Made up my mind

Haha, nice (and brave) of you to share! To me, it's just like cars. There isn't one correct one for everyone. Some need wagons while others demand trucks. Some folks want gas savers and others don't care and go for it with SUVs or muscle cars. In the end, they'll all get you from one point to another, but all have different functions, capabilities, feels, quality, et cetera. I'll take an '80s Detroit luxury car, white on white with spokes, before I'd take most muscle cars. That most definitely isn’t for everyone. :D

Can someone explain the "better at nickels" thing with the Nox? I am a newb in my first year detecting and been using the AT Pro all this time. I dug 22 nickels this past saturday. My AT Pro lights them up! Solid 50/51 is a nickel, guaranteed! I don't know how it could get any better, I don't think I'm missing any of them but then I'm a newb and get my butt handed to me regularly :-)

Hmmm, now I am thinking (yeah I know, bad idea) maybe it's deep nickels where the nox does better?

I have an AT Pro and a Nox 800. If I'm in an area where there's not much trash and come across a nickel, it won't make much difference which detector since I'm going to hear the target and check the numbers with either one.

But, take both to a place with coins and dense mid-tone trash. When I say "dense" I mean 5 or so mid tone signals in every swing plus the usual background of iron. By audio only on the AT pro, multiple signals on every swing will sound like a potential nickel so you're constantly having to look at the screen as it scans to see that solid 50/51.

With the Nox 800 I can scan that dense trash and pick out the nickels by ear, and the huge easy to read screen is just there if and when I want to confirm. That's because I can set up the tone bin pitch and volume to hit on 12/13 (solid nickel VDI) while still hearing the adjacent tones, only at a lower pitch and volume. That's faster and I'll dig less trash along the way.

I've also been in areas where the mid tone trash was so dense that the AT pro was overwhelmed and wouldn't recover fast enough to give audio and and numbers for each target, but the Equinox on a fast recovery speed would process each target distinctly. That situation was actually what let me to buy the Equinox.

I have an AT Pro and a Nox 800. If I'm in an area where there's not much trash and come across a nickel, it won't make much difference which detector since I'm going to hear the target and check the numbers with either one.

But, take both to a place with coins and dense mid-tone trash. When I say "dense" I mean 5 or so mid tone signals in every swing plus the usual background of iron. By audio only on the AT pro, multiple signals on every swing will sound like a potential nickel so you're constantly having to look at the screen as it scans to see that solid 50/51.

With the Nox 800 I can scan that dense trash and pick out the nickels by ear, and the huge easy to read screen is just there if and when I want to confirm. That's because I can set up the tone bin pitch and volume to hit on 12/13 (solid nickel VDI) while still hearing the adjacent tones, only at a lower pitch and volume. That's faster and I'll dig less trash along the way.

I've also been in areas where the mid tone trash was so dense that the AT pro was overwhelmed and wouldn't recover fast enough to give audio and and numbers for each target, but the Equinox on a fast recovery speed would process each target distinctly. That situation was actually what let me to buy the Equinox.

Yep the Equinox is great in trash!

I made up my mind too.
When I see folks selling detectors with protective covering still on and later giving remarks as to the true detector performance I wonder if they even operated enough to render a fair and accurate assessment.

Like they knew they were going to sell hence leave film on screen.

Ok,let’s just assume your talking about me because we know you are..No sense in taking the factory film off the screen if you don’t hafto,I mean why would you? Unless your not smart enough to know what the icons mean,then you’d need to have the Minelab English screen saver put on..pick your poison.
I get it and so does everyone else,your in love with the equinox..That’s great! Really,I think that’s cool.But does that mean that you hafto say what you say,and no one else has a say in what they think?
Honestly I said nothing wrong here,so why are you sectioning me out? And it’s not the first time either,you constantly do it..I have no problems with you tnsharpshooter,not sure I’m seeing that back.Im in this for fun,that’s it .
My opinion on the equinox 800 is it’s a great machine.But I look at it different from you since it’s not my (favorite) machine..no harm there.

Just received my Simplex+.

so far it is what I expected. Easier to use than the nox 800, somewhat like the AT Pro I had for 3 years. Used my nox 800 since March 2018 so I know its good points and other areas I don't care for. especially the compressed 0-39 digital ID.

Simplex+.

easy to learn, durable shaft, good 0-99 digital display.

bottle caps are easy to ID if you switch to the beach mode and do a toe wiggle and you will see the numbers drop but only coins they stay the same.

very easy to set discrim for an effective coin cherry picking program.

so far, very happy.

I will keep the 800 and see which I use the most which means which is best for me, not anyone else.

But the true test will be to take it to some areas that are difficult even for the 800 and see if the Simplex+ is up to the task.

I started out with and am still using a machine that the manufacturer quit producing six months after I made the purchase It was a tones only machine and to my untrained ears it was speaking a foreign language that I did not understand. I got so frustrated that I more than one time looked for a sturdy tree to wrap it around. Thankfully due to the cost I resisted. In time I started understanding the language it was speaking and now when it speaks I dig

It took me quite some time to come to appreciate the machine. I suspect that a lot of newer machines that one sees on the market are there because folks got frustrated with them because they did not fully understand the machine.

I don't believe that using a machine two or three months gives the machine enough time to teach you what it is trying to tell you.

I had my 800 setup the same way and the nickels I've dug were never a solid 12 or 13, they always bounced Between those numbers.Not a bad thing, just how it was..problem is I've dug a ton of square tabs they read 12, 13. The same as a nickel...Ive dug alot of things with the nox that read a 12, 13 just like a nickel that wasnt a nickel..I don't think you can call the nox a better nickel machine than the at pro, not for ID in trashy areas anyway, at pro is much better at separating square tabs, pull tabs and junk from a nickel as far as visual ID goes

Last edited:
I made up my mind too.

When I see folks selling detectors with protective covering still on and later giving remarks as to the true detector performance I wonder if they even operated enough to render a fair and accurate assessment.

Like they knew they were going to sell hence leave film on screen.
This is so true. Most people that ditch a detector within the first year never really learn to use it. Heck I will be the first one to admit that I didnt use my ctx3030 enough to truly unlock its potential in the 2 years I owned it. The 800 was just as deep and 100 times easier to learn and use so I sold the ctx. I also firmly believe that anyone who still claims the atpro does anything better than an equinox needs their head examined lol. I used my atpro nearly every day for 4 years and feel like I mastered that machine. I absolutely loved it. It took me about 3 hunts to realize the nox 800 was superior and I sold the at pro. I have not regretted that for one minute. All of my finds from silver coins to jewelry have increased significantly since switching machines. Not all of that is due to the machine but the performance difference has been a big part of that success.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Well, I'm convinced. For those and many other reasons I ordered a new Nox 800 today. Should have it in hand by Monday. :D

Ok,let’s just assume your talking about me because we know you are..No sense in taking the factory film off the screen if you don’t hafto,I mean why would you? Unless your not smart enough to know what the icons mean,then you’d need to have the Minelab English screen saver put on..pick your poison.
I get it and so does everyone else,your in love with the equinox..That’s great! Really,I think that’s cool.But does that mean that you hafto say what you say,and no one else has a say in what they think?
Honestly I said nothing wrong here,so why are you sectioning me out? And it’s not the first time either,you constantly do it..I have no problems with you tnsharpshooter,not sure I’m seeing that back.Im in this for fun,that’s it .
My opinion on the equinox 800 is it’s a great machine.But I look at it different from you since it’s not my (favorite) machine..no harm there.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=278791

I had my 800 setup the same way and the nickels I've dug were never a solid 12 or 13, they always bounced Between those numbers.Not a bad thing, just how it was..problem is I've dug a ton of square tabs they read 12, 13. The same as a nickel...Ive dug alot of things with the nox that read a 12, 13 just like a nickel that wasnt a nickel..I don't think you can call the nox a better nickel machine than the at pro, not for ID in trashy areas anyway, at pro is much better at separating square tabs, pull tabs and junk from a nickel as far as visual ID goes

I agree woodb, that's why I love my pro for cherry picking nickels and gold!

Have been using the nox800 for a month now and I am seeing this very thing and agree.
Also---SEEMS like I dig more trash with the nox...but I dug alot with the ATPRO too.
SEEMS to be deeper than the ATPRO, like very noticeably deeper, better bring something other than a hand digger tool. Sometimes the ATPRO would hit deep stuff but the nox hits deep stuff all the time.
SEEMS to miss less coins than the ATPRO. The school yard and park behind my house is like new ground. Been over it all with the ATPRO and thought it was like a desert....but the nox is finding coins everywhere. Crazy. Honestly it could be poor gridding discipline but I dunno...yet.
At a different and older park I had a good long walk back to the truck and decided to check out all of the nox detect modes on the way. Wow man neva heard so much different sounds...ha ha dang man like !!!?
It's been frustrating being at the bottom of the learning curve again after just beginning to get semi-competent with the ATPRO but I've seen enough that I'm determined to learn this thing. Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

I have been using a Nox 600 and a Nox 800 for almost 2 years. I have seen some numerical target ID charts for US coins (not from Minelab) with single numbers corresponding to all of the coins. I have NEVER seen that in the field on single buried coins. I have occasionally seen it when a US clad coin was laying flat on top of the ground and that is with almost 2000 hours on these detectors. We don't have any current clad coins with just one ingredient. They are all a mixture and most are plated. So the Nox using simultaneous multi frequencies is going to respond to the copper and the nickel in our nickels and the disintegrating copper plating and zinc in our zincolns, etc. That is just reality. I have learned to trust the consistency within the alternating 12/13 of most nickels and the 28/31 of clad quarters for example. The only US clad coins that have given me solid single digits are on top of the ground or are multiple same denomination coins stuck together in the ground. Our friends up in Canada have it much worse with their modern, mostly steel currency.

Minelab designed the Equinox for world wide use, so the buttons aren't labeled and you get all of those multi-language screen protectors. They certainly didn't design it just for us so it would give single number responses on US coins. The Nox will give single numbers on solid lead, copper, sterling silver and 14K gold or higher and probably some other stuff I can't remember but not US clad......

I have dug 13" nickels that read 12/13 and 11" dimes that read 24/26. That is pretty good especially in bad mineralization. My other detectors might hit those targets but they won't identify them........Maybe that is one reason why some people say the Nox is good on nickels (and other coins too!)

Jeff

Last edited:
I have been using a Nox 600 and a Nox 800 for almost 2 years. I have seen some numerical target ID charts for US coins (not from Minelab) with single numbers corresponding to all of the coins. I have NEVER seen that in the field on single buried coins. I have occasionally seen it when a US clad coin was laying flat on top of the ground and that is with almost 2000 hours on these detectors. We don't have any current clad coins with just one ingredient. They are all a mixture and most are plated. So the Nox using simultaneous multi frequencies is going to respond to the copper and the nickel in our nickels and the disintegrating copper plating and zinc in our zincolns, etc. That is just reality. I have learned to trust the consistency within the alternating 12/13 of most nickels and the 28/31 of clad quarters for example. The only US clad coins that have given me solid single digits are on top of the ground or are multiple same denomination coins stuck together in the ground. Our friends up in Canada have it much worse with their modern, mostly steel currency.

Minelab designed the Equinox for world wide use, so the buttons aren't labeled and you get all of those multi-language screen protectors. They certainly didn't design it just for us so it would give single number responses on US coins. The Nox will give single numbers on solid lead, copper, sterling silver and 14K gold or higher and probably some other stuff I can't remember but not US clad......

I have dug 13" nickels that read 12/13 and 11" dimes that read 24/26. That is pretty good especially in bad mineralization. My other detectors might hit those targets but they won't identify them........Maybe that is one reason why some people say the Nox is good on nickels (and other coins too!)

Jeff

I think the nox is one of the best high conductive coin machines in trash ....i could pick coins out with no problem at all with the speed and the sound..I just found the ID on zinc pennies especially to be all over the place, 20, 23 25 ...
If I was into just digging all coins( which I should be anyway) I would get a 600 and be done with it..Because when that machine sounds off on a higher conductor Coin it's always a higher conductor coin..Just which coin is a mystery, at least to me.
There is no perfect machine, and some excell at certain things better than others.To me the nox excell at depth and unmasking..But for ID it's the At pro, not as fast or as deep as the nox but better visual ID.
It's always a trade off , I just wish somone would take the best from each machine and put everyone outta buisness.

I think the nox is one of the best high conductive coin machines in trash ....i could pick coins out with no problem at all with the speed and the sound..I just found the ID on zinc pennies especially to be all over the place, 20, 23 25 ...
If I was into just digging all coins( which I should be anyway) I would get a 600 and be done with it..Because when that machine sounds off on a higher conductor Coin it's always a higher conductor coin..Just which coin is a mystery, at least to me.
There is no perfect machine, and some excell at certain things better than others.To me the nox excell at depth and unmasking..But for ID it's the At pro, not as fast or as deep as the nox but better visual ID.
It's always a trade off , I just wish somone would take the best from each machine and put everyone outta buisness.

I like how the stinking zincoln vdi is all over so I won't dig it.👍 On the Equinox.

To me the nox excell at depth and unmasking..But for ID it's the At pro, not as fast or as deep as the nox but better visual ID.
It's always a trade off
Just thinking out loud here,
Is the Nox as good at ID'ing the shallower coins that the AT Pro hits on?
Perhaps a few of the reasons why the Nox is giving more jumpy ID is because they may be deeper on fringe of detection, coins on edge, maybe co located with iron and you don't realise as you have iron tone off. Perhaps your in a site that's hunted out and these more challenged targets are all that is left because the AT Pro couldn't hit them as they were too deep or it didn't ID them as good targets so they were ignored?

Hunted out sites is where i find the Nox shines, though there's rarely a straight forward textbook signal as they were already picked up by every other detector i used before hand, but the Nox is finding more/enough positives in the remaining targets to give me a dig signal.

Back
Top Bottom