Unknown disk find

Barneymartin3

Here is a photo of a large disk I found several years ago. No markings but has a hole through the center and some straight lines on one side. I used the Morgan dollar for size comparison. The disk is actually a little thicker and larger than the dollar. It weighs 50.8 grams and is Non-magnetic. Any ideas what this could be?

Unknown item.jpg

Definitely not made of brass. Does not look like metal at all but it sure sounded off the detector. Kind looks like lead but as soft I'm not sure lead would look that color.

Lead could be scratched with a thumb tack, and would be shiny where you scratched it..

Other than that I don't have a clue..

<°)))>{

How about this, it’s a very old thrust washer. It has a hole in it to allow an little axle to spin, it has an oil groove to allow lube to flow, it has marks on it because it was part of a machine that was worked on. It held together some kind of bearings so it had to be made of a metal that would never rust. I think it came from some old intricate machine like a 1900’s sewing machine. My best guess.

Good theory Bank Fisher. I've tried to google this but unfortunately nothing comes up showing anything like this piece. I did find an interesting metal detecting web site that talked about old lead trade weights that look similar to this piece but none of them had a hole drilled through the center. But it could have been used as a weight or maybe a balancing disk in some contraption.

Back
Top Bottom