Do you go deeper on the beach?

simonthesearcher

Forum Supporter
I went beach detecting for the first time a few days back.I didnt find anything worth sharing but one thing i did notice was that the signals i was getting seem to be a lot deeper than i get inland.I use an Exlporer but im not sure if this has much to do with it.Is it normal for detectors to go deeper on the beach?

i use a minelab also I would say I can get alot deeper with ease.also I believe it is that more coins are just deeper in the sand , they can sink faster then in hard dirt.Most parks I get maybe a couple of coins over 3"(i have dug some at over 7-8 " ) but at the beach about 1/2 of the coins are over 4-5" an some down past a foot.

On my first beach trip I dug a penny nearly two feet down (up to my arm pit plus the spade) it wasnt even very old. Did it just to see if my soverign was tellin the truth. At this point if I cant find it up to my elbow I will usually abandon the dig. All it took was a few more holes this deep only to find that aluminum can. How the heck those get so deep I couldnt tell ya.......................

Fun getting those super deep pennys???

skyfish said:
On my first beach trip I dug a penny nearly two feet down (up to my arm pit plus the spade) it wasnt even very old. Did it just to see if my soverign was tellin the truth. At this point if I cant find it up to my elbow I will usually abandon the dig. All it took was a few more holes this deep only to find that aluminum can. How the heck those get so deep I couldnt tell ya.......................NOT they can make ya crazy and sore fast!!

skyfish said:
On my first beach trip I dug a penny nearly two feet down (up to my arm pit plus the spade) it wasnt even very old. Did it just to see if my soverign was tellin the truth. At this point if I cant find it up to my elbow I will usually abandon the dig. All it took was a few more holes this deep only to find that aluminum can. How the heck those get so deep I couldnt tell ya.......................

The beach is always changing with every cycle of the tide and wind... big storms can take away feet of sand at a time as well as cover the beach with feet of sand... That's what makes beach hunting so exciting for me.

Your EXP will go deeper in clean sand because of the lack of minerals being detected.Things change when you start hitting the salt water, the salt in the water is a mineral and is detectable. Also the black sand on the beach is a form of iron and can impede detection somewhat...But in clean, dry sand you will notice more depth..

Jim

Well thanks guys,now i know.Some of the stuff i was finding was an arms length down which was amazing to me.I cant say i prefer the beach but it makes a change every now and then.

Simon with the right scoop digging deep is easy and target recovery fast.. I usually find my stuff in a scoop or two as I am going down a foot at a time with my big scoop.

More depth at the salt beach

JimInPhilly, most likely hit the nail on the head with his answer.

You may be experiencing more depth at the beach, because the detector has to deal with far less mineralization on the sand, than it has to deal with on the dry land. The dry land can be/usually is, infested with various degrees of iron oxides, and other minerals to give fits to a discriminating detector. The salt areas on the other hand have had a long time to cleanse it?s self of the mineralization. This is most likely the ?why? of the increase in depth.

Another factor that I have noticed on a salt beach/water area, is that at times I feel the signal may be enhanced a bit because of the salts conductivity. I have never noticed this while using a discriminating detector, but is shows up using a Pulse Induction detector. It?s near imposable to duplicate this in any type of testing, if one moves the sand, it disturbs the ground matrix, this in turn changes the target response.

I hope this helps explain some of the reasons. I?m certainly no expert in these matters, just some info. I discovered along they way.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
[email protected]

Mr. Bill
surfscanner.com

Back
Top Bottom