What do you Guys think what the coins in the ground do when the ground freezes...

TN_INDIAN

Forum Supporter
Have read somewhere that objects and coins in the ground move closer to the surface after a good freeze. What do you guys think?

I think the silvers don sweaters and hoodies to keep warm when the ground freezes:laughing:...Coins move up and down in the ground with freeze and thaw cycles, that much I believe...

" What do you Guys think what the coins in the ground do when the ground freezes... "

I cant guarantee it but I'm pretty sure that they freeze too.

Seriously though, I can't imagine that the move very much. They would move at the same rate as the soil that is surrounding them.

I doubt they move at all unless they're shallow. Even when we get deep freezes like we are now in MA, the ground only ever freezes 4-5 inches most. It's still soft dirt below the 6 inch mark where most of our silver is.

Ha you guys had fun with this one lol. But there is people that think big rocks and objects in the ground only goes up not down in the ground.

Pounded 4" today of frozen ground with my Samson for a lone memorial.:lol:

Pounded 4" today of frozen ground with my Samson for a lone memorial.:lol:

You dont have any woods to hunt. Heard its not frozen there yet. Had my 1yr old all day or i would have been out there today for sure.

Frost can cause the ground to heave and buckle, so a shifting of a coin's placement can definitely occur, probably both up and down depending on the scenario. Too many people have experienced an old, pounded field to produce again in spring after the ground thaws to have it be just an old wives tale...
When water freezes it expands - all that moisture in the soil is bound to effect a movement, however slight. If frost can cause blacktop pavement to crack and buckle it sure can move a dime around!

I think it is safe to say that frost heaving can move coins around, but I don't think it affects the MDing experience.

They are down there sobbing because they know there's no chance of rescue until spring. :no:

Kingtotsalot may be the guy who could provide some insight on this. I think he has a background in geology or something environment related like that. Maybe he'll chime in.

I doubt they move at all unless they're shallow. Even when we get deep freezes like we are now in MA, the ground only ever freezes 4-5 inches most. It's still soft dirt below the 6 inch mark where most of our silver is.
Here, our frostline is 42". That's minimum depth for code on footings and such. Burried waterlines are all @ 4ft to keep from freezing. In the spring, all the fields around here sprout rocks like we grow 'em. Even the surface swells. I need to adjust/raise my slider door on my barn because it's dragging now.

I agree with most. Any farmer around here can show you some massive rocks that work their way to the surface over the years. I suspect if you watch a particular coin over a number of years, it's movement in any single year is rather nominal. But given the right conditions over many years the can move many inches.

heres a good exsample for you a park i been hunting for 2 years now that has history on it from the 1600s has had almost 2 feet of dirt added to it in the late 1960s im pulling reales and 1800s coins at 5 to 9 inchs so does things move around over the years i really do beleave it i got spots iv cleaned signals completly out in the spring and now its full of signals again so do i beleave the scientific's of ground movement and material movements in the earth for small objects YEP

heres a good exsample for you a park i been hunting for 2 years now that has history on it from the 1600s has had almost 2 feet of dirt added to it in the late 1960s im pulling reales and 1800s coins at 5 to 9 inchs so does things move around over the years i really do beleave it i got spots iv cleaned signals completly out in the spring and now its full of signals again so do i beleave the scientific's of ground movement and material movements in the earth for small objects YEP

Thats good to know. I like to clean my honey holes out. Always wonderded if i could come back after a good ground freeze and hit some more targets.

Back
Top Bottom