Fixed the Arm Cuff on My Deleon With a Little Help From a 3D Printer

FelixtheCat

A Moderating Knight of the Round Coil
Super Mod
Forum Supporter
I use the clean sweep coil on my Deleon whenever I do dry sand hunts at the beach and it’s a heavy coil. I believe that this weight adds a lot of extra stress on the arm cuff and well I guess this last Sunday it finally took its toll when the arm cuff cracked down its length. (Pic 1) Since the arm cuff is built into the battery compartment I couldn’t just build a standalone arm cuff and reattach it. So I thought I could do something with bracing. I decided to make a pattern so I traced the good side and cut out the pattern. (Pics 2 & 3) Now that I have the pattern I had 2 choices. One, I could cut pieces of plastic using a scroll saw or give the pattern to a friend that has a 3D printer and let him make them for me. I chose the latter. (Pic 4). When I got the braces from him I was surprised at their strength and lightness. However, when I got home I found that they weren't as perfect as I expected it to be so I took my Dremel and sanded down a bit and shaped each piece to fit as best as possible. I then cleaned the pieces and the surfaces it was to be epoxied with alcohol. First, I put a nice long bead of epoxy on the cracked piece and then I put in 3 braces (Pic 5 & 6). As a prophylactic, I did the other side as well (Pic 7). I then mixed up some epoxy and filled in any gaps between the braces and the arm cuff. It seems to be incredibly strong and I do not expect to have any future issues. :good:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 204
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 225
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 194
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 188
That's a great idea...I work at a polytechnic institute, many 3D printer's around...will probably do something similar if I ever have another cuff issue...thanks for sharing!

Should do it...:dingding:

I fixed a friend's similar arm cuff. I removed the padding, and epoxied a half round PVC piece made to fit, inside all the original...

Yours looks like it could build up with ice though... :laughing:

<°)))>{

That's a great idea...I work at a polytechnic institute, many 3D printer's around...will probably do something similar if I ever have another cuff issue...thanks for sharing!

I have seen a lot of parts and gizmos being made for detectors out of 3D printers.

Yours looks like it could build up with ice though... :laughing:<°)))>{

Only if I put it in the freezer! ;)

Back
Top Bottom