Found this at a yard sale

Steve77

Elite Member
Any help ID'ing this? So this must have a pretty specific purpose, and as a picker/treasure hunter I couldn't pass it up for $2. I am pretty sure it is valuable to the right person. It is marked "316", which I assume is the type of stainless steel it is made from.Another mark in the casting says "T10J48".
$5 bill for size reference.

G4xx8Ls.jpg

Oqwkt0Y.jpg

That was my 1st thought...

Boat drag anchor??

I know they make "mushroom" type anchors that kind of look like that.

It doesn't say how heavy it is but it could be used for something like that if it weighs enough. I doubt it was built like that for that purpose though.

Cliff

What did the people at the sale say it was? If they didn't know you should have got it cheap.

It was an estate sale. I got it with some other stuff for $2. Having been a picker for decades, I buy some things knowing nothing about them, but having a hunch that they must be specialized and worth money to the right person. I spent a while looking at mushroom anchors on google images and this is designed with far more complexity than an anchor should require. Also in fresh water, there wouldn't be much need for the added expense of stainless steel.

So, I did a little more inspection on this thing.

On the top of the casting where the horizontal bar passes through, there are hex head set screws.

Also the shaft is keywayed into the casting. Also there is a through hole on the opposite end that goes through the casting and the bar.

Also there are hundreds of dents and dings near the end with the through hole. It would appear that it has been struck with a hammer a LOT!

qmdc8WL.jpg

erCxes9.jpg

That's a good ID I think. With all that pitting, I'd guess some kind of really nasty, caustic fluid. any Chemical plants, refineries in the area. Maybe even a fertilizer manufacturer.

Back
Top Bottom