Whites Coinmaster GT vs. MX5

I M Lookin

I was out for the first time with a borrowed GT. I liked it and found a few things but don't have anything to compare it against. Before I "pull the trigger" on a purchase, I want to know what I am missing for one (big) price point higher.

I understand the Coinmaster GT is pretty much the same as the discontinued Prizm 6T. A thread from 2007 on the Whites forum discusses the 6T compared to the MX5 here:

http://forums.whiteselectronics.com/showthread.php?70621-Prizm-6T-versus-MX5&highlight=versus

And here are some "non-review" thoughts from September 2013 from another forum. https://www.ahrps.org/forums/read.php?2,2109,2112#msg-2112

Here is a more complete and technical review:
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?31,1962188,page=2

But I don't know if there are qualities the Coinmaster GT has that the 6T did not have for the sake of comparing it to the MX5. The MX5 is $200 more than the Coinmaster GT. What are the differences between these two that make the MX5 worth $200 more.

Please discuss in terms of the following:

Ease of use/weight
Display features
Sensitivity
Selectivity/discrimination - is the MX5 any more accurate in identifying the type of metal than the GT?
Depth (using equal coils)
Value/Resale

The features appear to be virtually identical between the Coinmaster GT and the MX5. What are the REAL/usable differences?

The only benefit I am aware of is more coils are available. What are the benefits of the additional coils beyond the two that are available for the Coinmaster GT?

Thanks

Both are excellent detectors. MX5 uses the same coils as higher end Whites detectors. MX5 has a threshold control . Both have backlight which is awesome for night beach hunts here in FL.
also for the GT there are 3 coils available from Whites and 5 from NEL.
Call me during the afternoon if you have more ?'s.
Thanks, phil

I'd go for the MX5 just due to the fact of the coil options. Also if you decide later to step up to a V machine you already have extra coils.

Both are excellent detectors. MX5 uses the same coils as higher end Whites detectors. MX5 has a threshold control . Both have backlight which is awesome for night beach hunts here in FL.
also for the GT there are 3 coils available from Whites and 5 from NEL.
Call me during the afternoon if you have more ?'s.
Thanks, phil

Thanks, Phil. What do you think of the added value for the added dollars, from an experienced detectorists perspective? What does the extra $200 buy in actual features and performance? As one example, what benefits, if any, does the higher frequency provide for the user? What benefits to the user would the other differences between the two units provide?

I've notice that most machines are described as awesome, excellent, or fantastic detectors for the money. If one "excellent" machine is $100 and another "excellent" machine is $800, and there is negligible difference in degree of "excellence" between the two, then I guess the obvious answer is to get the $100 "excellent" machine. However, I suspect there might be more than a "negligible difference" in "excellence" between the GT and MX5. If there is, I figure such difference might also be worth knowing.

So, detectorist experts - put your detectorist thinking caps on and describe the significant differences between these two machines. Curious minds would really like to know.

Jerry

I think you need to find a local whites dealer and make a trip there imo.. You have a lot of questions that would best be answered hands on, in store

I thought that was what this forum was for?:shock:

This forum is for many things, you're asking for advice, and that's mine.. You have a lot of questions, more then ive ever seen asked on here to be honest (not a bad thing at all btw) and I think that your best bet would be go to a dealer and see a demo machine for each, well the MX5 atleast since youve tried the GT, and know without a doubt you get the right machine for you.. Or stay on here and get a different answer to each question and end up with more questions then you started with:?:

Here's a comparison of the technical specifications from both detectors.

Very dry stuff, I know. All I can say is, I had a Prizm with a 9.5 inch & 8 inch stock coil and still own the MXT with 3 coils.
The Prizm (now coinmaster) was/is a great beginner detector which gives a lot of fun and good finds by an easy to use detector.

But the MXT, which comes very close to the MX5, gives you more capabilities to adjust the detector to your needs and has a wider range of coils available.

And Jay_781 did a great suggestion to say visit a dealer. But give the dealer a call firstly to make sure he will have some time to discuss pros and cons. And may be you can bring along some target samples you want to find and some you will not have to dig, like small, thin gold ring/chain and bottle caps or so. This way you can test the sensitivity/disc first hand.

IMHO

Ive used the mxt series since they came out. Imo best detector whites makes. The mx5 is a digital form of the mxtpro. No knobs all digital. The mxtpro is not fully digital because it has knobs. Whites wanted to make the mxt series fully digital by making a mx5. I really like the mx5 and its proformance It matches the mxt and mxtpro in depth, and options except for trac lock. I believe the mx5 may have a faster recovery .. Plus the mx5 can be used in the rain. The coil choice alone should be worth the extra over any coinmaster series. Hands down mx5.

I bought and hunted with the 6T and it is a good well made machine. It did have quirks, around metal structures it was very ratty compared to other machines. I traded for the M6 and was very satisfied. Due to a wrist injury I went to lighter machines. The MX5 was not out then, so I have not tried it. One thing consistent with whites better detectors, the ground balance is the best in the business and they are built to last. JMO

Ive used the mxt series since they came out. Imo best detector whites makes. The mx5 is a digital form of the mxtpro. No knobs all digital. The mxtpro is not fully digital because it has knobs. Whites wanted to make the mxt series fully digital by making a mx5. I really like the mx5 and its proformance It matches the mxt and mxtpro in depth, and options except for trac lock. I believe the mx5 may have a faster recovery .. Plus the mx5 can be used in the rain. The coil choice alone should be worth the extra over any coinmaster series. Hands down mx5.

Thanks for all your comments. I am officially an MX5 guy (although I really liked my three other favorites, too.) I can see myself owning more than one machine.

Below is a photo of the items I got in 1/2 hour of my first hunt with the MX5.
The left most object is less than 1/2" wide and was 7 to 8" deep. It read around 40-45 on the vdi scale. It looks like the point of a masonry drill bit - whatever those are made of. But I was impressed with the depth relative to the size of this thing.:digginahole:

The MX5 was right on in identifying each one of these items which ranged from 3 to 8". Left to right: Part of drill bit, 1984 penny, piece of aluminum, brazing rod, foil. All junk but great practice.

Attachments

• 1-DSCF6543.jpg
    1-DSCF6543.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 1,418
Back
Top Bottom