Laws about hunting in lakes?

Luke99

Around here a lake is considerd "public" once you are in the water, so does it make it state land? is it off limits? Around here the people that own the beaches don't want detectors, but if i arrive by boat and stay in in the water can they do anything if im detecting 2 feet off their beach?

If I were you I would clarify that with the proper authorities.

The last thing you want is to get caught by a park ranger or DNR officer that does not interpet the laws your way. It would be a real bummer to get a stiff fine and lose your equipment because of a obscure relic law.

I'm itching to search around my home lake. I live on it. The laws on metal detecting in Arkansas are pretty gray. I know 5 state parks require a permit and anything found has to be left at the ranger station to give the owner the opportunity to claim it. There is no mention of MDing on my lake. However we do have very strict relic hunting laws. If you put a arrowhead in your pocket on public land, they will throw you under the jail.

Check a couple of sources and know the laws. It may save you some misery later.

The lake I live on i have riparian rights... meaning all our property pies into the center of the lake, but the lake my Bro lives on, the city owns a few feet around the lake and all the submerged land... check the property lines...

Luke,

Search your local parks and wildlife website for answers.

Also. Here in texas, most of the lakes are owned and operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers. I suspect they are present in your state as well. Just about all lakes and parks surrounding them have some sort of influence from the corps. Since that's the case, I can hunt just about any lake. They recommend getting a permit but they never check it. A permit costs either nothing or 15$.

Some lakes around here also have state parks on them. These parks are owned and opertated by Texas Parks and Wildlife but the lake is operated by the Corps. This means I can approach the beach of a park by boat, stay in the water and hunt. Once I get on dry land, I am tresspassing on the Parks Dept. Metal detecting in state parks in Texas is forbidden and will cost you your tools if caught. You can get permission to hunt in a state park but you have to tell them exactly what you are looking for (an item you lost while there) and the eaxact area you plan to look in as they give you only a small area to hunt for it.

Doing a little research will go a long way in protecting you, your equipment and your hobby.

What state do you live in? I can get answers real quick.

Coolwhips :cool:

Luke,

Search your local parks and wildlife website for answers.

Also. Here in texas, most of the lakes are owned and operated by the US Army Corps of Engineers. I suspect they are present in your state as well. Just about all lakes and parks surrounding them have some sort of influence from the corps. Since that's the case, I can hunt just about any lake. They recommend getting a permit but they never check it. A permit costs either nothing or 15$.

Some lakes around here also have state parks on them. These parks are owned and opertated by Texas Parks and Wildlife but the lake is operated by the Corps. This means I can approach the beach of a park by boat, stay in the water and hunt. Once I get on dry land, I am tresspassing on the Parks Dept. Metal detecting in state parks in Texas is forbidden and will cost you your tools if caught. You can get permission to hunt in a state park but you have to tell them exactly what you are looking for (an item you lost while there) and the eaxact area you plan to look in as they give you only a small area to hunt for it.

Doing a little research will go a long way in protecting you, your equipment and your hobby.

What state do you live in? I can get answers real quick.

Coolwhips :cool:

Thanks for the help, I live in Maine and i do know that 99% of lakes here are public so i guess the question is who manages the lakes?

Corps of Engineers

I used to work for the COE during the summers of 77 - 81. The rule book we used on those days was called "Title 36" (I think). I am fairly certain that if you will contact the Local project and ask them for their local rules, they will reply to you.
If this does not bring the desired result, You might try calling the project manager and setting up a friendly face to face.

If I remember the rules correctly, the COE can claim jurisdiction over any body of water that will float an 8 inch thick log DURING HIGH WATER. Over the last 2 decades, the COE has been trying to reduce thier involvement with the public on thier projects. Many public use areas have been closed and many people working in the parks are contractors or volunteers.

I encourage you to obtain and keep in your possesion any permission you might recieve.

Hope this helps.
John Morton

Back
Top Bottom