who is now using the Simplex+ ?

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Anyone using a Simplex+ now? If so what are your observations so far?

In a previous post I stated that I was considering selling my Nox 800 and buying another simpler detector. Well I decided to keep my 800 and buy a Simplex+.

someone said wait till the Vanquish is available in the US.

The main reason I would not buy the Vanquish is the 40 notch/VDI spread on the Vanquish like the 800.

I came from using the AT Pro for 3 years and really like the 99 notch spread especially when compared to the 40 notch VDI.

I know, most of you will say just listen to the audio. Well I have some mild hearing problems and like to confirm with an accurate VDI reading.

Another reason, is cost. I want a good but not so costly detector I can leave in my car. I am out and about daily and often see some good sites that I could just stop and detect for an hour or so. I won't leave my 800 in the car, too expensive to lose.

Plus it seems like it will be a nice second detector from a fine company. I don't worry about politics messing things up. You cannot go on living your every day life worrying about one party or the other. It will drive you crazy.

So I see a Simplex+ in my near future and look forward to learning and using it.

Today I received my simplex and took it to two parks..I won’t go into what’s already been out there and I don’t hold any value to coin gardens,mine is for my amusement only.
First I hit a area of one park that I hit 5 years ago and never went back to,,Well now I know why..There were industrial buildings there,and lots of big flat iron in the ground.I'm talking 4 x8 inch pieces weighing a pound or better and so far corroded it’s hard to make out what they were.but the simplex was banging hard on them with solid 95,96 readings,at a foot or more down..After an hour there and 7 or so dug I left.
I went to my favorite park where I found lots of old coins,and a 1823 LC a week or 2 ago.
I started in field,sens maxed and no other changes made..Found some coins,some little pieces of can slaw not in the pic.It was too busy in field mode and I’m not sure how to notch yet so I just flipped to park mode with tones.
This machine is deep in park..Maybe not as deep in field mode,but it’s no slouch in park mode.Dug a lot of coins at easily 7 to 8 inches with consistent ID and tone.It hits quarters hard at 92 ID,and even at depth the visual on quarters is rock solid.
Just my opinion but having run the kruzer I’d say the dna of the simplex is all kruzer,with the frequency at 12..I’m not a tweaker and honestly I’d grab this simplex over a kruzer any day for that reason.
It is a excellent running machine,very little feedback from the ground ,and no mistaking a good target from anything else.If the ID is jumpy it’s definitely not a coin.Jewlery hunters might wanna investigate tho,odd shapes does make the numbers jump a little.
The fold down shaft should be on every machine coming out,it just makes transporting it a breeze..no difference from the deus,even with the coil cable it’s very easy to fold and unfold in seconds.
Weight wise it’s light and balanced,I didnt even use the arm strap which I Always do with all machines.Its not as light as a f19,,,but it’s pretty light or better balanced compared to a lot of others on the market.
I am not a fan of the kruzer audio.And although this sounds like the kruzer somthing about it doesn’t bother me.Maybe it’s the fact that it’s so much fun at such a cheap price,I don’t know but I really think it’s a great machine for the money..Here’s the thing that I try to explain to people,I can take a $250 machne(I didn’t get the wireless) and find just as many coins and have just as much fun as I can with a more expensive machine..Maybe Nothing was older than a wheat today but I’ve struck out many days with a $1500 Etrac too.
If anyone is on the fence about this machine,I’d say go for it.Its cheap,performance is good,weight is good,ID is good and Makro has one of the best customer services out there.It doesn’t have all the tweaking options of your $500 + machines but it will get the job done.
One thing I forgot,is the simplex hits hard on tiny bits of can slaw,and they read in the foil range around 17 to 20 which is right where they should..If somone was looking for micro jewlery it’s a good machine for that also,and the ID is really good so you could pass it up if you chose..

Attachments

• 9E2E3A4E-8DBE-47BD-B9F6-9F3A199F90A5.jpg
    9E2E3A4E-8DBE-47BD-B9F6-9F3A199F90A5.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 2,082
Great write-up woodbutcher. Thanks for all of the details about the Simplex. Hope you will give more info later.

Maxxkatt, I'm pretty sure that the Simplex hand grip can be set to vibrate over targets. I don't know if you can have vibrate and tones at the same time but anyone with some high pitch or low pitch hearing loss could benefit from that feature.

Jeff

Last edited:
I haven't bought one but it really does look to be a decent rig for incredibly low moolah. I will probably try one too but with winter coming I will wait till spring and spend some time reading the numerous reviews that come out. I really like my Equinox and the multi I.Q tech. but I don't see the advantage of the Vanquish, For $150 more you can get the Multi I.Q in a waterproof rig with the Nox 600. Even if you only ever used it for the times it may rain it would be worth the extra $150.

I will try to do some more fiddling tomorrow with the vibration and tones,see what happens.Im not insinuating this simplex will replace anything or is better than any other machine..I’m saying it’s good,and I don’t think I ever thought for one minute today I wish I had this machine or that machine,,the simplex was simply plucking coins out of the ground at depth with hard hits and great ID.Couldnt ask for more at the price,and it’s waterproof which is cool.
Tommorow I'm gonna plug my kruzer coil into the simplex just to see if it works

Last edited:
I took mine out for the first time today to a small park. The ergonomics are good, I swung it for over 3 hours straight and my arm/wrist never got fatigued. I'm kinda tall at 6' 2" and the shaft extends out far enough for me. The headphones sound good and are comfortable for my big head. It's a little front heavy due to the larger coil but not cumbersome or awkward.

I didn't think I was going to like the 2 tone vco sound in park mode but I quickly started getting used to it. It's a little sparky/chatty with the sensitivity set on high but my T2 is the same way so I'm used to it. I did experience a little EMI near the power lines but it was not bad at all. It did well on small targets. It was picking up some very small pieces of shredded copper and aluminum that were in the ground - some as small as a pencil erasure. Some pieces were so small that I had trouble finding them with the pin-pointer - I was impressed by that. Target pinpointing is very accurate. Target ID was solid, it was easy to tell when you have a coin versus trash based on the VDI & tone. The targets were fairly spread out at this park so I didn't get to test how well it separates through trash yet, but I suspect it will do fairly well at that.

I dug a lot of clad, can slaw and assorted bottle caps & pull tabs -- the usual park junk.

VDI numbers in my soil:
Zinc pennies: 66-67
Copper pennies: 76-77
Nickles: 24-25 (it really likes the nickles - I found three and they were banging signals)
Clad dimes: 78-80
Clad quarters: 90-91
Silver quarters: 93-95 in air test.
Crusty IHP's (the only kind I have): 62-63 in air test.
Twist off bottle caps: 50's to 90's - The numbers were all over the place depending on manufacture but none sounded clean like a coin - scratchy & jumpy.
Old school Beaver tail pull tabs: 33-34
Modern pull tabs (the kind that are supposed to stay on the can but everybody pulls off! ??): 25 - solid nickle signal.....
Screw on Aluminum bottle caps: 61-63
Aluminum cans: upper 70's (just like copper pennies and clad dimes)

Last edited:
Thanks for posting estima8tor,I was hoping somone else would..I took mine out also today a few times,and just got in..
First thing I need to find new sites..Not fair to keep pounding the same places and expect the machine to make miraculous finds.
I agree,pinpointing is spot on.i do the pinpoint pullback and the signal totally disappears when it’s in front of the coil,it’s there and then just blank,no sound.The target has always been in front of the coil.
It’s deep,deeper than I care to dig.Nothing major found but it had me chase a lighter wheel a good 8 inches today with solid audio.
I don’t like the pinpoint button,I’ve shut the machine off several times today.Im usto the pinpoint button in the center,not on the side.but that’s just personal preference.
I’m not a relic hunter but this would make a great excellent field machine. Its not too shabby on the weight or balance although I did feel the pull today on the front end from the coil as estima8tor said,,but I shortened the shaft a bit and it helped.
I had some feedback from my Garrett Carrot that was pretty severe today,I tried the frequency shift and it didn’t help..Yesterday I had no problems,maybe it was the area..As for Emi,I noticed the machine was a little chatty when I had it still today at full sens but once I swung it that went away..I tried the frequency shift there also and it didn’t help when the machine was still..no big deal tho,it wasn’t bad at all,just a little feedback at full sense when the coil wasnt moving.
As far as this machine replacing your nox I think you nox guys are ok in that scenario :laughing:
It’s a pretty good machine if you like the audio of the kruzer in 3 tone..In 3 tone deeper targets sounds stretched if you know what I mean.It didn’t bother me yesterday but it kinda got on my nerves today..I like 2 tone,but it’s not realistic for park hunting.
Oh,and notch..I notched everything but nickels and 70 and up..not good in my opinion,the targets that came through sounded clipped..the xterra 705 was the same with heavy notch,good targets sounded clipped,but jump to all metal and the xterrra sounded off great..same with the simplex,switch to 2 tone and good targets stood out but in 3 tone with heavy notches they sounded clipped..Lots of machines don't do well with notch though, not a bad thing for the simplex.

Last edited:
One thing I like in the Simplex is the Threshold in the All Metal mode. It reminds me of my Excal. Very soothing.
The speed in which it returns to the detecting mode is a bit fast when navigating the menus but I'll get better at it with more time on the machine.

I was in the backyard testing it out over targets with no headphones and all of a sudden the volume goes silent. Then it comes back on again. it did this several times while I was swinging over a 14k gold wedding band. First it was on then it was off. I thought WTHeck?

So leaving the Simplex on, I went back into the house only to find I had forgotten to shut off the wireless headphones and they were causing the detector to link up and go silent out in the yard. :lol:
Live and learn.

There's some good user videos coming out now, it certainly doesn't lack depth in good soil and if your after the easy solo sitting targets as most beginner's are, it will find them.
But on hunted out ground with all the easy targets already gone, I'd say it's going to struggle.
Have a look at the 7min mark, it struggles bad on the surface gold ring vs nail, if the Vanquish is using the same multi IQ as the Nox it will be a screamer!
https://youtu.be/_ASvc5fyIs4

Woodbutcher makes a good point about the pinpoint button. It's awkward to use and I too turned my machine off by accident a couple of times.

I bought one, for my wife. Yep that's my story, I bought it for her. I had issues upgrading the firmware, but it could be chalked up to operator error. Found a fireplace poker finial in my front yard that my other machine had missed.

Ordered my Simplex+ today and it will arrive this Thur

Pulled the trigger after I found out that the lower priced Simplex+ model Simplex+ will handle the Nokta Green wireless earphones that I can buy at a later date.

This will be the detector that I keep in my SUV. Folding feature is nice, I can put in in the back with my dog crate is. It is limited space. Don't like to keep my 800 on the floor in the middle seats where my two grandsons would most likely stomp on it. Don't mind carrying my 30" Lesche shovel there, they cannot hurt that sucker.

Almost every time I am in the car running errands I see plots of land for sale where you can see the several big old oak trees and a space for an old house and an old drive way and a realtor sign. Those are so easy to detect when you find them if you have a detector with you. Don't wish to keep my 800 in the car for break in reasons that happen in North Atlanta rather often.

I am expecting my learning curve on the Simplex+ to be a lot shorter than on the 800. How ever learning the 800 taught me a whole bunch of new info on detecting theory in general.

There's some good user videos coming out now, it certainly doesn't lack depth in good soil and if your after the easy solo sitting targets as most beginner's are, it will find them.
But on hunted out ground with all the easy targets already gone, I'd say it's going to struggle.
Have a look at the 7min mark, it struggles bad on the surface gold ring vs nail, if the Vanquish is using the same multi IQ as the Nox it will be a screamer!
https://youtu.be/_ASvc5fyIs4

Don't put much stock in these controlled test..I can show you one were a tesoro mojave spanked a equinox 800..And I know the equinox is a better overall machine than the Mojave,so if I chose a machine just from that test I’d be crazy...Real world results is were it's at, controlled test are just that, hypothetical

Last edited:
Anyone using a Simplex+ now? If so what are your observations so far?

I don't have Simplex but have been looking at buying one to keep in the car as it is not a super big loss if stolen because of the price but here in Texas in summer the car gets really hot and keeping batteries in the car in that heat is doable sort of but not really a good thing for the batteries. I just learned this not too long ago because I installed dash cams in my vehicles. They don't use a battery because temps in the cars are are too high. They connect to the vehicle battery for power and have capacitors in them to store charge.
My observation is that the Simplex battery is not removable and that kinda shoots it down for a leave in the car detector in the summer in Texas. One thing I like about my AT PRO is I can remove the batteries and bring them inside with me on the hot days real easy which I did this last summer but I would have a heart attack if my beloved AT PRO got stolen.
Is the Simplex battery really not removable?

I don't have Simplex but have been looking at buying one to keep in the car as it is not a super big loss if stolen because of the price but here in Texas in summer the car gets really hot and keeping batteries in the car in that heat is doable sort of but not really a good thing for the batteries. I just learned this not too long ago because I installed dash cams in my vehicles. They don't use a battery because temps in the cars are are too high. They connect to the vehicle battery for power and have capacitors in them to store charge.
My observation is that the Simplex battery is not removable and that kinda shoots it down for a leave in the car detector in the summer in Texas. One thing I like about my AT PRO is I can remove the batteries and bring them inside with me on the hot days real easy which I did this last summer but I would have a heart attack if my beloved AT PRO got stolen.

I would be worried about the extreme heat affecting it's function and waterproof capability, maybe it doesn't Idk but I never leave my detector in the car during the summer.

I would be worried about the extreme heat affecting it's function and waterproof capability, maybe it doesn't Idk but I never leave my detector in the car during the summer.

Yup. Valid concerns for sure. So far so good, it survived this past summer-- we will see how it goes. Sure is nice to be able to swing the coil a bit while waiting for wifey to finish up with work on her late days. I keep the detector covered in a blanket, not only to hide it from prying eyes but to keep direct sunlight off of it. If I know I'm not going to have an opportunity to detect then it stays home.
If I could not take the battery out it would never get left in a hot car. Too bad about the Simplex as that removes it from consideration. Maybe I should get a used ATPRO for backup, I am increasingly amazed with it the more I use it. Great machine.

In Atlanta we get average summer temps in probably mid 90's. Can leave the windows cracked and park in shade. The high temp spec I read somewhere was 140 degrees F. So should not be a problem.

Southerners sit back and read the reviews for months before we pull the trigger.I never leave a detector in my truck in mid summer, Louisiana heat is no joke.

Back
Top Bottom