Permission denied... maybe

Auriemma

Every day on my way home from work, I pass an old house with 1790 painted up near the roof. I've always thought "Man it would be great to hunt that property". But no one has ever been around to ask. Well over the weekend, I drive by and they are having a garage sale. So I stop. I ask about the property and come to find, the 1790 farm house is not the oldest building, there are 2 more from the 1750s, one being the toll house. So I ask about metal detecting the property and get an immediate No. I'm disappointed. The owner says he is a history buff (prefers bottles) and wants to find stuff himself, but is recovering from recent surgery and wants to buy a MD so he can. So I offer that for permission I'll loan him a metal detector and show him how to use it. He thinks about it, and asks me for a card. I write my cell number on the back of a business card and hand it to him. He says once he heals up from his surgery, he might give me a call.

That's the best I can hope for considering it started with a hard No.

Yeah I had a guy tell me no, then say I could detect, but not dig...:roll:

Another I asked, he said call in 3 months, I called in 3 months, he said call back in couple weeks, I'm thinking cool, he's about to let me, two weeks go by, I call, he informs me he doesn't want me to detect the property.:?:

People are weird lol

It might be helpful if you detect a small area of his property and show him your finds. Maybe show him that having an expert who knows the technology would be helpful for him finding his "goodies." If you can prove to him your worth as a detector, maybe he would be more trustworthy? My 2 cents!

A lot of people think that if you want to hunt their property there must be a lot of valuables there. They think that they can get their own detector and get it for them selves. Watching those metal detecting shows on the television left them thinking even the junk is priceless.

If they say they will call. I usually wright it off. Never had a call back from one of them. I guess that they figure it is a polite way to say no with out saying no.

It's like at the end of a bad date. You get the dreaded "I'll call you". Shot down.

:rifle:

Back in the 70s I stopped at an old 1880s Victorian country house with a cupola on top. I asked if they would mind if I probed for old bottles behind their old house. They replied "We look for old bottles too!" and declined my offer. Since that time that house has been razed and a new prefab house was erected on the site.

Every time I pass that place now I still wonder what I may have missed there.

Back
Top Bottom