Pound the Ground October - NY

Yup, 1,250 is correct. Just found it on their FB page. They've sold 850 tickets as of September 10th and stated that there's 400 left to sell.

They probably cut back on the total because they lost a lot of the 1,200 acres they originally had permission to use.

I was thinking about going for awhile, but don't really want to make the drive by myself (5 hrs). Also apprehensive about spending the money on food and a hotel room.

I wish my drive was only 5 hours. I’m looking at a 17 hour drive. Wife and are making a long weekend of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have a room reserved in Plattsburgh at the Best Western but I probably will not be using it now that we found different accommodations. I'll be canceling it soon if anyone wants to try to coordinate with me canceling it and you getting it back from them. If that could work somehow.
It has a queen size bed.

Costs $150 to do both the "natural" hunt where no finds are a possibility and the seeded hunt. You can cut costs by doing only one of the hunts. The site is nearly in Canada so it's a long ride for almost everyone.

Wow, never had any seeded hunts around here (live in a small town) so I was not aware they had such big fees, sounds like holding a seeded hunt might be more prosperous than attending one :lol:

Wow, never had any seeded hunts around here (live in a small town) so I was not aware they had such big fees, sounds like holding a seeded hunt might be more prosperous than attending one

The current silver coin melt value is around 13x face. That means you would have to find $11.55 face in silver to break even! I seriously doubt if anyone will be able to do that.

When I did the April hunt at PTG, I found 22 coins, but only $1.80 face in silver. So I paid $75.00 for the hunt and found $23.40 in silver. I did find some IHC's and Buffs, so it wasn't that bad.

The current silver coin melt value is around 13x face. That means you would have to find $11.55 face in silver to break even! I seriously doubt if anyone will be able to do that.

When I did the April hunt at PTG, I found 22 coins, but only $1.80 face in silver. So I paid $75.00 for the hunt and found $23.40 in silver. I did find some IHC's and Buffs, so it wasn't that bad.

And you'd have to find a lot of Indians and Buffalos to break even......assuming they were low grade common dates.

Wow, never had any seeded hunts around here (live in a small town) so I was not aware they had such big fees, sounds like holding a seeded hunt might be more prosperous than attending one :lol:

Prices for those seeded hunts are all over the board. Some reasonable, some not. Some put a lot more in the ground than others too. I attended one on Cape Cod a few years back...cost me $75 for THREE hunts. I got back $55 in clad, some useful prizes for the tokens I found and a Token good for $100 cash.

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m going mainly for the experience and to meet some people that I’ve watched on YouTube or listened to their podcast. If I come back with a silver or two and an early relic, that would be cool. I can feel things going on in my body that makes me think that my time metal detecting is much more limited than I would like. Walking plowed fields is going to be a challenge for me but I also believe in doing something when you can.

I guess as long as someone is doing it as a fun experience realizing they likely won't even break even I can appreciate that.

And you'd have to find a lot of Indians and Buffalos to break even......assuming they were low grade common dates.

:lol: yep, again, it'd have to be more for the experience than the results.

Prices for those seeded hunts are all over the board. Some reasonable, some not. Some put a lot more in the ground than others too. I attended one on Cape Cod a few years back...cost me $75 for THREE hunts. I got back $55 in clad, some useful prizes for the tokens I found and a Token good for $100 cash.

You had fun AND made out on that one !

I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m going mainly for the experience and to meet some people that I’ve watched on YouTube or listened to their podcast. If I come back with a silver or two and an early relic, that would be cool. I can feel things going on in my body that makes me think that my time metal detecting is much more limited than I would like. Walking plowed fields is going to be a challenge for me but I also believe in doing something when you can.

Good point, enjoy the experience while considering any good finds as a bonus !

Way too expensive (costs, gas, hotel, chance of finds)...

The promoter doesn't think it's expensive. He's got the cash to travel to England to hunt, so he thinks $500 (or more) for a hunt is a good deal! Sorry, but not all of us are willing to flush that much for the slim chance of finding something rare or valuable on land that has already been hunted to death by the promoter and his buddies.

The promoter doesn't think it's expensive. He's got the cash to travel to England to hunt, so he thinks $500 (or more) for a hunt is a good deal! Sorry, but not all of us are willing to flush that much for the slim chance of finding something rare or valuable on land that has already been hunted to death by the promoter and his buddies.

Interesting point, that is a real bummer if the promotor and his buddies already hunted that land like you said, you think he said to his buddies - well, we got most of the good stuff, now we'll make some big bucks from charging fees for others to detect behind us ? :laughing:

Edit to clarify: No offense was automatically intended to anyone since I did not have first hand knowledge, that is why I was careful to qualify my original statement with an "if".

Last edited:
What's really interesting is that he hasn't stated what they found there. If it was something valuable or historical, wouldn't they mention it? That would sell tickets a lot faster.

My guess is they found the typical stuff you dig here on the East Coast. Large cents, flat buttons and musket balls, for example. Maybe a KG or two as well. Nice finds, but not worth paying $150 to add them to your collection.

What's really interesting is that he hasn't stated what they found there. If it was something valuable or historical, wouldn't they mention it? That would sell tickets a lot faster.

My guess is they found the typical stuff you dig here on the East Coast. Large cents, flat buttons and musket balls, for example. Maybe a KG or two as well. Nice finds, but not worth paying $150 to add them to your collection.

I can see where your coming from. If your from Rhode Island then you probably have places you can dig those things when you want. Here in Wisconsin, it’s exciting to get an 1800s coins or artifact. They don’t show up much. I’ve never dug a large cent and there’s not any guarantee that I will at pound the ground. In fact odds are that I won’t. One of my other hobbies is to order pay dirt and pan for gold in the evenings watching tv. Odds are that I will never break even on a bag of pay dirt and in fact I’ve had some that I probably didn’t even get back %10 of my investment. And I figure a long weekend with the wife will be worthwhile anyway. I’ll write up a review of my experience after the trip. From the interviews I’ve heard from the people putting this on is that the majority of the land has not been detected and not by them. I can’t remember if it was relic radio or American digger or maybe both

Sorry for being such a downer. I'm sure you'll have a blast. Good luck and be sure to give us all the details of the event.

Back
Top Bottom