Tesoro DeLeon vs. Garrett AT Pro

Smudge

Hi Everybody.

I have done a fair amount of research and I am down to two detectors: the DeLeon and AT Pro.

My soil is very mild so the DD coil is not preferred. The Tesoro comes with a concentric standard, so +1 Tesoro. Also, DD's love bottlecaps. The concentrics I have used rarely had a problem.

Because of my hunting style, I will be using the 4" sniper coil on either unit probably 90% of the time. Both coils are concentric, so this one is a draw.

I am a jewelry and clad hunter only. No old coins, no relics. The AT Pro is set a 14 kHz, the DeLeon at 10 kHz. That would seem to give the AT Pro a slight edge on jewelry, but does the 4 kHz difference really give that much of a advantage? I am curious what you folks think. +1 At Pro?

Both detectors have a TID screen which I intend to use to see how well the target signal locks in, or if it super jumpy. I don't know which machine has the advantage here. The AT Pro's screen is harder to read being small. No problem with the DeLeon, but there are more factors involved than just visibility when it comes to TID screens.

Build quality, I can't tell you. Sure, I have heard of problems with the AT Pro, but look at how units are out there! Also, Garrett seems to address each claim quickly. Never heard of problems with the DeLeon, but then they don;t sell like the AT Pros (and yes, Tesoro does have that lifetime warranty as long as ou are the original owner).

Balance, the AT Pro is definitely nose heavy with the stock coil. Don't know if the sniper will make a big difference. I do like the feel of the DeLeon with the standard coil. It feels like it has a better balance. How is it withe the sniper? I don't know.

I guess my question comes down to performance. Which would do better on jewelry as they are probably equal in the coin department.

I am deciding soon, so any opinions would be appreciated.

When you're detecting that park, and you're killin it on the great finds, and those clouds roll in and it starts raining, and you're not ready to leave yet... which would you want to have in your hands?

You can order the AT Pro with which coil you want, so that's not a real issue anymore. If you want to get in the creeks and lakes and do some summer detecting on those extremely hot days, you can grab the AT Pro and head to the water, guess you can't say that abt the Tesoros :)

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it. But who seels the AT Pro with your choice of coil? Does Kellyco do that?

AT Pro with small coil should do you good. Inland in Northeast Florida there isn't much need hunting silver coins here. Clad and jewelry are where it's at here. Only time I use the big coil is at the beach in the dry sand on the AT pro. Terry Soloman broke me from ever wanting to own a Tesoro. You'll need someone else to recommend one of those:lol:

I would say the AT Pro. I say this not based on the fact I use one but looking at the specs.

You want Target ID accuracy. The more target ID segements the more accurate target ID is. The AT Pro has 12 where the DeLeon has 5.

I happen to feel ground balance has a lot to do with stability and depth in poor ground. The AT Pro has a choice of Auto GB or Manual GB to do some super tuning. The DeLeon has a fixed GB.

Lastly, as far as depth my bet would be on the AT Pro not only because of a bigger coil, 8.5x11" on the AT Pro vs 9x8" on the DeLeon. I also happen to feel even a simple 4 kHz does make a difference in low conductor and small target sensitivity.

Since you asked no way would I mess with a Tesoro. Get the ATP but.... As others mentioned the 5x8 coil is a must in my opinion. It is a superior machine with it not to mention light and well balanced.

ATP with the 5x8. I use it. I love it. the smaller coil dismissed the nose-heaviness of the machine and in fact lightens it overall a pretty noticeable bit.

I don't ever regret getting my At Pro. It is so versatile and I have hunted in the rain, wet sand beaches, under water, even salt water and wet salt sand(just turn down sens) and GB when ever switching ground conditions water-wet sand to dry sand. Also I don't notice any "nose heaviness". Try shortening the shaft a little may help with balancing. GL HH Tom

I've only had my AT Pro for a couple of months, but I can already attest to its amazingness. This thing is a beast. The fact that it's waterproof is great! You can hose it off after a muddy hunt and even completely submerge it. I can't wait to take it in the water this summer!

Also, saying that the ATP loves bottlecaps isn't entirely true. The detector does give you a low-high-low reading and enabling the iron audio will give it an easily identifiable grunt. It's the little voice in the back of your head that makes you wonder, so you dig it anyways, even though the machine gave you clues as to what it was.

The AT Pro is definitely a great machine and many people use it here on the forum, so any questions you ever have will be answered. Additionally, Garrett's customer service is second to none. I stupidly dinged my screen decal with my lesche the other week; it only took a two minute call to Garrett for a new decal to be sent to me that day free of charge. Things happen out in the field and it's certainly nice to know that you have a two year warranty where Garrett will take care of you completely.

However, you should feel free to purchase whichever detector you feel fits your needs the best. It definitely is personal preference.

I`ll give you my opinion of the DeLeon since that is what I use half the time and I have the 4 inch coil for the picnic area`s.
The shortcomings are the battery doors, mine eventually fell off because the hinges are plastic, I used some E6000 and made a bead where the hinge broke and it went on for 2 more years till the toggle switch started sticking.
I sent it in and they replaced the doors no charge but paid 50 for the switch repair.
The toggle is my(maybe yours) best friend with the small coil , even with the standard coil too, I tend to hunt all metals with the little coil then toggle to disc. This goes on the whole hunt so I am surprised my toggle lasted 4 some years.
It is fast to respond and target ID and centering is fast and easy, the little 4 inch coil has pretty good depth too especially if you use all metals and then find a deep one , switch to disc. and if it locks on a particular target ID 3 out of 5 times it is probably going to be that target.
Using the stock coil is pretty sweet too, I sometimes use that around trashy places and find it separates really well.
Target ID is very accurate although nickels seem to jump around but the signal on them is solid and you wont want to pass.
Zinc read on zinc if it is a shallow fresh penny drop but if it is deep or if t is corroded it will jump zinc and to the left, I can ID them every time but I still dig them, some people say gold rings can read there but I expect gold would be a solid hit and not jump around.
Speaking of gold , every gold hit has been a rock solid hit, and every silver the same.
You can probably tell I like mine, It is light, compact and easy to set up and respectably deep, I regularly dig up little levi rivet sized object ,iron discrimination is excellent and completely ignores it with the settings.
Hope that gives some balance to your decision.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am going to sleep on it and decide tomorrow. Wish me luck. I will post my choice after I get it if you like.

Good Luck on choosing a machine.

I know nothing about the DeLeon so I have no advise about it. I do have an AT Pro and think with the 5X8 coil it is a great detector.

Let us know which way you went and why.

I have the ATP with 5by8 coil and LOVE it! I also have the 11inch. It makes a large difference for my small arms to have the small coil on it!:yes:
I don't think the De leon has a fast recovery speed like the ATP +1 for Garrett.:yes: Actually +5 :D

ATP is 15khz...

The bottom line is you hunting style. You want the jewelry so get an ATP. Take it to a fresh water lake and go nuts. Look at what Ice Scratcher did this year... PHENOMENAL!

Also, a minelab 705 (for example) comes with a 7.5 kHz concentric coil, but if you want to up your advantage ask the boys running the 3 kHz Coiltek. Bet they say that 4.5 kHz made a big difference. Now translate that to you finding what you want to find

If I was choosing between the I would choose the Tesoro Tejon ;), I know that is wasn't one of your choices but the Tejon won't let you miss any good targets relying on the display. It does not have a display but the discrimination is so good you would think it did. It is deep, has manual ground balance, great on coins & jewelry. One of Tesoro's finest in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom