Second and Third time out with my MXT 1899 penny!

orange ss crush

Well I'm getting better at this - I am running into allot of trash but switched to relic mode as PhilB suggested and man can I weed out the trash! I still have not mastered nickles yet. I got my first one today!!! I have attached a pic and I was shooting along some railroad tracks in Staunton,IL on the north side of Highway 70 yesterday as a quick hunt and I freaked :shock: when I came across a wheatie and an older penny between the railroad ties on the railroad tracks! I think its rare but I will need a opinion on it. I would think 1899 is no big deal but I'm not an expert by any means. I kept thinking St. Louis World's fair 1904 and it's even before that! I seen that if you put it in a potatoe overnight it takes the gunk off and it really worked. ;) Enjoy !!!

Attachments

• IMG_1655.jpg
    IMG_1655.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_1662.jpg
    IMG_1662.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 463
  • IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_1664.jpg
    IMG_1664.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 488
Very nice finds Crush! Looks like you already have a knack for researching and sniffing out the good stuff! I look forward to our hunt tomorrow. HH!

Congrats! Looks like you are catching on really fast. Those are some super nice finds, especially for only 3 times out! Good luck to you guys tomorrow. :cool:

I can't believe you found an IH penny already.:lol: It took me over a year to find my first one. Congratulations! You are doing pretty well, especially for just starting with the MXT. It takes a while to get the hang of nickels. After your ears get trained you might notice a subtle difference in the pinpoint signal of a nickel vs trash signals the same VDI. The nickel just seems to pinpoint louder than a trash target the same depth. Getting out with other MDers more experienced will help a lot too, even if they use different machines. Especially if they let you check their deeper targets before they dig them. Anything to help shorten the learning curve.

I am still hurting from my arm - Boy that was alot of swinging! :lol: I really liked the Skeleton Key cause my wife used these alot overseas. She was tickled when I showed it to her.
I see it didnt take you long to find somethimg good with the MXT. Good find!!!

I was almost to your neck of the woods Diggler but they are sending me to Houston instead. I did plea to go to Dallas and send my other tech to San Antonio but it fell on deaf ears! Darn! I may get a few hours free I am wondering if I should tote my MD with me and hit the coast of Galviston, TX for a little time? :?:

Congrats! Looks like you are catching on really fast. Those are some super nice finds, especially for only 3 times out! Good luck to you guys tomorrow. :cool:

Phil my friend isn't that funny! I didn't realize I had that old of a coin till I got home. I seen the 1989 and I am so green I thought what country has a Indian on front with 1989 then I flipped it over and said oops! Its 1889 ! I shouldn't admit my stupidity but hey I got to be honest.:lol: How was the big get together? I hope it went well. Me and DDigger here in Belleville are going to meet up tomorrow and see what we can do.SO that's the trick too the nickle will throw out a diffrent tone? Hummmm Here I go again. :D
I can't believe you found an IH penny already.:lol: It took me over a year to find my first one. Congratulations! You are doing pretty well, especially for just starting with the MXT. It takes a while to get the hang of nickels. After your ears get trained you might notice a subtle difference in the pinpoint signal of a nickel vs trash signals the same VDI. The nickel just seems to pinpoint louder than a trash target the same depth. Getting out with other MDers more experienced will help a lot too, even if they use different machines. Especially if they let you check their deeper targets before they dig them. Anything to help shorten the learning curve.

I wish you took a before pic of the Indian Head I found two that look like complete crap, I would have liked to have seen how much the potato really took off of it. You're doing great so far man, awesome job!

It was completely black and after I removed it from the potato is was copper color again with a little staining - Potato was black and had the imprint on it.

I wish you took a before pic of the Indian Head I found two that look like complete crap, I would have liked to have seen how much the potato really took off of it. You're doing great so far man, awesome job!

Really cool, you found all the different pennies for the last 100+ years. IH, Wheat, Memorial, and a Log Cabin :waytogo:

I was almost to your neck of the woods Diggler but they are sending me to Houston instead. I did plea to go to Dallas and send my other tech to San Antonio but it fell on deaf ears! Darn! I may get a few hours free I am wondering if I should tote my MD with me and hit the coast of Galviston, TX for a little time? :?:

Probably do better at a historic lawn in town than at the beach. If you do score a lawn watch your back. :shock:

Your right but during penny poker last night I came across a new one of Lincoln sitting on a log. 2009 but I was looking at it real close and everyone around the table started laughing. It looks like Lincoln taking a rest on a log with a MD resting on it! :lol: Check it out.

Really cool, you found all the different pennies for the last 100+ years. IH, Wheat, Memorial, and a Log Cabin :waytogo:

Back
Top Bottom