what small shovel would you all suggest?

luked

would like to get me a small shovel to carry along for deep targets I think it might be easier than just my Lesch, what ones do you all have and where did you get them?

The Sampson 31" serrated is pretty nice.

I do have two complaints about it though:

The shaft is a little wide for a t handle. When I carry it with my index and middle finger on either side of the shaft, they go numb. Maybe my fingers just don't like being stretched that far apart, but it might as well be an L handle. D handles might be a better choice in terms of comfort.

I'd love to use it as a walking stick while on the move, but at 6' its a couple inches too short and I have to carry it.

Also, it'll set off my AT Pro at almost two feet. I have to carry it behind my leg to avoid chatter. It may seem trivial, but on long hunts, its distracting and somewhat uncomfortable.

lesche sampson 31 T serrated

love them,havn't used a hand digger for year's,2 the same in the pick,you can get them at http://newenglanddetectors.com/ happy hunting Earl

Attachments

• 20110613_1.JPG
    20110613_1.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 1,175
I have both the 31" and the 18" Sampson's. I find that I use the 18" more than I do the other. I can dig with it sitting down. It cuts through roots easily and I can carry it on my belt. I never was in favor of shovels until I got them. There are still a lot of places I wouldn't use them but it's hard to tell where I've dug, unlike whoever was digging at my favorite park with a large shovel and doing a lousy job of filling their holes.
LH6.JPG

I use the Mini Sampson exclusively now, unless I am in a private yard or a perfectly manicured park. Another great option is the small shovel which the Dollar Store sells for $8 bucks. Those are the 2 best options IMO. I like the super short shovels instead of 30-40" shovels. They just look better to the public eye in the places I usually hunt. martin

I use this one, cut the handle down. It makes deep narrow plugs. And, it not expensive at Home Depot. $26.97. 4 inch by 6 inch blade

Attachments

• f2b59c8b-ca4d-411e-ac97-44d6f7faf1fa_300.jpg
    f2b59c8b-ca4d-411e-ac97-44d6f7faf1fa_300.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,487
Predator model 88 - Hercules - ball handle....very well made.....as are all Predator tools.....gl and hh!!!

ResizedImage_1366932267545.jpg
I cut the orange one down and used a D handle off an old snow shovel. I use it a lot along creek banks in tree roots (4" wide) and in hard packed soil. Works great for flipping a plug also. With such an angle, I found it tough to use one handed. The D handle really helps.

ResizedImage_1366932267937 (2).jpg
I "trimmed" the other one up and use it for fields, open woods, beaches befor the season starts, etc,

The Dollar Store $8 Black and Decker is strong. I don't own one as I love the 18" Mini. If you don't mind the price, the Mini is still my recommendation. All Dollar-labeled stores don't sell the same shovel. B&Decker seems to be the best.

I really like my folding military shovel. It's an original that was built very sturdy. What I like most about it is the blade of the shovel has no curve to it so it's very flat like a razor blade cutting into the ground. People can't believe how smooth and easy I can cut a plug because the straight blade causes no resistance

The Predator Little Eagle works for me when I want a small shovel. Since getting the Raptor, with it's ability to scoop out dirt so well, I often just carry it.

I just received my Sampson 31" from CMD and I like it a lot.
I also bought the T-handle holster for it at the same time and saved four bucks.

Back
Top Bottom