My nicest coin ever, by far !!!!!

bobac

Elite Member
This one makes up for me not digging a silver dollar in my career.

So....A few days ago I had a permission at early 1800s home. I got out there with much anticipation as usual, and as is most often the case it appeared that its already been hit.....I did spend a few hours there though and finally in messy low area that looks like there may have been a tree removed there a few years ago I got SLAMMIN quarter signal....It ended up being a super shallow large cent!!! Well, as I finally threw in the towel and headed for my jeep I noticed the Very old man across the street working in his garden . I walked over and struck up a convo.....soon enough he throws it right out for me..Didn't even have to ask!!!........BINGO. (but I had to go to work)

So I made it out there a few days later with the most excitement I've ever had walking on to an old yard cus this one goes back to 1810 !!! Well, two hours later I can see clearly this yards been hit too......What a huge BUMMER.....So I start retreating back to my Jeep and went back over a few shallow scratchy penny signals I had avoided earlier between the driveway and the front door.....Well the one signal was giving me a scratchy dime-ish sound at 5 inches so I dug for it real quick as I was approaching being dangerously late for work....Well, since the signal was so choppy and this was right near an area that I dug some shallow zincs earlier, I didn't bother recording, I just quickly cut and flipped the plug,but as I was fingering the hole ;) I brushed a silver rim down about 5ish.....So I fired up the camera for the recovery anyway.....
https://youtu.be/xepaENgfgAU
To my astonishment there was a large silver coin in the hole!!! At first I didn't see any recognizable features on it and it had a different shade than any other halves I've ever dug so I thought its gonna be a token.....Nope....shes old and silver and a BEEE EAU TTYYYYY .......And to make things better it’s an error variety too!!! Apparently they used an A for the V in Victoria for a few of them or something....and this one clearly has the cross line in the V..
I would've been ecstatic with just the plain variety...., heck at that point I would've settled for a merc !!!!
This one is BY FAR the sweetest coin of my career.
Just the other day I was thinking man, I haven't dug a Canadian in a long time.....and a few hours later I was thinking man I haven't dug a half in several months......
Here is a link to a large cent I dug around the corner at a corn field.
https://youtu.be/g7L6WwvVE8g
So far this mile stretch of land has yielded 3 large cents, some Injuns, and the old Canadian ....
So this baby makes just 17 silvers for me this year, but I definitely can not complain.
BTW, the last picture has a chart of values which I believe are in Canadian dollars.
(Just wanted to add another fact that there were only a mere 80,000 of these minted in total in 1872, and they were only striking halves like every 3 years for a few decades!!! )

Happy hunting everybody and cherish every one of those sweet finds.....

Attachments

• 20180410_202316.jpg
    20180410_202316.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 713
  • 20180410_202458.jpg
    20180410_202458.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 643
  • old house low.jpg
    old house low.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 665
  • 20180415_003854.jpg
    20180415_003854.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 645
  • 20180415_003950.jpg
    20180415_003950.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 636
  • IMGP5067.jpg
    IMGP5067.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 640
  • IMGP5065.jpg
    IMGP5065.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 648
  • IMGP5054.jpg
    IMGP5054.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 633
  • IMGP5056.jpg
    IMGP5056.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 634
  • cleaned out VIC.jpg
    cleaned out VIC.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 640
  • value.jpg
    value.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 648
Last edited:
You really earned that Coin Bob. Congrats on what looks to be a very fine valued recovery. For that coin being in the ground it is in fantastic condition. I'll trade 10 Rosie's and a couple of 40's Merc's for that Canadian coin, you know just to take it of you hands.;) Trapper

SUPERB digs -- especially the big "error" Canadian silver!

GREAT old sites you are hunting there! Love the pic!

Congrats!!

Steve

That’s just unreal Bob! HUGE old Canadian! Ive never seen one posted or dug that I can recall. And congrats on the LC,the oldies are fun to come across when we do!
I’ll do better than Trappers offer when you’re ready to trade...:grin:

Wow nice find! I have never seen big Canadian silver dug before. That is a nice coin! Congrats!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Nice find! I love those old Canadian silvers. They are definitely a better design than the seated US coins. That coin has great detail too - especially on the crown and leaves.

Back
Top Bottom