• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Tip to getting permission

YARDBYRD

Just something to think about.......The last three people I have approached about permission to hunt their land all started out with somewhat puzzled looks on their faces. At that point I decided to adlib what I was going to say next, avoiding my planned approach. I went with this...... I would be willing to sit down after any finds and you pick a coin I pick a coin and so on. With all three people the puzzled look lessoned but didn't entirely dissapear. Then I went with the ONLY thing I could think of........I said  I have an extra detector I would be more then happy to give you a quick lesson and would enjoy the company.

In all three cases smiles came acrossed their faces and I got three yes answers, as soon as the weather gets better anyway. At that point the Ice was broken and they all started telling me stories about the land they owned. One guy owns a farm and in one of his fields are bricks from an old homestead that have been farmed under :?: This land has been handed down for well over 100 years and get this.....The people that built the old homestead were local bankers. ;).

Another guy told me that his land had been in the family since his great great grandfather. I did some reasearch and one of his ancesters was the first settler in that area in 1820. Hopefully when the weather breaks I will have some great spots.

Nice going on breaking the ice. Not only will you have the access to the new places, but you just might have brought some new people into the hobby. Well done.

Once The conversation with the first guy was over I thought the same thing. I thought I might have just got someone else interested in the hobby. It just really amazed me that when I mentioned letting them use a detector on how quick they all said yes. I believe what it did was assured them that I was serious about this and made them at ease about me being there. I guess i'll know if they get hooked on it or not when they bring out the backhoe as a digging tool :lol:

At first the "cold call" was difficult but, now I don't have any problems with it.
But, the spare detector idea is awesome! I think that is a great way
a. to get permission
b. get someone else involved in our hobby
c. open doors

Great tip :!:

Great job,

I usually get hung up on the "You want to dig holes on my property :?: :?:?"

Its pretty hard explaining that, yes I would like to dig holes on your property, but ........ and the digging technique comes next. Ive found alot of people just dont want to hear it. :( :(

Rejection stinks, but the one in five :yes: replies make up for the 4 of five :( replies.

Tardbyrd, that was an excellent approach on your first post, in getting permission to detect on their land. It doesn't take much, does it, and people are often curious if there's any history or artifacts to be found. So offering to show your finds, and maybe letting go of a relic or two, won you permission to detect, and a range of great family stories to go with it! Good on you!
HH Angela :grin:

Back
Top Bottom