• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tip on getting permissions through Facebook...

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
A local detectorist that I know has figured out a pretty good way to score a lot of GREAT permissions. Here's how he's doing it:

On Facebook there's usually local history groups for just about every town in every state. The majority of people posting there are just history buffs, not detectorists. The friend I mentioned gets on these local pages and posts pictures of some of his finds from around the area (tokens with the town name, mill tokens, CW relics, etc), along with the story of how/where he found them and any history he knows about the finds and/or the spot where he found them. People in the group seem to love it! His posts gets TONS of replies, and usually there's several group members inviting him to come detect their property. Mainly because they love history and they just want to see what comes out of the ground.

When he goes to hunt a group member's property, he usually gives them some of the finds and shows off what he found at that property on the group page, along with thanking them for the invite. The cycle repeats itself and he constantly has new permissions. He's very generous with his finds, and it really seems to pay off for him with an endless flow of new permissions.

He also makes some displays using relics from the town and does giveaways on the FB group page. Group members really like this too, and it gains him even more permissions.

Anyway, I was impressed with his method and figured I'd pass it along.

Good stuff. I have really shot myself in the foot by refusing to use social media over the years in a lot more ways than just MD permissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good stuff. I have really shot myself in the foot by refusing to use social media over the years in a lot more ways than just MD permissions.

But it's quite possible shooting yourself in the foot helped you avoid shooting yourself in the head.

Social media is a double-edged sword...

But it's quite possible shooting yourself in the foot helped you avoid shooting yourself in the head.

Social media is a double-edged sword...

Absolutely. Pure poison in most cases. Its a big part of why we are in the condition we are in.

Fantastic idea. Thanks for sharing. [emoji1360][emoji1360][emoji1360]

Absolutely. Pure poison in most cases. Its a big part of why we are in the condition we are in.

But you guys are both using social media right now by being members of this forum.
“Social media” is not just limited to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram. It’s any place where people can share information with each other within a digital space. This forum is a great example of that.

And if Facebook can help me get some awesome permissions then I’m all for it. [emoji16][emoji1360]

But you guys are both using social media right now by being members of this forum.
“Social media” is not just limited to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

I don't wish to hijack the thread, but I do feel the need to point out the differences.

Facebook, et. al., use algorithms and so forth to rank user-generated content, and censor user-generated content that is inconsistent with the owner's political and social views. Forums like this typically do not do that; they post rules -- generally along the lines of keep it on topic, no hate, no politics, and so forth, and attempt to use law-based judgment to enforce those rules in a neutral manner, where FB et. al. use man-based judgment in how their algorithms work and what they censor.

The difference is crucial, and when someone refers to "social media", they are generally referring to the latter. I've done quite a bit of work on this, including writing 25 conservative slanted posts on FB, and 25 liberal slanted posts on FB, and examining how their algorithm ranks them.

In any case, thanks for the permission tip, but forums like this and "social media" like FB are entirely different beasts.

In any case, thanks for the permission tip, but forums like this and "social media" like FB are entirely different beasts.

Yes. That is great information, Randy. And I do agree with you. These two social media platforms ARE completely different (Facebook can really be a presumptuous turd at times). But, if you can use it as a tool to further your detectoring career then I'm all in.

Thanks for the tip, Rattlehead. I joined my city's historical page last night. Really great info and potential locations that I'll start chatting with some folks about. (And sorry for the off topic convo. I think that was my fault.)

No problem guys. FWIW, I agree with the post above about Facebook's obvious political bias. I'm not a fan at all.. But I will use it to gather permissions.

Back
Top Bottom