Digging shovel.

trailtwister

Looking at this one, way cheaper than from a detector company.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Short-Handle-Fiberglass-Drain-Spade/50299987

So tell me it won't work cause it didn't cost a arm and half of a leg. Or it won't work because it isn't sold by a detector company.

I saw a you tube a guy cut those teeth along the edge on a regular round shovel with a angle grinder. I have a angle grinder and a bench vice so I can do that too.

:D Al

I used this same shovel for the longest time. I still do, I just stored it at my farm in Jersey. Works great.

I did mod mine a little, ran it on the bench grinder to give it a point and sharpen it up some.

So tell me it won't work cause it didn't cost a arm and half of a leg. Or it won't work because it isn't sold by a detector company.

I saw a you tube a guy cut those teeth along the edge on a regular round shovel with a angle grinder. I have a angle grinder and a bench vice so I can do that too.

It'll dig, but much more difficult to cut a clean, replaceable plug with a shovel that narrow. Gonna leave telltale digging unless you are extremely careful.

No mention in the specs about heat treatment. May not hold an edge. I'm all for a better price as long as the items are comparable beyond the general specs. I don't know about this shovel, just saying sometime things look the same but there is a vast technical difference. Experienced users may be your best source of reference in this case.

Interesting approach requesting to have people tell you that you made a poor choice, and I figure someone will oblige. That can be someone else's thing though...Hopefully it works out for ya and good luck with the serations. GL&HH!

Ah well, here's an alternative in that range that has held up to some fairly heavy prying, rocks and roots so far. Not the best, but much less out of pocket than the Sampson. American company out of Michigan, but they unfortunately manufacture overseas...

https://radiusgarden.com/products/root-slayer-nomad

Pretty similar cost, 9" blade instead of 16", weighs around half. Tempered mid carbon steel, fairly decent serrations, carbon steel shaft. Round ring handle kinda sucks, kinda doesn't...Available on Amazon with prime shipping.

Get one with a wooden handle for a fair bit less $$. All I use for field hunting, though now I use a modified trenching shovel.

It is double the weight of a Sampson.

Good call.

This is a factor that needs to be looked at. When you carry a shovel all day, you will notice the weight. Unless a shovel is needed, a good quality hand digger is a better option.

I have several shovels, 3 shovels are the predator shovels that look like the sampson shovels. They are strong and light. But I mainly use a hand digger for parks and yards.

The lowes shovel will be fine and should hold up well for you but IMO, it is not the best for digging hundreds of holes in a day's time.

I am not going to be making this detecting thing a job. So I am not going to dig hundreds of holes a day. May go out for as long as a four hour stint but not all day.

The only time I use a shovel style digger is when I'm in the woods or a farm field. Any place else I use my Lesche digger and leave no trace.;):yes:

The only time I use a shovel style digger is when I'm in the woods or a farm field. Any place else I use my Lesche digger and leave no trace.;):yes:

Better bring those shovels if you come up here if not better bring a case of beer because targets are usually deeeeeeep and will take quit a long time to dig up:laughing:

Better bring those shovels if you come up here if not better bring a case of beer because targets are usually deeeeeeep and will take quit a long time to dig up:laughing:
Got it buddy. I'll be packin the big gun shovel.;):lol: And a beer as well.:D

Got it buddy. I'll be packin the big gun shovel.;):lol: And a beer as well.:D
Picking up a new pistol tomorrow to carry while I’m in the woods have had quite a few bear encounters in the spring . Few wolves also so bring one with ya.

I think grayling has to be michigans sand pit, here it is clay. Summer hard as concrete stuff and spring stick to your boots !!!!.
At my deer camp east of Rapid River I have a good mix of sand on the beach and several hundered years of what had been beach front and the hills are mostly clay and shale rock.

No wolves yet that I have seen but lots of coyotes.

Finally got to Lowe's on a crappy weather day (haven't they all been this spring?) looked that shovel I had listed above and decided I didn't need one with a blade once in the ground you hit the under side of china. But it seemed nice to me if you wanted to dig deep.

I bought this one instead.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Blue-Hawk-Short-Handle-Wood-Digging-Shovel/3526180

I am doing my searching in the woods for now. Even the old 1850's to 1900 saw mill area are over grown with trees, apple trees bearing fruit now too.
Old train road beds that hauled logs to the mill are mostly over grown now too. Every once in a while you will find a old spike just looking for Morels.

Haven't been out in over two weeks the ground is froze harder now than in January.

Has just started once again 4-9-18:no::no:

Ah well, here's an alternative in that range that has held up to some fairly heavy prying, rocks and roots so far. Not the best, but much less out of pocket than the Sampson. American company out of Michigan, but they unfortunately manufacture overseas...

https://radiusgarden.com/products/root-slayer-nomad

Pretty similar cost, 9" blade instead of 16", weighs around half. Tempered mid carbon steel, fairly decent serrations, carbon steel shaft. Round ring handle kinda sucks, kinda doesn't...Available on Amazon with prime shipping.

I have this one too and it works great. Light and plenty strong/durable. Got it on Amazon as well. I've been really happy with it.

For years I have used a regular shovel, a craftsman from Sears. On my third one, if handle gets loose, just take it back and exchange. Used a sand scoop for a couple years beach hunting but went back to the shovel, couldn't move the sand fast enough. In the surf the sand come in as fast as you dig. Also instead of a point I ground a V in it, makes cutting roots easy. HH Jerry

Back
Top Bottom