Basic Pouch or Vest recommendations

GillyWI

Elite Member
I need to do something different. I am so basic that for the last year I have been traipsing around with a 1 gallon plastic ice cream bucket. Empty, by the way, before you ask if I prefer chocolate or Rocky Road, LOL. (Rocky Road).

One nice thing I do have to say is leaving the bucket lay where I last dug can be helpful, but not neccesary I guess. I mainly thought of using an ice cream bucket to put the dirt in, which also was handy.

So, the couple pouches I have seen are by Garretts (camo diggers pouch for example), http://www.amazon.com/Garrett-Metal...5&sr=8-14&keywords=garrett+metal+detector+bag
or by Fisher
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-Meta...Accessories&hash=item2ec7f42dc2#ht_1931wt_924

But wondering if anyone has other suggestions. I am ordering a Garrett PP, I think will come with a holster or I do see a bracket to hold a PP that attaches to the tube on the detector I am thinking on getting.

I have a small plastic scoop I use and also a Fiskars digging tool, those are it, but I know if I stop using the bucket I will need something like a towel to put dirt on when i dig.

If you like basic a nail apron is hard to beat. Around a buck at menards.

Do you guys that use a nail apron find it easy to also carry your digging tools in? That's the thing about getting landscaper type tools instead of MDing tools is that the MD tools usually come with something to attach them to yourself like a belt holster.

If you look behind the skull you can see the two-pocket tool pouch I use. The front metal ring carries the Propointer, the rear metal ring I use to hang my cloth (blue jean rag) for dirt, the small pocket (behind the skull) is for the good finds (a small plastic bottle holds the really good finds), and the larger pouch holds the junk and the Lesche. Works pretty well for the hunting I do.

Attachments

• md1.jpg
    md1.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 899
This is the pouch I use...
1-2.jpg

I don't wear a vest, If I do, it will be kevlar :yes:

<*)))>{

The fiskars tools I have both have slots or holes on the handles, so actually I could get one (or a pair actually) of those hooks that hang on to your belt and carry those that way.
I have a offer for a free pouch from an area forum member, so can start out with that and see how it goes.
Would then just need something to carry a the small drop-cloth with, an thinking of one of those metal loops that carpenters carry a hammer with, I assume this sort of stuff like the metal hooks and hammer loop I can get at a home improvement center?

I wear a nail apron and have to Pro Pointer case on the string. Trash goes on one side and a heavy piece of vinyl for the dirt on the other. I wear BDU pants or shorts with the six pockets and finds go into the left leg pocket. I use a Lesche most of the time, it has a holster, but can put my other digger in the apron.

I use a old Night vision goggle bag to hold my finds in. And I have a retractable lanyard attached to my pinpointer which is attached to my belt. I also have a Carabiner or D clip attached to my digger which attaches to my NVG bag. I have to have everything secured....(Years of Army).

I use Garretts older model pouch. IMO, it is better than their newer one- less of a zipper to break.

I personally use one of the Minelab finds bag on a belt with my lesche digger and PP on it also. the Lesche and pp came with a sheath. I like having a zipper for my nice coins/arrowheads or jewelry..Think zipper!!!

I like the looks of that Browning 1/2 vest might be real handy I've been using a kellyco shoulder bag but at time it's not real handy to get into. may have to see if I can find one of those 1/2 vests instead.

Pinpointer

I once left without my pinpointer and don't like too much hanging on my belt or around my waist so I took some Gorilla tape (same company as Gorilla glue) and taped the PP holster to the shaft of my detector. To keep the PP from swinging and to make it more secure I got a PVC one inch coupler from the plumbing dept of the hardware store, right below the holster. The tip of the PP slides into that and is nice and snug. Now I can't forget the PP and its very handy when I need it. :cool:

whitesbag028.jpg

treasurebags001.jpg

I have a White's, Minelab, Treasurewise and underwater pouches. The Treasurewise is the only one that came with a ballistic nylon belt.

The White's has three big areas for stuff, the Minelab has two big areas for stuff and a small zipped area for important finds, the Treasurewise has two big areas for stuff and two little pockets that I never seem to use for anything. The underwater bag is made of a mesh material for the large outer bag for trash and it has an inner small zipped area for important finds, it came with it's own shoulder strap.

I'm really liking my camo pouch. Price is right too!

I can see that a trip to an army surplus store can get you very nice belts and bags that do the same thing also!

I use a military style Dump pouch made by Condor. It can be rolled up on you belt when not in use. Check out Maxpediion also. Best pouch I have ever used.

Found this pouch at Wal-Mart

I was in the clearance isle at Wal-Mart and found a Winchester Shell Pouch marked down to less than $10.00.
I has a DEEP pouch with a zippered mesh bottom (the empty shells would be put here, and then you unzippered the bottom to empty the shells. Will make for a great place to put the trash items! The dirt will fall through and you don't have to turn your pouch upside down to clean it out!
Then it has two more pouches that can be used for your finds and tools.
It looks like it may work better than any of the other pouches I have tried in the last 40 years.
It also comes with a nylon web belt, but I will probably get another heavy utility belt for this pouch so the weight doesn't pull down to bad.

Back
Top Bottom