My DIY digging tools

Nice work! And they look every bit as sturdy as mine. I've put mine through the paces, and am very happy as you will be. DIY is my favorite. Let us know how the hand diggers hold up as well. When work slows down, that will be my next project. Great skills.:yes:

Thanks oblivion! Will let you know how the hand diggers work out. :cheers:

Awesome work man, you have access to the RIGHT tools to be making stuff like that, wow!

Thanks zeemang. :cheers: Yeah I'm lucky to have access to all this stuff here at work. I love making things like this but the only problem is I can't do it very often 'cause the bossman gets mad at me. :( Something about slowing down production of company product? :lol:

Just a quick update. Been using this shovel pretty regularly lately and its been working well. At one site the ground was really hard packed with large rocks.. I used the tip of the blade to pry several of them out of the ground and so far the blade has held up just fine. It has replaced my Sampson as my go-to long handled digger. In softer ground where targets run deeper, the extra length of the blade makes it much easier to dig a deep but neat plug.

Another update: I wanted to see just how much abuse this plain old mild steel blade could stand up to so I used it to pry some bricks out of the ground in my back yard. Needless to say I found its limits. After prying up about 7 bricks that were embedded deep in the hard packed ground the tip started to bend. I was still impressed at how well it held up though. Under normal use I believe it would last a very long time.

Anyway, I decided to do some browsing on Predator Tools website and noticed that they have a model that I hadn't seen before.. The model 55 Barracuda. I find the 7.5" blade on the Sampson to be a little too short for digging deeper coins. I mean it works but a little bit longer blade would make life easier. I think the 11+" blade on the Predator Ranger is a bit too long for coin shooting unless you plan on digging 10+" coins regularly. The Barracuda seems to have hit the sweet spot with it's 9" blade. Very similar dimensions to my DIY shovel. I think I'm going to try one. The only thing I'll most likely change is the length. 38" OAL seems a bit long. I'll probably cut it down to 34" or so.

Just saw this thread....wow, those look really great. Any plans to sell them?

Just saw this thread....wow, those look really great. Any plans to sell them?

Thank you. Nah, I’m not selling them. Was just making a few for personal use. The blade steel is OK, but not strong enough that I’d be comfortable selling them. You’d be much better off getting one from Predator Tools , as those are made from 4130 which is much stronger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom