New detector for my GF for christmas?

NoelGZ

My GF enjoys metal detecting as much as I do (I know, I'm a lucky guy), but she uses my old Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505 that i gave her when i upgraded to my Garrett ATPro early this year. It works and she doesnt mind using it but I would like to put her behind a better machine with an easy to see VDI readout. She is very humble and was ecstatic about getting my old machine so I know she would be ecstatic to get a brand new machine. My only question is which one?? I would like to get her something light, maybe with a DD coil, with a nice easy to read VDI and very easy to distinguish sounds. I'm not looking to break the bank. Looking for around $300-400 dollar machine. She enjoys finding old coins and rings/jewelry. Things of that nature. I dont want to get her an ATP because they are pretty heavy and honestly she doesnt like the small VDI and the even smaller black markings under the penny, dime, quarter, etc. What do you guys reccommend? I have looked at videos of the Fisher F2 and it looks pretty good for the price but ive heard alot of good things about a ton of other machines. What is a good bang for the buck detector for that price range? Would the F2 find silver coins pretty well? Whats its depth? If not, what else should i look at? Thanks for any help! I am a bit stumped lol.

Yes the Eurotek pro is another good/popular option

ive spent the last hour looking at info and videos on the eurotek and wow what a great little machine for the money! it has features that my ATPro doesnt even have. Definetly be doing more research on both of these machines. Thanks guys.

F2 3 coil package is one option, although the 10" coil that goes deeper than the 8" is a bit heavier.
The F2 with the DD coil is well within your price point, add in a sniper coil for about $35 and you have a set up that will find the goods at most type of sites.
No iron audio on this one, but I used one for years, found tons of coins and jewelry easily using all 3 concentric coils... especially that sniper, so evidently I didn't need that feature all that much but then again I usually hunt sites with extreme amounts of extreme park trash but I rarely hunted iron infested sites.

The ETP is the new darling of the low price detectors, lots of features even some higher price detectors don't have.
If you want a sniper coil for this one, one of my favorite types because I hunt some very trashy sites looking for coin and jewelry targets, that is going to cost you because there is no low cost sniper coil option for this one like the F2 but the DD coil AND the sniper coil can still probably be bought for about that $400 price.
Maybe less from the right dealer.

The F2 with some sort of multiple coil options or the ETP are your best choices.

F2 3 coil package is one option, although the 10" coil that goes deeper than the 8" is a bit heavier.
The F2 with the DD coil is well within your price point, add in a sniper coil for about $35 and you have a set up that will find the goods at most type of sites.
No iron audio on this one, but I used one for years, found tons of coins and jewelry easily using all 3 concentric coils... especially that sniper, so evidently I didn't need that feature all that much but then again I usually hunt sites with extreme amounts of extreme park trash but I rarely hunted iron infested sites.

The ETP is the new darling of the low price detectors, lots of features even some higher price detectors don't have.
If you want a sniper coil for this one, one of my favorite types because I hunt some very trashy sites looking for coin and jewelry targets, that is going to cost you because there is no low cost sniper coil option for this one like the F2 but the DD coil AND the sniper coil can still probably be bought for about that $400 price.
Maybe less from the right dealer.

The F2 with some sort of multiple coil options or the ETP are your best choices.

Thank you Digger for agreeing with me partially, usually i start forum disputes :)

F2 is the way to go.... Just tryed one this last weekend for the first time. First off its lite. Supper lite. Large VDI. Works better is salt water sand then my ATP. Low price. Looking forward to seeing what else it can do....

Thank you Digger for agreeing with me partially, usually i start forum disputes :)

Just being logical.
The ETP wasn't a choice I had when I bought my F2, and at the time I had no clue exactly how handy and useful the sniper coils would be to me in the kind of sites I usually hunt.
If the Pro was available back then I might have went a different way, but my experiences and huge amount of finds with the F2 in 3 years, over $1000 in clad, older and silver coins and more silver and gold jewelry than is probably allowed by law, tells me that the F2 was a great choice for me no matter what.
Sometimes you just "click" with certain tools if you are lucky, and with the Fisher line evidently I do.
Nowadays, head to head the Pro probably wins with its extra features, but when you add in the value of the price the F2 packages with multiple coils and consider what the F2 is capable of even without those extra features, I still believe that even things out pretty well.
Some excellent choices out there presently in the entry level model price points, more than ever before, and I see owners of all of them post some great finds when they commit to learning any of them well.

She doesn't want a detector. She wants a ring.

If she likes her detector she can find her own ring.
I tried to get the wife into this hobby for that reason, she swung my F2 for 30 seconds and that is about all the experience she will ever have in this hobby.
Now I regularly give up my jewelry finds to her, plus her mother lives with us now so I have 2 women taking my treasures away from me.
Plus, last Christmas I gave her son a very nice gold and diamond ring as a present, and then he promptly went back to California and sold it for $250 because he is a starving artist trying to break into acting.
Also, do you think any of these jewelry pieces these women "adopt" count as a Christmas present?
I think they should...they don't.
"Sigh"

Luckily, I am able to bring home more than enough shiny baubles they like that now they actually tell me to go out and hunt.

Back
Top Bottom