No Frills Detector for Salt Water Rock Beach

Sundragon

What are my best options for a no frills low budget machine for rocky and sandy beach here in SE Mass?

If you look at the video, the beach on the oceanside of the road used to have very large houses and hotels and stores, all of which were destroyed in the 38 hurricane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkfWy-_hCE

I live on the beach but don't do much beach hunting, I use my AT Pro primarily for inland hunting but would like to occasionally get down to the wet stuff.

Do the PI units work on tones like the AT?

I don't care much about VDI as I hunt with my ears.

Any help appreciated,

Capt. Vin

You can pick up a usedt PI machine for $3-400. Pi machines typically have only one tone. It is the same for gold as silver, coins, iron, etc. Disc doesn't really work unless you buy a $5k GPX. But, they are cheap and work very well in the salt water.

If you suspect a TON of old rusty metal you don't want to use a pi machine. As far as a no frills salt water tolerant vlf you're going to spend some decent money even used...

What are my best options for a no frills low budget machine for rocky and sandy beach here in SE Mass?

If you look at the video, the beach on the oceanside of the road used to have very large houses and hotels and stores, all of which were destroyed in the 38 hurricane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGkfWy-_hCE

I live on the beach but don't do much beach hunting, I use my AT Pro primarily for inland hunting but would like to occasionally get down to the wet stuff.

Do the PI units work on tones like the AT?

I don't care much about VDI as I hunt with my ears.

Any help appreciated,

Capt. Vin

Your beaches up there are pretty iron infested, plus lots of crab and lobster trap pieces out there.. a PI is the last detector you want to look at getting... I have hunted Westport Ma beaches... get yourself a a dual or multi-frequency detector made for saltwater hunting...

I was thinking the multi-Hz units would work well here, but didn't realize the PI units were so one dimensional.
We got lots of iron here.
Which make and models should I research.
I am pretty much a dumbass but any help appreciated.

I prefer the CZ21 in heavy iron compared to the excal/sovereign. Nulls make you miss targets.

CZ21 is my vote

Waterproof MF-VLF: minelab exacllibur and fisher cz21

Non-w/p MF-VLF:
Minelab: safari, sovereign, explorer, etrac, quattro, safari, and CTX3030
Whites: dfx, v3i
Fisher: CZ3d, cz7, cz7a, cz7apro, cz70

In turns of audio tones between the Excalibur ll and the CZ21, which one provides more complex tones? I am a musician and have good pitch and have been able to build a good image in my mind when I hunt with my AT Pro.
Also:

Aside from their bulkiness, how would these two units perform "In the field", as a compliment to my Pro?

In turns of audio tones between the Excalibur ll and the CZ21, which one provides more complex tones? I am a musician and have good pitch and have been able to build a good image in my mind when I hunt with my AT Pro.
Also:

Aside from their bulkiness, how would these two units perform "In the field", as a compliment to my Pro?

CZ only has 4 tones. High, Med, Low and bell tone for large targets.

You can hip mount the CZ and the rod and coil are very light.

I love the CZ and can pick great targets out of trash.

I don't use the Excal so I will pass on an answer.

I prefer the CZ21 in heavy iron compared to the excal/sovereign. Nulls make you miss targets.

CZ21 is my vote

You bring up an interesting thing worth discussing here.

How do you know you are not missing targets if you can't hear a null?

In other words, lots of so called "fast" machines miss all kinds of stuff because they don't have a threshold that the user can monitor.

At least with a lot of nulling it will make you slow down and really work the situation vs a machine that doesn't null... you will confidently walk over things you didn't know exist if your machine doesn't have a threshold null.

Most people hunt in all metal then switch to disc to check targets, on excal and cz. I know my cz is like 3 inches deeper in all metal.

I was thinking the multi-Hz units would work well here, but didn't realize the PI units were so one dimensional.
We got lots of iron here.
Which make and models should I research.
I am pretty much a dumbass but any help appreciated.

Pulse machines serve a purpose of getting the depth the dual/multi-frequency machines don't get... but they are for cleaner beaches devoid of heavy iron...

Everyone has their preferences... I prefer a multi-frequency machine like the Excalibur... You basically have few choices... the Fisher CZ21, Minelab Excalibur or Whites Beach HunterID which is also a dual frequency machine...

Back
Top Bottom