - is worth trying

Thanks Stavr, that was exactly what i was looking for. Not only do you make a FINE scoop you help people out as well!

Back
Top Bottom