Arkansas civil war sites?

area

Hello neighbor im in south missouri about an hour north of Harrison. Im always looking to meet fellow hunters and new places if you guys do a group hunt i sure would like to join.

I live in fort smith and have been to the massard battle site a couple of times. I have found a civil war era bullet and possibly a really old horsh shoe. I'll post pics when I can. Those of you in fort smith might try goin in the sand by the river. I found my first gold ring there after detecting for about a month.

From what I'm figuring along the big muddy is your best bet. Lots of battles and small skirmishes in my neck of the woods.

I am in Hope, Arkansas and looking for someone to go detecting with. I have some places (old lots) here in town that I have gotten permission to search. Lets get -r - done.

Dont forget, after Prairie Grove Battle, Union Troops came south. Confederates came right down off Log Town Hill in Van Buren Straight down Main Street (which is now a great shopping destination and Historic Value). Confederates mounted boats and headed to the Fort Smith side. 3 boats, two made it. They sunk one so it would not fall into Union hands. So if anyone has researched this out correct me if I am wrong. But my best guess if they headed straight across, it is now River Valley Motorcross park. Which is basically open land people pay to go ride whatever on. I can also picture Union cannons on the top of Log Town Hill using elevation to fire. And since the Artillery did not move as fast I am guessing it would put them there about the same time the boats were going over. So from the base of the Hill to the river then Straight across. But this last is just pure speculation on my part. But either way im up for a scouting here or hunt elsewhere.

Last edited:
I'm in the hot springs area, do any of you know of a good place to go relic hunting close to my area? How do I find info on civil war locations in Arkansas? Thanks for any help. Also if anyone ever comes out this way or lives near by I wouldnt mind doing some relic hunting with some people. Thanks

Here's a list of the "major" engagements by state. Several of these (Hill Plantation/Cache River, St. Charles) are somewhat near me. I haven't even thought yet of looking for permission from landowners. Neither of these are protected within parks. There is also a Confederate cemetery (Nelson Conf. Cem.) and other unlisted skirmish sites (Brownsville, Reeds Bridge) nearby. All of these sites have adjacent private property that might hold relics. So far I haven't gone to the trouble to find the name of landowners or worked up the courage to approach them :roll:

http://www.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/bystate.htm

Here's a list of the "major" engagements by state. Several of these (Hill Plantation/Cache River, St. Charles) are somewhat near me. I haven't even thought yet of looking for permission from landowners. Neither of these are protected within parks. There is also a Confederate cemetery (Nelson Conf. Cem.) and other unlisted skirmish sites (Brownsville, Reeds Bridge) nearby. All of these sites have adjacent private property that might hold relics. So far I haven't gone to the trouble to find the name of landowners or worked up the courage to approach them :roll:

http://www.nps.gov/hps/abpp/battles/bystate.htm

Anyone ever get together? Sounds like some pretty good stuff.

Don't forget the new social group, Arkansas MD'ing. If anyone is interested.

Hey I live in greenwood right now and I am always needing spots to go metal detecting. Do you know of any?

Welcome outdoorsman1, but you've stumbled across a very old thread and may not get a reply from the OP.

Back
Top Bottom