Gold buyer place doesn't know gold?

MurdochBaines

Ok....so I feel a bit naughty posting this but you are the folks that will appreciate it most. Last MD season I had 2 rings; both were clearly gold plated. I am usually overly investigative when it comes to my ring finds so I put a file to both of them (don't worry...both were crusty). When I filed into it I found that the layer under the "gold" was copper colored -- an obvious sign of plating. To be safe I brought them both to my local jeweler. They agreed that they were plated. Now for the fun part......Just for the heck of it I walked across the street to the gold buyer and she assessed them both at 10k gold! She didn't even look for a markings. They totaled about $70. I don't know how to feel....:no::?::?:

Last edited:
Thats not cool, those people at the gold buying places are good, honest hardworking.......... just kidding, Awesome! they rip off so many people every day, it's good they got theirs. The lady who bought the plated rings was clearly careless and their mistake is your gain. Be stoked Brother! Just my opinion though. :D:D:D:D:D

That is so wrong.. You should have asked for $80.

What comes around goes around... They have been robbing people for years!

Feel like you offered an item, and she bought it. That's her problem considering how easy it is to test gold!

Last edited:
What comes around goes around... They're been robbing people for years!

Feel like you offered an item, and she bought it. That's her problem considering how easy it is to test gold!

Since the first time early hominid picked a gold nugget out of a stream, people have been getting the shaft... Good for you Senor Baines!

Am I the only one that thinks this is wrong? If they sold you two rings they said were gold and they weren't, is that cool? It works both ways. When you sell your gold to a place like that nobody is forcing you to accept their offer so the 'they've ripped people off for years' doesn't fly with me. I can't believe you came here on the forum and openly admitted you ripped someone off. Not cool!

Just because it is caveat emptor, does not mean what happened was morally correct. You have to live with yourself on this one, IMO.

And you missed your real chance to help someone! The old guy who got gypped....you should have asked him his name and telephone number and talked to him later to find out if he had other silver coins....and make him a better offer than the Gold Buyer.

I went in to a pawn shop the other day and asked if the had any coins. (I am always looking for silver at a cheap price.) The guy said no but he laughed and said he had something to show me. Seems one of his people had been approached by a guy who had about 25 nickels dated pre-1964. The buyer thought, "Hey! That makes em silver!" He baught them for about .50 each thinking they were worth about well over a dollar. When the boss came in and heard the exciting news he said he nearly blew a gasket! LOL Talk about a win win situation for the seller! He got a .45 profit per piece AND scored a victory for the guys who usually get ripped off by pawn shops! :laughing:

You just scored another one in a different setting!

Back
Top Bottom