A couple of firsts...updated

jl1252

Elite Member
While making my rounds at my local parks today I decided to use the 6" DD 18.75khz coil to get into some hard to reach spots and at filter through the trash.

At park #1, I was working a small patch of grass under a big tree that borders on an alley that backs up to a row of houses that are from the turn of the century. The alley is marked on several historical maps. A few minutes in, I got an ordinary nickel signal. As I cut the plug I was hit hard packed gravel with my digger at 3-4". When I flipped the plug I saw the nickel drop into the hole. When I pulled it out I knew it was a V. 1901. Its pretty worn down, and has turned rust colored from a century of fertilizer, but I will take it.

Moved onto park #2. I swung past the base of a huge pine tree in the middle of the park. I know I've swept over this area in the past, but got a nice repeatable high tone. I cut the plug and was thinking clad quarter. I checked the hole with the pinpointer and nothing. Probed the plug and found it about 4-5" from the top. Last year silver rosie, 1964 D.

I'm very excited that I get to check off two minor bucketlisters in one day. Thanks for looking.

Went back out yesterday to a different park and scored another first...my first buffalo. No date, but I will take it. Found it on a small hill under about 6" of pine needles. It was in rough shape so I used a little Barkeeper's Friend and my thumb to take a few layers of pine tar and gunk off.

Attachments

• '64 D Rosie.jpg
    '64 D Rosie.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 281
  • 1901 V Nickel.jpg
    1901 V Nickel.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_20180217_202359.jpg
    IMG_20180217_202359.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
While making my rounds at my local parks today I decided to use the 6" DD 18.75khz coil to get into some hard to reach spots and at filter through the trash.

At park #1, I was working a small patch of grass under a big tree that borders on an alley that backs up to a row of houses that are from the turn of the century. The alley is marked on several historical maps. A few minutes in, I got an ordinary nickel signal. As I cut the plug I was hit hard packed gravel with my digger at 3-4". When I flipped the plug I saw the nickel drop into the hole. When I pulled it out I knew it was a V. 1901. Its pretty worn down, and has turned rust colored from a century of fertilizer, but I will take it.

Moved onto park #2. I swung past the base of a huge pine tree in the middle of the park. I know I've swept over this area in the past, but got a nice repeatable high tone. I cut the plug and was thinking clad quarter. I checked the hole with the pinpointer and nothing. Probed the plug and found it about 4-5" from the top. Last year silver rosie, 1964 D.

I'm very excited that I get to check off two minor bucketlisters in one day. Thanks for looking.

Nice..by the way our nine year old puppy was adopted from grass valley, were three thousand miles away now:yes:

Thanks. Small world...is it the pup in your avatar?

Yes, that's jessie she is nine now. She was eight months at the time. Some kids found her down by the river when she was a puppy. They took her to a cat rescue where they raise her to eight months.
:yes:

Back
Top Bottom